1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Link TV documentary on gender imbalance in China

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by cwerdna, Oct 3, 2006.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    http://www.linktv.org/programming/programD...p4?code=looking

I had my Tivo record the above but haven't had much time to watch much of it yet. It'll be rerun a few more times if you receive Link TV (it's on my DirecTV lineup). It was kinda interesting.

60 Minutes did a brief story on this a few months ago. You can read about this at http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/04/13/...in1496589.shtml. Here's a choice quote from the above:

'"In world history, there has never been a bride shortage as large as is about to hit China," says political scientist Valerie Hudson of Brigham Young University, who co-authored a book on Asia's male surplus.

She and other scholars have compiled statistics going back centuries that show too many unmarried males in a society spells trouble."'

Discuss. :D

2. jared2

jared2 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cwerdna @ Oct 3 2006, 04:44 AM) [snapback]327207[/snapback]</div>
    Odd. When I was in China a while ago there was certainly no shortage of beautiful young women - wait a minute! I didn't notice anything.

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ Oct 3 2006, 07:29 AM) [snapback]327269[/snapback]</div>
    LOL! The documentary mentioned the problem was most noticeable in the country. In the city, the problem is masked somewhat by just the sheer # of people.

Apparently, there's another problem now. There are a lot of single, educated Chinese women who want to stay single and are rather picky who live in the city (many have moved away from the countryside). They focused on this one guy who lived in the country who is rather poor as a result who moved to Beijing in the hopes of earning more money and finding a gf.

4. jared2

jared2 New Member

"They focused on this one guy who lived in the country who is rather poor as a result who moved to Beijing in the hopes of earning more money and finding a gf."

There years from now he will own a dating service business and drive an Audi A6. And he will have a gf.

5. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ Oct 3 2006, 10:50 AM) [snapback]327388[/snapback]</div>
    LOL! Unfortunately, in the documentary, he gave up after 2 months and moved back to the country. He felt like he didnt belong in the big city, esp. since he knew 0 people in Beijing when he got there.

6. jared2

jared2 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cwerdna @ Oct 4 2006, 02:16 AM) [snapback]327735[/snapback]</div>
    Well can't be right all the time. I happen to know a lot of people in China who are doing very well. A few have become seriously wealthy.

There is a growing problem in China with the increasing gap between rich and poor (even wider now than in the US). I am reading an excellent book about life in China - Oracle Bones by Peter Hessler. I recommend it to anyone interested in China.