1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

LinkTV

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by marjflowers, Oct 29, 2006.

1. marjflowers

marjflowers New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have in the last week discovered LinkTV on DirecTV channel 375, and I am hooked! It receives no commercial or government support -- viewer supported with support of several foundations. Its mission is to provide an alternative voice to corporate sponsored (including NPR) media. They have a daily news program called Democracy Now that reports stories not usually picked up by CNN, Fox, etc. They also have a program that airs international news from the Middle East -- mindblowing!

I've watched some fascinating documentaries. One series was on the merging of religion and government. Another traced the path of oil from the Middle East and Venezuela to refineries and eventually to our automobiles. Tonight I watched one about the impact on the news and information we receive being owned by a very few corporations. The title was Orwell rolls in His Grave -- very thought provoking. Also I've seen several programs about various civil liberties.

I consider myself a news junkie -- mostly CNN, Fox, and PBS along with reading several newspapers, so I consider myself reasonably informed. But watching LinkTV has been an eye-opening experience. I wouldn't want to use it as my only source of information, but it certainly provides a perspective i don't see anywhere else. I highly recommend it. Unfortunately, it's only available through satellite TV and cable in about 3 cities.

Peace --

2. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

Sounds great -- too bad we switched to cable when we got HD.

3. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Democracy Now is also available on some radio stations, as well as by streaming audio and by podcasting. Also streaming video via BitTorrent.

http://www.democracynow.org/

Or click on podcasts in iTunes and search for Democracy Now. You can have iTunes automatically download each day's program, and then listen on your computer or put it on your portable player. I presume other programs as well can download podcasts.

4. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Oct 30 2006, 11:25 AM) [snapback]340604[/snapback]</div>
    Democracy Now is also available via MobilCast (http://www.melodeo.com/) so you can listen to it on the go without having an iTunes dependency. I listen to that with the BBC news update and the NPR updates. Very handy stuff on the go.

5. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonnycat26 @ Oct 30 2006, 07:31 AM) [snapback]340606[/snapback]</div>
    Yep. Lots of options. Basically, if you've got a computer and internet access (preferably broadband) you can listen to it.