1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Litium Plug In

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by pr0230, Apr 7, 2009.

1. pr0230

pr0230 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Hello.. I am a potential Prius owner... Im looking to get a 2010 but I would like to have the NEW Lithium Power /Plug in...

For the likes of me, With many companies offering Lithum batter conversion kits, why is Toyota NOT coming out Li_Ion Power...

for me not having Li batteries is a deal breaker.

Im also suprised that there is not more discussion about not having the new power source.

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    You've got a wait for LiIon. They have said that the small gains in fuel economy running LiIon right now would be negated by the high cost to produce the packs.

I'm sure down the road this will change but not now. It has also been discussed in othr threads, that's why you dont see anything about it now. Just search and read some of the older threads.

Considering no other major manufacturer is using LiIon right now, how could it be a deal breaker? or do you jsut mean you wont be buying anything new at this time?

As for the Plug In, we're all waiting for that but it's not now so any talk about it is pure speculation. They are testing a VERY small number of LiIon plug ins in the US starting the end of the year but it is a SMALL number of vehicles and for fleet only... So keep an eye and ear out come 2010, then we'll probably hear much more...

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    As Paradox points out, Li-ion doesn't really buy you much in the way of gains for ordinary hybrid operation. The payoff for newer battery technology comes later with plug-ins.

Tom