1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lightened Prius anyone. From Ireland been a guest for years,

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by biggus, Apr 20, 2008.

1. biggus

biggus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hi people I've been reading your forums for years. Most impressed with quality knowledge base and technical links/tips.
    Unfortunatly Prius is the family car shared with wife. This means any major ecomomy attempts are reversed as soon as she pops out to the shops.
    Car was replacent for a number of unreliable Mercedes.

Best achieved was 73mpg imperial gallons over 80 miles.
    Real world is 48 to 55mpg, temperate climate.
    I'm lucky enough to have access to a number of cars and have a background in motorsport.
    I'm going to acquire a second Prius possibly accident damaged.(because of what i intend to do to it)

I intend to lighten this to extreme using my race car knowledge. Also would like to try out any viable aerodynamic aids that don't look too silly. The addition of narrower low rolling resistance Tyres is also on to do list.

Your tips would be appreciated, but nobody seems to have had a serious go at lightening a Prius worldwide
    As I get older I see achieving Hypermiles as a new form of Motor sport that could become ultra competive.Pity its so safe!

2. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hi biggus, welcome to PriusChat :welcome: out in the open!

Other than taking out the extraneous stuff like the back seat and all the soft parts you can, it's hard to get lighter. Perhaps lighter rims to go with your skinny tyres?

3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    headliner side panels, air bags, carpet, spare tire, etc ... maybe you'll shed 50 lbs. At best, you'll gain appx 1% for each 100lbs of weight. It might be easier to go on a diet, and have a healty movement prior to departure. Got ex-lax? :p

4. biggus

biggus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Good suggestion hill, I will ensure a major evacuation before departure, but we like to see ourselves as trim in Europe.
    The guys at spyderchat had this link to component weights for toyota MR2/Mrs spyder
    mr2 spyder weight data

My target weight reduction would be 100kgs to 130kgs or 240lbs
    Gains of 10mpg at worst and 1 sec shaved off 0 to 60 time. Bmw took 110kg out of roadgoing M3 CSL, Using carbon roof,plastic boot,thinner glass,no side bags,no radio or air con,fiberglass seats,thinner trunk floor,carbon front an rear bumpers and supports. Thinner exhaust carbon air intake.
    The more sceptical people are about this the more it encourages me. I did it before with race cars...but for different purpose.

5. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Sounds like a great idea! I'm sure there is a lot more room for improvement than most of us would think. Particularly if you are willing to go without certain creature comforts. I look forward to seeing what you can accomplish! I think when we start to see people embracing this type of automotive hobby is when we'll start to see a real shift in behavior. I was surprised to find that I actually get more enjoyment out of trying to get MPGs out of the Prius than I did from tossing my WRX around in the corners.

Rob

6. biggus

biggus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    this thread has moved over to Modification forums