1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

lights flashing trepidation to take to dealer

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Archieinaustin, Jan 18, 2014.

1. Archieinaustin

Archieinaustin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2005 Prius. Up to date on service.

On my service lights the VSC ((!)) and Check Engine are lit. The car is running fine with no problem with the breaks. Of course the manual says take immediately to the dealer - and I can always count on my dealer finding the biggest problem $$$ possible, so I hesitate. Got me by the .....

Any insight on what this might be. Manual is pretty vague.

Also I've noticed my headlights occasionally forget to automatically shut off like they used to....

All comments welcome.

2. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    KK6PD likes this.
  3. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For some reason, I could not get to the Maintenance Mode by this method. I just checked my battery by using a multi-tester (voltmeter) using the jumpstart connection under the hood and the ground spot recommended by the manual. Battery tested 10.1V....

Here's the "other way" to get into Maintenance Mode:

DO-IT-YOURSELF TEST PROCEDURE (thanks to jdenenberg):
    - Without brake pedal, press the Power button once and release to enter ACC mode
    - Press and hold the MFD Info button, then turn the headlights on and off three times to enter Maintenance mode; release Info button
    - Press “Menu” (on screen)
    - Press “Display Check”
    - Press “Vehicle Signal Check” - the battery voltage is shown and should be about 12.4 to 12.8 Volts (normal for an unloaded battery)
    - Again without brake pedal, press Power button and release to put a current load on the battery - the voltage should stay above 12.0V (if less than 12.0V the battery is not well, or there is a fault or unusual load somewhere)
    - Press brake pedal and press Power button once to enter "Ready" mode - the battery is now charging at about 14V (if less than 13.6V or more than 14.4 there may be a problem with the charging circuit)
    - Turn car OFF to leave Maintenance mode

4. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sometimes if the battery is real weak as was your case, you have difficulty getting the system to work right to get into the test above. There are occasions where the battery will just die during the test also. The digital volt meter is the best test but the MFD is also helpful especially if one wants to monitor the charge on the daily basis without getting out their meter.

Hope this makes sense to ya Kris!

Ron

5. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Also, since your VSC light is on, there should be a code set which can be obtained by getting the blink codes:
    Traction Control Alarm Malfunction | PriusChat

If you can do this, report the results here. Otherwise, you will need to go to the dealer and just get them to scan it. It might be possible for some place like Autozone to scan it for free, but their scanner won't know about Prius specific errors, so it may not be helpful.

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Check the inverter coolant reservoir for fluid turbulence and a step in the fluid level as you look across the reservoir. If you do not see this, the inverter coolant pump has failed (which was the subject of a recall) and that is the root cause.

Your battery desperately needs to be charged, then. Do this overnight, and use your existing charger which is better than no charger at all. Obviously a charger intended for AGM batteries would be best.

7. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Kris,

Is your new battery run down already? Or are you referring to the problems you ran into before you made the swap a week or so ago?

I am :confused: (confused) , and it doesn't take much to do that these days :LOL:

Ron

8. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry, I was typing faster than my brain. AFAIK, my new battery is doing fine. Even checked the Cabin Filter today, and no mice....

Believe me, if I would have had trouble with the new battery, I would have posted a BIG WHINEY post about it....:p

dorunron likes this.