1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"Little" upset here---any advice?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ErikU, Jun 1, 2006.

1. ErikU

ErikU New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    OK. So today I took my 6 day old Prius to the service center at the dealership that I got my car to get a tint job done. Overall, the tint looks great. When inside I can see about 8 bubbles on the window between the passenger rear window and the back windshield and a couple on the passenger front window. I know I need to give it a couple of days for the tint to settle and get out any moisture between the tint and the window itself. That said, there is about a one inch scratch in the tint right at the edge of the window in front of the side mirror. I was contemplating on "living with it" and going on.

I went for my weekly sushi night with my girlfriend after picking up the car and I was showing her the bubbles on the window when I glanced back and saw about a 2 inch scratch on the rear passenger door right below the window. I almost lost my lid. I KNOW the scratch was not there because I have been doing the typical thing of parking my new car away from every car in parking lots (the passenger side has never had access to another car) and has been in my driveway ONLY. I even looked over the car before I left it to make sure there was no damage because I just had a gut feeling that I would get the car back with problems.

So now I have a 2 inch scratch that is not to the metal but is definitely through the clear coat because you can feel it by running a finger over it. None of the windows tint were cleaned thoroughly and there were even moisture marks all over the interior doors from the liquid they used to get the tint on the windows. I am really upset. The MFD even had a bunch of greasy hand marks all over it which in my opinion they shouldn't even have touched. The car is not even a week old and I am dealing with this $xx!!!!!

I know this is bound to happen but to send the car in to add things to the car and to end up with results like this is just UNACCEPTABLE!!! I have called the dealership and am taking the car in first thing in the morning. For the scratch on the tint, I was originally going to deal with it but after seeing the scratch on the paint I think I am going to be an a$$. I don't at all like doing business this way but I am going to be rational and calm but this is UNACCEPTABLE!!! I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on the stance that I should take and expect to happen.......I am just really upset as you can tell.......thanks in advance for any replies.

2. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

You don't say if you told the dealer specifically about the scratch in the paint. If you did, does it sound like they're going to take responsibility for it?

You should have NO air bubbles (much less scratches), even in an opera window nobody looks out of. :)

Does your dealer use mobile tint installers? (That is, people who travel to the dealership to do jobs, rather than in their own shops.) Not a good idea. Main problem: DRYING TIME, as you found out.

3. ErikU

ErikU New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I did call the dealer and he told me to bring the car in at first thing in the morning to address the issue and see what can be done of it. I'm not sure about what kind of technique they use to apply the tint. I really dont care about the bubbles, the tint can always be redone but the scratch is another story.

On my last car I had a tint job done and had no air bubbles and the windows were perfectly clean. Thats why I really started to look around after picking the car up because in my opinion it was rushed job.

4. ErikU

ErikU New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Seriously, does anyone have any advice on this issue. I will be taking it in in the morning and really would appreciate any info. (Just noticed that there are a lot of views and no replies except one). Again thanks!

5. Jeff Beaver

Jeff Beaver Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Erik @ May 31 2006, 11:03 PM) [snapback]263903[/snapback]</div>
    I had a Lexus into the dealer for an oil change and when I picked it up noticed a small dent in the top of a front fender next to the hood. There was still a fragment of loose paint in the depression, which nailed it as far as I was concerned. I refused to take delivery of the car until the dent was fixed. They weren't overjoyed, but they wound up repainting the whole front end of the car, including the hood -- for free of course. If you are 100% certain Toyota put the scratch there, by all means stick to your guns and insist they make the scratch go away. How they do it is their business, but when they are through the car should look like it did when you took it in. I can't say whether or not you will succeed, but your position might be a little stronger if you noticed the scratch before taking delivery. After my experience I always inspect a car before I pick it up from a shop.

6. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Erik @ Jun 1 2006, 01:03 AM) [snapback]263903[/snapback]</div>
    Do your own work on your car. That's my advice.

1. You care about your car, so you won't be scratching it up.
    2. It cost a whole lot less.
    3. You never have to argue with the installer when you do the job yourself. If it sucks, just kick the installer in the a$$ and move on.

I stand by my theory that the tint installer is not installing tint because he loves it. He didn't quit his job as CTO of a mid sized company to go into the window tinting he loves. Same with the oil changes and these other things... Some guy got out of high school and couldn't or didn't go to school. Now he's installing tint.

Usually this will draw out some flames telling me how someone they know is a master toyota tech, super well educated and all that jazz.. I'm sure there are some of those at the dealership. