1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lightweight subwoofer?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by mmoncur, Jun 12, 2007.

1. mmoncur

mmoncur New Member

suppose I have a 2007 Prius with the non-JBL 6-speaker system and I'm actually pretty happy with the way the bass sounds.

(Don't laugh! I'm just very sensitive to bass. I grew up with VERY cheap stereos. :eek: )

My biggest complaints about the sound are the muddy mids and low-mids. The high-end is OK, although i'll probably replace tweeters at some point, and there's enough of a bass thump for me already although it seems to be a bit muddy too.

I don't want thumping bass, but I'm wondering if a separate sub (and crossover) would help clean up the sound of the stock speakers, since they wouldn't have to work on the low bass.

So, are there any small, wimpy subwoofers, preferably small enough to squeeze into the front of the car somewhere, that would help with this? (I'd rather not run wires to the boot or lose any cargo space, and I don't think Utah's stereo installers have seen enough Priuses to be trusted with the job.)

Or would I be better off replacing the main speakers instead?

2. RobertG

RobertG New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mmoncur @ Jun 12 2007, 04:59 AM) [snapback]460036[/snapback]</div>
    On the topic of compact subwoofers, I wonder if anyone has heard the new PLV-7 or PLT-5, products from Alpine using linear array transducer (LAT) subwoofers from Tymphany.

3. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  4. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    ^^^
    That Kenwood sub looks like a good package. I'm sure it'll fit, height-wise, but I can't really tell how big that is. It it's phonebook sized, then that should fit under the seat. Having the amp integrated should make for a relatively easy installation.

5. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Presto @ Jun 12 2007, 11:54 AM) [snapback]460218[/snapback]</div>
    * Compact, active bass tube
    * 6.5 inch 150W active system
    * 160mm Silver-coated Cone Woofer
    * Passive Radiator System
    * Dual Voice Coil
    * Aluminium Die-casting Back-Frame and Front Aluminium Plate
    * 1 RCA Input & Speaker Level Input for Easy Up-grade
    * Supplied with Wired Remote (Gain/LPF Frequency/Phase Switch)
    * dimensions: 400mm width, 91mm height, 228mm depth

6. Presto

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zenMachine @ Jun 12 2007, 10:03 AM) [snapback]460224[/snapback]</div>
    Yah.. that should fit, no problem. :)

7. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Presto @ Jun 12 2007, 12:16 PM) [snapback]460236[/snapback]</div>
    OK. I trust you. :)
    (Actually I did go out to the car to measure. As Ronald Reagan used to say, "Trust, but verify!")

Just ordered one from Amazon. $139. Will tell you later how well it fits (and sounds)

8. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zenMachine @ Jun 12 2007, 10:57 AM) [snapback]460319[/snapback]</div>
    Search for it in the forums. A lot of us of the 2005 generation bought one of these (glances at Presto), and talked a lot about it including wiring and such.

The non-JBL people put it under one of the seats, and the JBL people put it in the trunk tray. Some of us wired the controller into the tray that's underneath the center console.

There's various places you can go to get it installed such as Best Buys. Make sure they know what they're doing and familiar with speaker (non-JBL), or JBL-amp wiring especially for the on-off key wire.

9. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NuShrike @ Jun 12 2007, 03:30 PM) [snapback]460379[/snapback]</div>
    I searched every which way and still couldn't find any threads on the Kenwood KSC-SW1.
    Sounds like the wiring could be tricky for the JBL set up. I may end up taking it to a pro shop
    to save the hassle and spare my Prius from getting all messed up by messy me.

I also have a JL Cleansweep unit which I plan to use, but not sure yet how. Any recommendations
    would be appreciated. I don't mind getting another amp if that would give better results, but I don't
    want to get one just to have one.

The idea of switching the front/rear speaker wires sounds intriguing. I'm thinking with that option,
    I can run the rear wires to the JL then feed the output to a new amp to drive the front tweeters/speakers
    and the sub, leaving the (original) front wires driving the rear four (or not use them altogether).
    Would that work?

