1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Limit charging power

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Technical Discussion' started by peternumber2, Jan 10, 2024.

1. peternumber2

peternumber2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all,
    I got my new prius phev yesterday, after waiting for almost three months...

Question:
    Since I'm charging it in my garage, and I don't trust the quality of the garage's electrical wiring, I would like to use the built in option to limit amperage, but that option is greyed out in the settings menu. Why?

Thanks

bisco likes this.
  2. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    I recall that wasn't available in some modes, but can't remember which - try both READY mode and in POWER ON mode while plugged in.

Might be that the cable control device is already limiting to 8A - the one Toyota supplies in Finland+France does. Although I believe you should have the 10A version in Italy - check the label and part number.

3. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It's not possible to switch that setting while the car is charging and there might be other times when the car is plugged in that the 8 Amp might be grayed out. 8 Amp setting should be available for sure when the car is not plugged in / unplugged.
    How long does it take to charge? If you are timing the charge please note at what 'SOC you started.

4. Mr.Vanvandenburg

Mr.Vanvandenburg Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    What voltage is the supply, 220-240? You could check for voltage drop on the wiring circuit when evse is plugged in, or call an electrician to check everything. In America the car on board charger is 3.3 kw. max. or 13.75 amps at 240 v.
    The amperes here is selectable only on the 120 volt charging as far as I know.

5. peternumber2

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks all for your prompt replies. Today I checked again and the 8A option was available. I enabled it. It should charge the battery in 9 hrs, starting from 0 SOC. I'LL check and report.​

OT why didn't I get the wireless phone charging slot??? Seems that no EU trim includes it....

6. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    When the charge setting has max enabled on my Gen 4 Prime at 120 volts it takes 6 hours to charge from 0% SOC and at 220 volts it takes 2 hours If I switch on the 8 Amp setting and plug into the home 120 volt outlet I've seen the charge time estimate as high as 12 hours.

7. peternumber2

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Here in Italy (230V), plugging it at home :
    it takes a bit less than 5 hours and limiting the current to 8A results in a bit less than 9 hrs.

reallyreal and vvillovv like this.