1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Little Snow Machine

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by harper42, Jan 22, 2007.

1. harper42

harper42 Member

At the advice of everyone here on the forum, I did have Snow Tires put on my 2006 Prius at the start of Winter. I bought the Michelin X-Ice. I had to order them from our local Tire Barn, but it just took a couple of days to get them in. Had them put on, and have been waiting for snow, to try them out. Finally, this weekend, we got it. Not a lot.... about 4 inches... but enough that people were slipping and sliding all over the place. We live on a steep hill, with a long, straight driveway. My first test: about halfway down the driveway, I applied the brakes (which I ordinarily would not do!).... the car went slide...grab...grab...stop!! I did it again. Same results... grab..grab...STOP. Amazing! On the road and did the same thing at a stop sign. Where other people slid through,,,, my little snow machine, with its X-Ice Tires, grabbed right into that snow and would not allow me to slide. I was pleased how it handled all the way to town and back. Now, to go up the driveway...... It just dug its way right up with no problem at all. Hubby asked later how it had driven in the snow. I told him it was like I had a little snow machine. From another posting on here about his horrible problems, I'm glad I got snow tires. And it was on here that I got the Michelin X-Ice recommendation. Thanks Forum!

2. kettledrum

kettledrum Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Glad to hear that they worked great for you! I can't believe it took this long for us to get snow here this year.

I've been waiting too. I still have the OEM tires, but was wondering how everything would react in snow.

Unfortunately, I didn't get out yesterday! :unsure:

3. priusFTW

priusFTW Gen III JBL non Nav

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kettledrum @ Jan 22 2007, 01:12 PM) [snapback]379046[/snapback]</div>
    Nice story, was glad to read it! Tell me, did you install the snows on all 4 or just the front 2?

4. harper42

harper42 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusFTW @ Jan 22 2007, 12:24 PM) [snapback]379077[/snapback]</div>
    I thought if I was going to do it, I'd do it right; so I put them on all four wheels.

5. MSantos

MSantos EcoAccelerometry

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dulcimer @ Jan 22 2007, 01:31 PM) [snapback]379079[/snapback]</div>

I am glad you're enjoying the new winter tires. I do firmly believe the Michelin X-ICE are the best tires. They may be a little more expensive than other rubber on the market but to some of us, they are worth EVERY extra penny.

It is also very WISE to buy them in sets of four. Retrofitting the vehicle to the front wheels only is not only dangerous but many shops will refuse to do it.
    In fact some cars will mis-behave is if even a single tire is different (the Honda Civic Hybrid 2 is such as an example). I don't know if our Priuses exhibit such symptoms as well but I would not be surprised if it did.

Congrats;

MSantos

6. timm

timm Medical Transport Driver

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Here's a couple pics of my "Little Snow Machine" as I deliver mail in rural Wisconsin after a 6 inch snowfall. It works great with just "All Season Firestones". I'm sure it would be better with snow tires, but I just bought this 2005 a couple weeks ago and these are the tires that were on it. I do keep a shovel and kitty litter in the storage compartment just in case, but I've not needed it. I'll share this tip... if you get stuck with ANY vehicle in mud or an icy surface and are not buried to the frame, just let most of the air (perhaps down to 20 lbs) out of the tires and crawl out like a Caterpillar! (then of course you refill the tires from the 12 volt compressor you ALWAYS have with ya)

Wish I could get a "Right Hand Drive" Prius for this job.

I've also installed the Coastal EV kit and can do several sections of my route on battery only as I move only a few feet from mailbox to mailbox.

Timm

Attached Files:

7. stanleyjohn

stanleyjohn New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I also bought snowtires (michelin x-ice)for the first time this year and guess what! still waiting for snow.I guess i put a curse on all snow lovers by buying the tires :( .We did get a half inch dusting this mourning!enough to cover the roads and the car preformed great on that.Still waiting for a real test though!hope it does happen this year,nomally we should of had around 25" of snow by this time of year and less than a inch so far.

8. priusFTW

priusFTW Gen III JBL non Nav

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That is sooo saweet Timm! nice pics too!

9. harper42

harper42 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(stanlwyjohn @ Jan 23 2007, 07:13 PM) [snapback]379820[/snapback]</div>
    I experienced the same thing! I was thinking of all the miles I was putting on new snow tires (I get around a lot...) and not even any snow!! Then finally, last week we got 3-4 inches, but I actually only drove in it one day, then it started melting. This has been a weird winter: Those of us who usually get lots of snow are getting none, and the states out west that never get snow are getting a super dose of snow and ice. I hope you get snow soon! And I hope we get some more!