1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

lighting strike

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by drjohn, Nov 10, 2016.

1. drjohn

drjohn New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 2004 Prius was struck by lightning two days ago while driving between Marlin & Waco Texas. There was a bright flash a of light in the middle of the front windshield and a loud popping sound. I coasted to the the side of the road. Antenna melted down to a little blob, but other than that no visible damage. First tow truck couldn't get the car out of gear and had to call a different truck to tow me in. Because of its age and 175,000 miles, the insurance company has ruled the car totaled. I'm expecting a check from the insurance company today which will probably be less that the $3600 I spent three months ago for a new battery.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! swap the battery before turning it in.

3. CooCooCaChoo

CooCooCaChoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    do not know, that battery might have sustained damage from the strike too. But its worth a shot to check the battery out before insurance takes it.

4. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If you have your receipts you might be able to negotiate with the insurance company on the price. When you can demonstrate money recently invested in upgrades, repairs, etc. they will often take those extras into account.

bikes4u likes this.