1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Little help- Red triangle and hybrid system light after 3 way flow valve change

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by squat251, Mar 24, 2019.

1. squat251

squat251 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    as my probably too long title alludes to, I have successfully changed the 3 way CHRS (I think) valve, and now the car is very upset.

I was unsuccessful in clamping off the lines, and thus lost a decent amount of coolant, during the bleeding phase, the over heating light popped up a few times, but has not been back. The car is throwing heat, but now as soon as I turn it on, I'm greeted with "Problem" accompanied by an exclamation point over a car symbol in the multi-function display as well as a red triangle of doom. I've also gotten the tsc light and the brake light at different times, which is interesting.

Troubleshooting I've tried includes disconnecting the negative battery terminal (temporarily fixed the lights, but they came back after a short test drive) as well as adding more coolant. It's possible I added too much coolant, but surely this would just be expelled via the recovery tank?

I do need to replace the 12v battery, someone did it before me, and they used a shit battery, voltage isn't great in acc mode, and I know it needs to be changed. However I was under the impression that the warning light I'm seeing has more to do with the hybrid system, which should not have been touched.

2. squat251

squat251 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    so, small update. the brake warning light and tcs light are still on, and so is the triangle and the (I assume) hybrid light.

The traction battery seems to be working fine, it discharged and recharged as it should, my fuel economy doesn't seem to have been impacted, but I can't use cruise control, and I drive long distances.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Since you know the 12V battery is bad, I suggest changing it now. If you still have problems after replacing the battery, then get Mini VCI so that you can retrieve the diagnostic trouble codes.

It is possible that faults are being created by the 12V bus voltage being lower than it should be.

The engine coolant level should be full at the radiator. It should be at the full mark at the overflow reservoir. There really is no harm if the level in the reservoir is higher.

4. squat251

squat251 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, I refilled it and topped it off, both at the rad and the overflow. Pulled the battery that's in there, and inspected all around, there's that familiar leak which I also sealed today. The battery they replaced the stock with is a carquest agm, and when I check it in ign on, it's low 11.2 or so volts. It does go up to 13.8-.6 or so when the car is running. It's thrown the VSC, Brake and ABS codes before, but usually only when traveling on the highway or when I accelerate to pass someone aggressively. Otherwise it doesn't throw those lights. Only now that I've replaced that valve. I had assumed that those were being thrown because of the battery. Something of note, I noticed when replacing that the hose on top didn't have the white dot, rather the middle hose did. I don't know if that means someone replaced that valve before me, and put the hoses on incorrectly or not, but I replaced it the way it was pre-removal just in case I have a fluke car that they put the dot on the wrong hose. Is there a chance it was wrong the whole time, and that now that there's a good valve in there that is the cause of the issue?

5. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A problem with the engine coolant valve would not cause the skid control ECU to log DTC and turn on the VSC/ABS/BRAKE lights. I don't know where the hose with a dot should be connected. I think you need to retrieve the DTC, rather than continue to guess about your car's problems.

6. squat251

squat251 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    yeah. I'm working on it. not a lot open on a sunday in rural america. also, of note, the abs light isn't lit currently, which is odd, since it usually *is* all three of those lights.

I'm guessing and troubleshooting all this simple and stupid stuff because it went from having no faults, to all of these after only being put into diagnostic/idle mode. It's odd, and its surely something dumb.

#6 squat251, Mar 25, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
  7. squat251

squat251 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So, had the codes read and cleared, he didn't give me the readout I asked for, so I can't remember all of them, though I remember something about there being something between the brake pad and rotor, airbags, but nothing about the traction battery. They stayed off for around 15-20 miles and then came back on. I've installed a new 12v battery and that seems to intermittently fix it? The (!) light, and tsc light come back on, and then the car with the exclamation point in the MFD. Wednesday I'll get them scanned again and have them give me a darn readout, so if they come back I can at least have some idea where to start. He said there were around 15 items.

8. humgrl

humgrl New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    im having the same exact problem. just changed coolant control valve. worked fine for a couple of days then boom. triangle and all other warning lights. sounds horrible. had it towed to dealer and asked them 1. did I have the top two hoses on right 2. could it be from air in the line which made it overheat and short something out . 3. did I blow up my car...after $195 they did nothing but through it on the code reader and told me that I needed to change my plugs and my hybrid battery is failing and nothing else because that's what they checked nothing.
    also noticed afterwards they hit something in my car as the back fender was flapping in the breeze...grrr. anyway id really like to know if any of those scenerios are possible causes. thank you

9. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In exchange for paying $195, I hope that your repair invoice documented the logged diagnostic trouble codes? Please post what those are. It is certainly possible that your engine's current problem has nothing to do with the coolant valve.

Skibob likes this.
  10. humgrl

humgrl New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    no they just said that I needed to replace my hybrid battery and change my plugs, which they would like to do for me at a bargain price of around 4k for battery and labor and around 3 to 4 hundred to replace my plugs. not for them. they get nothing more from me. just found a little two man shop that I explained the issues to and they so far have been really great. the first hour of diagnostics with them is free. my kind of guys. only I don't know anything yet as I left my hood unlatched and killed my 12 v so they are charging that first so it doesn't interfere with the codes being generated. will update as soon as I hear. thank you for your advice and response. very appreciated.