1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Little drawer beneath the cup holders???

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Miss_Taz, May 3, 2006.

1. Miss_Taz

Miss_Taz New Member

Monday night my new 2006 arrived, so I had to clean out the 2005
    in order to give it up on trade in.

As I'm climbing around the floor, looking for spare change under the mats,
    I noticed something I had never seen in all my 14 months of owning the 2005...

Under the cup holders, there is a pull out drawer... It pulls out toward the dash,
    and is quite spacious in storage.

I couldn't believe my eyes. How could I have missed this? :huh:

Needless to say, the new 2006 also has this "secret" drawer.

Am I the only one who missed this little secret? Am I just that oblivious???

I showed it to my salesrep and she was also shocked to learn that it was there...

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Miss_Taz @ May 3 2006, 08:13 AM) [snapback]249027[/snapback]</div>
    LOL! I'd forgotten that so many people didn't know about that. It's a perfect size for one of the little travel boxes of tissues. Also, some of the supersize mugs sit well in there as a sort of cup holder (not real stable mind you, but if you have to have your hands free it's better than nothing.

Go crawl around in the cargo area, make sure you know all the little hidden areas there too.

3. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    If it'll make you feel any better, Taz, I didn't know about it either. Thanks for discovering it, we would have been waiting forever for Evan to get 'round to it :D

Just kidding, Evan.

4. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :rolleyes: **SIGH**

2004 Owner's Manual, page 2 (Item 8) and page 195 show the "console box." Probably near the same page in the '05 & '06 Manuals.

There are other "goodies" to be discovered by reading the Owner's Manual and John's Prius Owner's Manual on his site:

http://john1701a.com/

5. Catskillguy

Catskillguy New Member

I missed this also until I saw it referenced in another post. I find it the perfect size for the foldup maps!

6. yauman

yauman New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Miss_Taz @ May 3 2006, 06:13 AM) [snapback]249027[/snapback]</div>
    Now.. the final question - do you know you have TWO 12-volt outlets in the car - and where is the 2nd one?
    (I told my wife that and she's the primary driver and it took her 6 months to find it!!!)

7. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :mellow: yauman

Try Page 190 of the Owner's Manual "Power Outlets" shows the Instrument Panel AND the "Rear Console Box"

?? What do Prius owners have against reading the Owner's Manual ?? Could it be that they can't read ??

8. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I keep my hairbrush in that handy drawer... :D

9. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rancid13 @ May 3 2006, 01:23 PM) [snapback]249120[/snapback]</div>
    I keep my keys for work in there.

10. Miss_Taz

Miss_Taz New Member

Well, I'm glad at least ONE other person admitted to not knowing it was there!!!

I don't read owner's manuals from cover to cover. I consider them reference manuals, and only read them when I have a question about HOW TO do something or when I suspect something isn't working properly.

I can't imagine having time to read every owner's manual I have for everything. I just don't have that many hours in the day. It's also pretty darn boring reading (for the sections that I have perused for something).

And if I miss out on a secret little drawer for the first 14 months of ownership, then I guess that's the price I pay! :)

But now that I know it's there, I've gotta brainstorm and think of what to put there!!! I like the tissue idea and possibly the maps (which I current have stuck in the driver's door and I think they look tacky)...

Hm... What to do? :-D

11. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(yauman @ May 3 2006, 10:00 AM) [snapback]249098[/snapback]</div>
    Two? Mine has three.

12. kfarad

kfarad Junior Member

:blink: WHoa! I didn't know that was there! I just ran out to the car to check it....Thanks!

I've had my Prius for about 2 weeks... every day I notice some awesome new feature! The car doesn't cease to amaze me.

Like this weekend I used the blue tooth cell phone connection to call a POI on the first time...

A couple days I accidentally discovered that it will unlock the door if you put your hand on the handle if the key is in your pocket...

And every day I notice cosmetic nuances... the little rubber edge on the door... the inverted door bumper, the shape of the hood... ahhh I'm smitten!

13. Rancid13

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(beeri @ May 3 2006, 10:48 AM) [snapback]249142[/snapback]</div>
    Did you find the sunglasses holder yet? How about the small hidden compartment in the cargo area (on the left side)? :D There are many fun discoveries to be had with the Prius...and I'm gonna assume you know that you don't have to put the key/fob into the slot to start up the car-keep it in your pocket and hit the power button-see what happens. :)

14. Miss_Taz

Miss_Taz New Member

You know one of the other things I didn't ever notice on my 2005 (even though it WAS THERE), but which I discovered on this 2006 is...

The little removeable shelf for the upper glove box!

It's really funny -- I had seen that little plastic tray sitting in the bottom of that upper glove box and thought "what the heck is this for?" but never really was interested enough to check it out. This time I picked it up, and realized it sits on the little ledges in the upper glove box to make a shelf.

Not sure what the HECK it can be used for (as the upper glove box is already TEENY), but it sure is a shelf, alright!

15. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Miss_Taz @ May 3 2006, 10:59 AM) [snapback]249147[/snapback]</div>
    I keep my book that I use to record car purchases (gas, oil, tires) on mine. Keeps it separate. Make sure you put it in correctly. When I was driving home from the dealer, I heard a rattle. Turned out one was on the top of the slot, not in it.

In the little drawer I keep my portable XM radio there. I also got a piece of material that's used to line tool boxes and use that to keep items from sliding around.

16. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rancid13 @ May 3 2006, 01:54 PM) [snapback]249145[/snapback]</div>
    quiet you :p

17. Rancid13

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JackDodge @ May 3 2006, 11:11 AM) [snapback]249151[/snapback]</div>
    Hey, I'm just urging him to make some new discoveries if he hasn't already found them. :p

18. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Miss_Taz @ May 3 2006, 01:59 PM) [snapback]249147[/snapback]</div>
    I'm always knocking that stupid little shelf off its perch :(

19. kellsworthington

kellsworthington New Member

Its where i hide my drugs.

20. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rancid13 @ May 3 2006, 12:54 PM) [snapback]249145[/snapback]</div>
    SKS is not on all packages. Or so I've been told, I've never actually tried it on my pkg #1.
    But the drawer in question is just right for my maps.
    I'll admit I did forget about the foldout center armrest in the back until I was cleaning some stuff last weekend, and said, hey, this looks like what my wife has on her Accord...

nerfer