10. Presto

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zenMachine @ Jun 12 2007, 03:06 PM) [snapback]460428[/snapback]</div>

That's basically what I did, originally. I used the rear speaker wires to connect to my amp (it accepted high-level inputs), and the amp powered my front speakers and the sub. I didn't really care about rear-fill with the back speakers since my front speakers were great enough to handle the soundstage on their own. It worked great, though. Check out Doc's thread. He used Cleansweep on his system.

11. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zenMachine @ Jun 12 2007, 02:06 PM) [snapback]460428[/snapback]</div>
    Here you go. The Search on Priuschat is weak or fairly useless sometimes.

12. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NuShrike @ Jun 12 2007, 11:53 PM) [snapback]460653[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks so much!

Q: The sub mentioned in the threads I've read is the now discontinued KSC-WA62RC, whose width is 15-1/8".
    Everyone said they couldn't fit it under the seat and had to install it in the hatch box. Whereas the newer KSC-SW1 is 15-3/4" wide, yet according to my measurement should (theoretically) fit. Something's not computing. Is it possible that the seat rails are wider in the '07 model?

It also appeared that those who installed this sub used the rear speaker wires to drive the sub. I assume it's because they don't have the JBL-integrated system. True?

Presto, thanks for the link to Doc's install. I probably won't do anything close to that level of complexities, but it's very good info nonetheless. I'm sure I'll have more questions as time goes on...

13. Winston

Winston Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    That Kenwood sub sounds like a perfect solution for the Prius. $140 for a bit more bass. What a deal. I dont want thumping bass, just a little bit more smooth down there. OTOH I do like to turn it up a bit sometimes.

Now that I have installed new front tweeters, the sound is really pretty good. One problem I have is that the door panels rattle if I turn it up a bit. Sounds like I need to install sound dampening in the doors. I was thinking of trying the Fatmat from ebay.

Back to the original OP. I found that I was able to fix the muddy mids by disconnecting the front center speaker and turning the midrange way down. Beyond that I think the problem is due to vibration of the door panels, which can be fixed with sound deadening material.

14. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Winston @ Jun 13 2007, 04:58 PM) [snapback]461151[/snapback]</div>
    I will let you know soon enough how well this baby fits. I'm praying very hard that it'll just slide right under the driver seat, that way I won't have to mess with the hatch box at all.

BTW, which tweeters did you get? How much did you pay for them? Where? And did you have to mod the housing to get them to fit? Thanks.

15. Winston

Winston Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zenMachine @ Jun 13 2007, 03:07 PM) [snapback]461155[/snapback]</div>
    I will have to put my Subwoofer under the floor in the rear hatch compartment since I have the JBL system and there is already stuff beneath both front seats. I have read on other posts that it works real well in that location.

I purchased some A/D/S 246ix speakers on Ebay. I paid $125 for the pair. They list for about twice that. I think they guy is still selling them on Ebay. I described the install on another thread. I was able to fit the tweeters in the existing tweeter pillar location with a little bit of trimming. They are 1" silk dome tweeters. I love them. I will be installing the woofers in the doors when I put in the sound deadening material. The speakers have an option to be mounted as coaxle speakers too. They also have really nice stand alone crossovers, that look like they are of really good quality. However, I cannot use them for the front speakers on the JBL system since, there are separate high and low outputs from the amp.

Good luck with your install.

16. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have good news to report: the Kenwood KSC-SW1 fits like a glove under the '07 front seat (driver side in my case since I have the JBL amp under the passenger seat). Will post some pics later.

Next task: hook it up to see how it sounds. Stay tuned.

17. Winston

Winston Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have something under that driver seat as well as the passenger seat. Anyone know what is under the driver seat? It is a little bit smaller than the amp under the passenger seat.

18. Presto

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    ^^^

That's the GPS

19. mmoncur

mmoncur New Member

Thanks everyone! Sounds like a KSC-SW1 under the front seat is the way to go.

20. desertbriez

desertbriez New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zenMachine @ Jun 15 2007, 07:58 PM) [snapback]462811[/snapback]</div>
    well?????