1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

like's and dislikes about the new prius v

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by Flying White Dutchman, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    well let me startoff ;-)

-i like the new dashboard for part of it
    -i like that its open again somewhat like the gen 2
    -i like the bigger boot ( even that i wont use it ;-) just because its there i like it )
    -i like the back seat being able to go backward so eveb more leg room!

-i do not like the speedo and stuff being so in the middle
    -i do not like just with t he gen 3 that many fake plastic metal parts on the steering wheel and dashboard.
    i prever the toyota auris steering wheel that we have here in the EU.
    - i do not like the ipod connection and place for it so low ( would prever it being in the arm rest )

2. heijx

heijx New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I like the back window (the fact that it actually has a proper one).
    I like the front styling.
    I like the cargo space
    I like the dashboard layout.

I dislike the info panel. I had hoped it would have more of an Auris/Lexus Ct200 look.
    I dislike the fuel numbers: 40MPG avg is 5,9 l/100, or about 135 g CO2/km which misses the tax exemption bar in a lot of countries. In fact, the VW Passat Bluemotion 1.4 TSI is equally efficient on paper....

3. dplatnyc

dplatnyc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I like: (a) the increased cargo volume (at least weekly, I could use more than the current Gen III offers) and normalized rear window which suggests greater visibility; (b) the possiblity of EnTune's superior iPod integration; (c) the 60/40 split on the rear seatbacks; (d) the shift going back to the dash so that the console/armest are not interrupted; (e) the front end looks like it has more of a bumper; (f) the fact that it's still a prius--no giant wheels, SUV-like styling, not a bigger engine or conventional auto shift knob; (g) the one-knob climate control; (h) the iPod placement--dedicated, convenient; (i) white-on-blue climate control indicator which should be easier to read than the current grey LCD; and (j) CD slot above the NAV/audio screen rather than behind it.

I dislike: (a) the side windows in back remain triangular, promising a continued blind spot on either side; (b) the reversion to a Gen II styled grill (matter of taste); (c) the open cupholder in the console; (d) the apparent lack of any new gas-mileage-boosting gimmicks; and (c) center dash styling, which looks oddly squared off and rough to me--I am used to the center position, but the way it lines up and has fake chrome on the left looks unbalanced to my eye.

I withhold judgment on: (a) gas mileage, since it's EPA-based, not real world, which might be better as it tends to be for prius drivers and allegedly for Gen II Honda insight drivers; (b) the display, since we haven't seen how much information it provides, how many screens, etc.; (c) the resin moonroof, which strikes me as susceptible of scratching and fading the way the plastic headlight covers do; and (d) whether or not the dash and center console are still a sort of flying buttress or not--can't tell from the pictures.

My dream addition for the prius is an intelligent cruise control which could be set to high-eco mode, which would do pulse-glide within a 5-10 mph range, keep acceleration to below the center line on the MID's indicator screen, sense incline/decline to control the HSD accordingly and do other hyper-mileage stuff I am not smart enough to think up, let alone execute.

4. tf4624

tf4624 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks great dont get me wrong on that

Won't buy it cause the usage of Nickle battery and MPG.. are way lower then what they could have done.. Which they should have.. Even though they might argue weight

5. Hidyho

Hidyho Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Like the interior room, exterior
    Don't like center dash, don't like that its the same old same old with Toyota, dash needs to offer a newer and customizable look like Ford.

6. 4540flossy

4540flossy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I really didn't like the look of the car, but it looks better IMHO in videos showing the car on the move. I'm not sure I like the pointy angular front section (like the upcoming Yaris) and the rear 3/4 view is extremely heavy, dumpy looking. The small fussy wheels and light colour exacerbate this I reckon, a typical drawback of Japanese styling. In a darker colour with the "turbine" style wheels, it might look better? I know the interior is more practical, but the dash seems fussy and blocky. I was also hoping for PHV tech on the V..

Still saving the pennies for a "classic" Prius plug-in!

7. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    i like to keep going with the I LIKE and I dont like beginning ;-0

8. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I don't like the loss of 10 mpg on the official figures! That is a significant difference to the existing 2010 Prius.

9. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

i expect European numbers would be quite different and closer to CT200h.

10. stevemcelroy

stevemcelroy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think that the v looks pretty cool, but am amazed that a car that seems to be just a bit bigger than the standard Prius takes such a big fuel economy hit. I guess that it just shows what a terrific combo the current Prius is and that Toyota has wrung everything out of it.

