1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Little plastic things that secure access panels

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by bauerhillboy, Jul 27, 2013.

1. bauerhillboy

bauerhillboy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I want to clear up all the mystery! What is the correct name for these things? And is there a foolproof way to remove them and put them back on w/o ruining them?

2. eliotb

eliotb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    fasteners, I believe

3. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I call them pushpins.

To remove them, take a small flat blade screwdriver and pull up on the middle tab to release the center pin, and then remove the outer fingers from the hole. There are slots in the top piece for inserting the screwdriver.

To install, with the center pin retracted, insert the outer fingers into the hole and then push the pin to lock in place.

4. Frogerelli

Frogerelli Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  5. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    It has taken me a while to learn to take this things out without annoyance.

Tools
    A phillips screwdriver
    A flat screwdriver

1. Use the Phillips to unscrew and raise the middle pin. If the entire fastener turns, I apply a little pressure to the outer head of the fastener with the flat screwdriver.

2. When the middle pin is raised a bit, I insert the flat screwdriver in the gap and pop the fastener up.

Like many things, really easy once you get the hang of it.

p.s., these fasteners are made of really cheap plastic that turns brittle in no time flat. I bought of bag of them for a couple of dollars on Ebay and now don't care if one breaks.

6. vincent1449p

vincent1449p Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    The Repair Manual refers to them as clips. It also shows the correct removal/installation instructions.
    They are made of plastic so even if you followed the instructions, they can still be damaged after many removal/installation, just replace with new ones accordingly.

Vincent

Attached Files:

ftl likes this.