1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lisle Wheel Bearing Tool

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by TomLaNa, Feb 13, 2024.

1. TomLaNa

TomLaNa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    At 140,000 miles the front driving wheel bearing on our 05 Prius needed replacing and I used the same hub bearing tool that I used on our Subaru Outback. It took a little longer on the Prius mostly because there are only two places to leverage the bearing with the tool but with a small sledge hammer it popped out in about 15 minutes.

[​IMG]

Forgot to take a before picture but here is the tool and as the threaded rod is advanced it will engage the spots where the brake carrier bolts on to the assembly. When the hub starts to move the shroud can be moved and the rod can engage a few more points. I also use the bracket as a place to hit with a sledge hammer.

#1 TomLaNa, Feb 13, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2024
  2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yes you can also use a slide hammer but usually I have the whole hub off the car where you're at right there is just another four nuts and I'm usually changing the lower ball joint with the hub bearing actually I have the hubs ready to go already off the car so to change them out as you know like 45 minutes aside and it's a real bonus when I can change the strut at the same time but yeah good show they will just beat right out.