1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Line level input to JBL amp

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Flaninacupboard, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Flaninacupboard

Flaninacupboard Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm trying to find a line level source for my sub/amp. I have the JBL system, and have a found the thread with pinout for high level connections. Does the JBL amp have a line level input i can tap into, or is it's input already high level from the stock headunit?

Think we could do with a sticky on this topic...!

2. GeoGeek

GeoGeek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The short answer is "no" unfortunately.
    The signal coming from the factory head unit to the JBL amp under the passenger seat is a digital signal. To get a suitable signal for an aftermarket amplifier you're going to need to work with the electronically crossed-over, equalized, and DSP'ed (time delayed) high level signal coming out of the JBL amp. There are a few ways to do this: some have used a device like the JL Audio SSi and CleanSweep...you could also use a processor like the Audison Bit One, the Rockford Fosgate ThreeSixty.2, Audio Control DQL-8....but probably the best tool for the job would be the JBL MS-8.

The other option is to scrap the factory amp & head unit altogether and go with an aftermarket head unit like many folks on this forum have.

3. Flaninacupboard

Flaninacupboard Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ahh i see, i didn't consider it having a digital input. i don't suppose it's a standard S/PDIF signal so i could use a normal DAC on it?

If not my sub amp does have level inputs so i guess i can use those instead.

4. GeoGeek

GeoGeek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm not sure about the format of the digital signal. I've read about devices that let you jump into the signal path in a couple select German-made vehicles (BMW & Mercedes), but I haven't heard of a similar animal for Toyota.
    The hi-level inputs on your amp may be rather tricky, since none of the signals coming off the factory amp are full range and un-processed. I suspect that the 6x9's in the front doors are the closest to a true sub signal....ideally, you'd be feeding full range signal to the aftermarket amp.

5. Radiospank

Radiospank Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    well this sucks I was hoping to keep the factory head and using a full signal to my amp/ sub.
    right now I'm using the outputs of the jbl amp but its sending an amplified signal causing my loc to clip very early

6. Radiospank

Radiospank Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    nvm scratch that the amp outputs are fine to use but they do have the processing from the amp which may or may not be desirable. I haven't noticed anything unusual about the rear channel in terms of freq response for my subwoofer