1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lightened Bodyshell been done yet, comments please

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by biggus, Apr 20, 2008.

1. biggus

biggus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Has anybody Worldwide done serious modifications to lighten a road going prius ?
    Talking seriously stripped out here like a race or rallycar.

Possibilities include Replacement bodypanels,particularly rear doors and rear tailgate replaced with Carbonfibre
    All Glass except front windscreen replaced with plexiglas,removal of sound insulation,roof cloth,trim,carpet air con,heater matrix,window motors all non essentials.
    Rear seats removed and fronts replaced with Competition wraparounds in carbon fibre. Removal of curtain side airbags a la BMW M3 CSL (BMW say the competition seats negate the need for side airbags). I know Toyotas publicity GT Prius had a Roll cage and was stripped but no weights were disclosed.

The purpose of all this is for hypermiling not Racing. Aero aids added during preparation. Narrower wheels and ultra low rolling resistance tyres also considered.

For concerned Prius lovers above mods to be carried out on Salvage Prius.

Ideas Welcome

2. Hybrid Effects

Hybrid Effects Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We could drill a bunch of big holes in it and cover it with carbon fiber.:eek:

I would be interested in lightening a car.

Creature comforts account for a lot of weight.

let me know if you need any help.

Truth of the matter is that the car is already paper thin and there would be no upholstery left.

I would not change the windows or any design structure unless you want to put a Prius engine in a carbon fiber chassis car.

The most weight saved in the body panels would be the doors if they were carbon fiber that would help.

Thing is the car is probably so light now that is you lighten it more you loose safety ratings.:cool:

Side by side crash test would be different.

When they start building carbon fiber cars the doors will still weigh a lot.:playball:

I bet that the Prius would get over 100 mpg lightened up a bit.

Franklin

3. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    I'd like to puncture some mis-conceptions here. Carbon fibre body panels will end up about the same weight as aluminum body panels (ie - 3rd gen RX-7 has an aluminum hood - aftermarket carbon fibre hood is the same weight).

So punching out the hood or hatch and covering with carbon fibre will not gain you anything.

I'd start by making replacement underhood bracketry out of aluminum. It's easy and very effective, though you will probably only be able to loose about 20 lbs. I suspect you might be able to loose another 80 lbs or so by removing seats etc. Be aware, the Prius stock seats are already pretty light.

I doubt taking off 100 lbs will gain a lot of mileage. Certainly the Volk eco wheels will help. Rotating momentum is a multiplied loss every time you have to change speed.

4. Hybrid Effects

Hybrid Effects Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Dude If I made a 1000 lb Prius including drive train it would bounce like a ping pong ball if it got hit.

OOPS I forgot about the batteries. Maybe add 200 lbs or more.

The weight of the batterys will play into the desighn and effect of crash worthy ness.

5. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi All,

This would take a serious designer, but I think a good place to lighten up the Prius would be the torsion beam rear axle. Carbon Fiber, or titanium, or both.

Are carbon/carbon brake rotors lighter than iron ?

How about tubular titanium half shafts?

As to glazing, Polycarbonate is the lightweight plastic of choice for cars. Been used in various concept cars so far.

Carbon Fiber doors make sense.

Not too much sound deadening to take out of a Prius (any?). There is a insulation panel under the hood, but its there for thermal as much as sound insulation. Pretty light weight.

6. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    So far the lowest RR tires I've seen are the Bridgestone B381s. Most all of the other true low RR tires that were developed in the 80s and 90s have been discontinued. What are advertised today as low RR or mileage enhancing tires seem to have coefficients of 0.85-0.95. The B381s come in at 0.0062-0.0065 depending on whose data you look at. Looks like the stock tires (at least US oem) are pretty decent at 0.00758 as well.
    Low-rolling resistance tires - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Down side to the B381s is they only come in one size, and its a 14". The good thing is the revs/mile is almost exactly the same as the Prius stock tire. Might be a good opportunity to shed some wheel weight as well. They are not cheap but both Enkei and Superlite make sub 10 lb 14" racing wheels that might work.

Its my understanding that the Prius does not currently use any aluminum body panels, although they are a somewhat lighter than usual steel. Still, I would think you could save a fair deal of weight there. Particularly if you don't need all the added weight to make the rear doors functional. I'm sure the weight of the hatch is significant as well. As I understand the big challenge is that a good deal of the Prius' structural strength comes from the body shell itself. Still, with careful bracing, I'm sure that you could even reduce weight there while maintaining strength.

I would think there is a lot of room for simplification under the hood as well. Obviously shedding all the AC equipment would be a good start. I would think that in your climate the cooling system could also be stripped back. Maybe even just two small plastic intercoolers would cut it in place of the existing two part radiator? Given that a number of folks over here are running with their grills completely blocked up into the 50s and 60s F it seems like their must be a lot of margin there. The coolant storage system would probably be another thing to consider tossing, though you might need to add a block heater to keep your warmup times down as that could end up costing you more fuel than you save.

You might consider having a chat with this gentleman, as he chops up Priuses and puts them back together for a living. He'd probably have some very good insights on what stuff weighs, and what you can do without. Steve is a good guy, and has been a big help to a number of folks on the forum. He's also working on PHEV conversions, so you know his interest is in the right place.
    Autobeyours Salvage and Rebuildable Prius cars

I look forward to seeing how this project goes!

Rob

7. SyCo

SyCo Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hood and trunk ;)

Yeah a drag strip Prius :D

8. biggus

biggus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Thanks miscrms, your Tires and rims suggestion is much appreciated, its one area where i wouldn't have huge knowledge.
    Also i agree with your under the hood suggestions, and I'm considering an under bonnet small foam filled aluminium competition fuel tank about gallon capacity(could i go 100 miles on this!). This would allow deletion of factory tank and surrounding bodywork safety firewalls fuel lines and wiring removed also.

A short straight through side exiting exhaust would lose many lbs and reduce back presure but may need careful tuning. Although i'm not looking forward to monotone engine sound although it might be psycologically great for easing off the accelerator.
    Here in ireland cooling is not a major issue so your suggestion of reduced cooling system weight would be very realistic. Also cooling system will have to do less work with less weight.
    Spare wheel well and boot floor cutaway also.
    probably add complete plastic underbody aerodynamic aids, and flexible ground skimming front spoiler.
    Rear doors will not be functional.Bumpers may have structural beams removed.

My target weight reduction would be 100kgs to 130kgs or 240lbs
    Target Gains of 10mpg at worst and 1 sec shaved off 0 to 60 time. Bmw took 110kg out of roadgoing M3 CSL, Using carbon roof,plastic boot,thinner glass,no side bags,no radio or air con,fiberglass seats,thinner trunk floor,carbon front and rear bumpers & brackets along with Thinner exhaust tubing & carbon air intake.