What really intrigues me is the c. The styling of the front is a bit odd, but the back is reminiscent of one of my all time favorite cars - the Volvo 1800. This is the new Prius that I could see myself being interested in buying when the time comes for a new car.

11. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I was converting 40 mpg US to be about 48 mpg UK. The US figures seem to reflect real life use more than the 'the best the car will ever ever do in ideal conditions' figures used in Europe. However, using the US figures this new car is still down 10 mpg or 15 mpg UK from the Prius real life figures. This is not fantastic and brings the car into the same economy as many many diesels cars of similar size. Also, because of this poorer economy, this model won't be eligible for the tax benefits that make the Prius & Auris HSD popular.

Perhaps I should now just await the release of the Plug In Prius.

12. Much More Better

Much More Better Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My list of dislikes is much longer than likes so I won't bother. However, I will say I am not disappointed in the MPG because I expect to trade weight/cargo capacity for efficiency. Some armchair CEOs here expect Toyota to wave some magic wand.

I am curious to Entune and the resin moonroof. I like the potential of bringing more customers to the Prius brand. Otherwise, nothing about the v excites me at all.

13. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I like the:

- exterior design
    - interior centre console and centre dash design
    - redesigned climate control
    - larger boot area
    - slide/recline rear seats
    - two-tone leather seats (looks like it in the photos)
    - PanoramicView moonroof
    - Rear door pockets with bottle holder

I don't like the:

- centre pod. Prefer it slightly towards the driver like in the current Prius
    - the spring-loaded cupholder on the passenger side
    - the generous use of plastic in the boot
    - the rather thick D pillar

14. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, my biggest disappointment with this revision is the lack of a third-row seat. I'm planning on doing a hiking trip with a bunch of my friends over spring break, and I was trying to figure out what car I could rent to fit 6 people+gear into (I only have an old Accord which obviously won't fit 6).

Stateside, the only options we have for that are full-size SUVs (think Highlander) or Minivans! Which basically means you'll be driving a boat and getting sub-25 highway mpg while doing it. Not exactly an ideal choice when you want to go on a roadtrip putting on thousands of miles. In Europe, there's the Verso which has 3 rows of seats in a wagon body. I was hoping the Prius v would bring that to the states in a hybrid package.

Alas, no such luck, which is really a bummer imho.

15. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Highlander is hardly full size. If you want a small 7 pass suv, don't over look the RAV4 V6. It seats 7, gets 27mpg highway, and it's faster than the stock Supra Mark III turbo back in the days.

16. Jands

Jands New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A drop in mpg is expected but all you really get for it is extra cargo space...third row of seats would have made the mpg drop bearable and the car more versatile (pardon the pun).

I can't see this coming to the EU...where diesels will be cheaper, the only thing going for it is lower emissions.

17. M8s

M8s Retired and Lovin' It

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Likes, Dislikes and Information Wish List

Use of existing, proven ICE and Battery
    Fuel Economy (I "get" why it doesn't achieve 50 mpg)
    iPod station
    Greater Storage
    Slide/recline rear seats
    Two tone interior
    Plastic on rear seat backs

Don't like:
    Center Cup Holder (let's have a "versa holder" with various inserts for cup, sunglasses, cell phone, change, gate/garage door opener, whatever)
    Full length center console (prefer G2 Prius arm rest with drawers)

Information Wish List:
    Where can I see one?
    What will it cost?
    When can I sign up for one?
    Will two sets of golf clubs fit sideways (comfortably) in the rear with the rear seats up?
    Can I get it without moon/sun roof?
    Can I get leather without options I don't want?

18. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Interesting that noone has commented on the fact that they are using the same uncomfortable steering wheel as the regular Prius. They really need to fix the placement of the spokes.

19. Mr. D

Mr. D Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Not a big fan of the new Prius v. I really never like the shifter on the dash. Just doesnt do anything for me

20. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Perhaps I should of just withheld ALL my comments until I can see one in person.

Just judging from a video and pictures?

The passengers side "cup holder" looks dime-store cheap. And like one of those very restrictive type as far as what size they hold. Why bother? Maybe I'd like it better in person but was not impressed...

Sounds petty, but if this is a vehicle designed for everyday family use...things like cupholders, change holders, "space for stuff" is important...and the overall cargo space might be impressive, but built in spaces for all the gadgets, tools and toys of modern living seemed spartan.

Maybe there is more than I've seen. So this criticism is presented with the caveat...let me see it in person. But on the surface....wasn't impressed with what appeared to be a lack of personal space options...even if total cargo space has increased.