1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Limp mode turtle light goes on, car drives 5 miles fine, light goes off, why?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by peripatetic pri, Jun 20, 2018.

1. peripatetic pri

peripatetic pri Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Hello! This limp mode light has been driving me crazy for at least 3-4 years. Some of you may remember I also had the hybrid system warning light go on (P 3000 P 3006) nearly 4 mos. ago; codes were cleared, hasn't been on since.
    Limp mode most recently happened twice last Nov '17; once it just went off on its own when I restarted car; once it went off the second the tow truck arrived; there were no codes when it got to dealer.

In limp mode issues a few years before that there was damage indicated to one cylinder coil and that was replaced. In one case spark plugs were just switched around.

In 2 cases when limp mode occurred it was hot (for Seattle area) mid-80's, car had been parked in hot sun; it definitely didn't drive well.

Is there anything that could be causing this?

Thank you.

2. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The codes you have, are HV battery system related. The p3006, talks about likely modules problem on block #6.

Disassembled the pack, and check what actually is the problem. But before that, your tech stream software would shade more light on the state of the modules in the various blocks.

PS: bad voltage sense wires, and a burnt out voltage harness connection at the ECU connection are possible reasons for the problems.

#2 Dxta, Jun 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2018