1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

List Dealers Charging Over MSRP

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by priuswant2b, Aug 2, 2004.

1. priuswant2b

priuswant2b New Member

I would like to gather a list of dealers that are ripping off customers by charging a "market adjustment" over the MSRP so that we can direct business away from them. In fact, I am on my third Toyota, but I am considering changing brands because I am so unhappy with how they are distributing the Prius.
    I say vote with your feet, and this will allow us to know who not to go to.

2. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Yes, you should avoid gougers; and obviously you can vote with your feet; but there are reputable dealers and Toyota is doing everything within its power to supply enough Prii to meet demand. Not all dealers will listen to whatever Toyota would say in any event. MSPR is just that "suggested" price; the dealer and customer always decide the final price.

Personally I will never pay over MSRP. If I would have, I would now be driving a Mini Cooper S rather than a Prius but when introduced there was a two-plus year wait unless you wanted to pay at least a $6k premium.

3. Mike the Prius

Mike the Prius New Member

Daytona Toyota Fails to Honor Guarantee

Daytona Toyota has a "Lowest Price Guarantee" which says if you find a car for sale elsewhere for less, they will honor the price. Well they would not honor this on my Prius even though I found one at MSRP but not convenient to me. They wanted their $10,000 markup instead. So I wouldn't do business with them if I were you. Feel free to call them and verify my story. 1-800-379-3199 I am reporting them to the BBB, Florida Department of Consumer Affairs, and FTC for false advertising.

4. Brian

Brian Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Re: Daytona Toyota Fails to Honor Guarantee

Good for you!! Seriously. I really hope something works out for you, regarding this. A $10,000 mark up!?!?!?! That is crazy!!!

5. mshappe

mshappe New Member

I agree that a $10k markup is insane. I also agree that a dealership that explicitly has a low-price guarantee and then won't honour it is beneath contempt.

I'm not sure that all markups are inherently evil in this market environment.

I'm very glad I didn't wind up having to pay one, but I was prepared to pay a reasonable one (up to $2k on a #9, less for a lower package, obviously) if it meant getting a car a little sooner.

6. ebcain

ebcain New Member

MarkUp

Antioch Toyota had a couple of 04 pkg # 9's on their showroom floor and they were marked up around 6K. I bought mine at Lithia Toyota in Vacaville CA and paid a little under MSRP (very little). Internet salesman Tom Horn was very good to work with.

7. eastercat

eastercat New Member

Toyota of Plano

If you're in Texas, Toyota of Plano has
    already gained a bit of infamy as charging
    ($5000) over MSRP. It's possibly highest
    bidder as well, but since I won't go there,
    I don't know.
    And, of course, you already heard about
    Vandergriff Toyota of Arlington from the
    travails of bigbaldcuban.

Esther

8. streyle

streyle New Member

Koons Tysons Corner Toyota in VA sells at $4000 over MSRP!

9. mac2gul

mac2gul New Member

Germane Toyota (Naples FL) quoted me $5,000 over MSRP.
    AVEs Motors (Hurley WI) sold to me July '04 at MSRP.

10. HerkyHawk

HerkyHawk New Member

Bob Howard Toyota in Oklahoma City (Edmond) charges anywhere from $3K to $5K over MSRP. Plus, they are terrible to do business with. They essentially lied to us about an order we placed for a Prius they claimed was coming in. That car never existed, but they pretended for months that it did.

I've also heard that other dealerships in OKC charge over MSRP.

11. rflagg

rflagg Member

Wow, really? I only paid $1k over MSRP for mine from Koons back in Feb '04, and I believe someone else on this board got it at MSRP from Koons.

-m.

12. weezer4272

weezer4272 New Member

Thomas Toyota

First I have to say this site has been a great resource. I've been on a waiting list since March and I've heard late September/early October from my local dealership. As I read on these forums about people hunting around for a stray Prius I thought I might try this myself. I'm found one at a dealer probably 3 hours away that was a 9, I want a 7, and I emailed to see if it was available. I was shocked to find out she wanted 29,239.00 for it. She claims the 3k over MSRP is normal for the area. I guess I'll just have to wait it out.

13. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    weezer, you forgot to name the dealer so people know who to avoid. Or better yet, email that they are not doing business with them now, or in the future, due to their greedy policies.

14. weezer4272

weezer4272 New Member

I posted the name of the dealer in the subject line.
    It is Thomas Toyota in Joliet IL. What does Toyota Corp. do about dealers who do this? Is it supposed to be regulated at all? I thought I read somewhere that it was corporate policy not to sell above MSRP, though I can understand why the dealers would if they can get away with it.

15. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    :oops: Sorry, I didn't see that :oops:

I believe Dianne has said the dealers can do whatever they want with the price of cars. I assume that if a ton of them were charging $5K over and people weren't buying because they don't think the price is reasonable, Toyota could set some rules. Certainly, since Toyota wants to put HSD in all their lines, they would prefer their customers not get turned off to the brand by greedy dealers.

16. djfrugal

djfrugal New Member

more dealers

Over MSRP:

HOLLYWOOD, CA
    GLENDORA, CA
    PASADENA, CA (emailed me today saying they have some #9s in stock for 29,000 after I complained about 33,000)
    VALENCIA, CA

I put my name on the list at: Bakersfield and Longo Toyota since they said upfront they don't charge over MSRP

17. brettray

brettray New Member

In the California Bay Area:
    Dublin Toyota is charging $1,000 over MSRP.
    Toyota of Walnut Creek is charging MSRP.

18. slumbum

slumbum New Member

Hartford Toyota Superstore

I went in to buy a 2004 Prius #9. I loved the demo, which they were advertising as used and available. The salesman ignored my request for a best price for the used, instead, he tried selling me a new 2004 for about $29,600. I laughed at him. He brought it down to $28.

He offered me 4k for my 98 Rav, which brought my total to $24K

I was ready to sign the dotted line, but then I thought...That's $28k, which is 2 thousand above MSRP. My trade in is only making a $2k hole in my purchase price.

Sad thing is, if he brought worked with me to bring down a little more I would have taken the deal. I walked. I'm not rich and I would have appreciated more effort on his part seeing how this is the second time I bought a car from their dealership, and I was paying cash and in-full again. I am wondering if I will ever get one now, since I am not waiting 3 months for anything, not even the Queen of England.

19. mmapes

mmapes New Member

Boulder Toyota hides its over-MSRP

Boulder Toyota (as of Spring 2004) will NOT sell you a prius without their "high altitude sealant" package for $900 -- it sounds like the basic Scotch Guard & Wax job.

20. enerjazz

enerjazz Energy+Jazz=EnerJazz

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Many dealers in Texas add overpriced port (a.k.a. PORK) packages. The "value package" adds $930 of mostly dealer profit to the order. After waiting for almost 5 months and telling the dealer monthly that I did NOT want the port package it showed up with one. Their attitude was take or leave it - plenty of buyers in line. Then I found out they screwed up the order entry and almost cost me the $300 price increase too. See saga at http://www.priuschat.com/forums/viewtopic....4182&highlight=

Don't shop at Toyota of Longview (TX).