1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

lithium in 2008?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by slioch2007, May 13, 2007.

1. slioch2007

slioch2007 New Member

This article was just published on the web:

Energy Independence Found in Solar-Electrical Vehicles
    San Fernando Valley Business Journal Online (subscription) - Woodland Hills,CA,USA
    Toyota has purchased $350 million of lithium ion battery packs from Korea that will be placed in the Prius 2008 model. The new 6-kilowatt battery packs will ...

I don't have a subscription to the above journal. But the leader seems unusually specific.

Here's the link:

http://www.sfvbj.com/industry_article_pay....amp;aID2=113372

2. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(slioch2007 @ May 13 2007, 03:00 PM) [snapback]440935[/snapback]</div>
    I can't believe it.
    Toyota uses NiMH batteries made by Panasonic EV Energy working with Matsushita.
    http://www.wheels.ca/article/26905
    'Takimoto declined to confirm the speculation, but added that Toyota's lithium-ion battery, under development with Matsushita Electric Industrial Co., was technically ready to be mounted on hybrid cars "any time."'

Ken@Japan

3. briloop

briloop Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    This article makes me want to hold off until 2008 to buy a Prius.

4. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe I'm nuts, but I wouldn't want to have the first production year of anything even if it's supposed to be great new technology. On the other hand that might make it somewhat sensible to produce a year or two of "mules" to look for any bugs before releaseing it in the much-hyped, highly anticipated redesign. Still, I doubt they would do that.

5. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(briloop @ May 13 2007, 03:15 AM) [snapback]440989[/snapback]</div>
    While the article is apparently another example of erroneous "news" it's pretty much believed that the 2009 model year Prius will be improved and may have lithium batteries, but probably won't be a plug-in. The 2009 model year would come out towards the end of 2008.

So if you wait a year and a half, and get on the list early enough, you could get one of the first of the new model. Almost certainly the model year 2008 will have the same drive train as the 2004 - 2007.

On the other hand, if you drive less than 40 miles a day on city streets only, you could get a ZAP Xebra and pay $1 for 50 miles worth of electrons. B)

6. pola

pola New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(briloop @ May 13 2007, 04:15 AM) [snapback]440989[/snapback]</div>

My boyfriend has read that lithium batteries are more apt to catch on fire than the ones they use now.
    he also said he is sure Toyota is aware of that, etc..
    However, that made me think i should get one now, and wait about 3 yrs. to make sure the new one is safe and the problems have been worked out.
    Usually there are problems in the first 2 years..
    just my two cents.

7. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pola @ May 13 2007, 04:31 PM) [snapback]441271[/snapback]</div>
    Perhaps true in laptops and other "small" electronic items, but research has been ongoing to eliminate that possibility. I'm certain they won't be putting lithium batteries in cars, until after they're are sure they is no danger of fire.

Dave M.

8. pola

pola New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dmckinstry @ May 14 2007, 09:53 AM) [snapback]441671[/snapback]</div>
    You're probably right, Dave,... but there may be other kinds of unexpected problems in the first 2 yrs, right ?

9. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pola @ May 13 2007, 04:31 PM) [snapback]441271[/snapback]</div>
    Trying like heck not to sound snotty.... has your boyfriend (or you?) ever seen gasoline burn? It burns by DESIGN. The Li batteries that they put in automobiles will certainly be safer than gasoline.

And yes, there are usually some kinks in any first model year car. Though there are also those who believe that first model year cars are a bit over-built, and subsequent years suffer removal of some "unneeded" durability for cost savings.

10. pola

pola New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ May 14 2007, 10:23 AM) [snapback]441701[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, actually my boyfriend DID tell me that - about gasoline in the past... it was mainly my theory, which is usually wrong.
    thanks for your input.
    i know i can't wait til the end of '08 or '09, only to be possibly put on a long waiting list.
    take care,

11. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I read somewhere a while back when the laptops catching on fire scare was going on that the most likely cause was poor design of the exterior of the battery that can allow for tiny dents mostly unnoticeable to the battery from rough use, which internally increases the chance for a short inside the battery causing it to ignite and rupture.
    That being said I believe thier primary concern is being able to control the cost of the li-ion to keep their costs down.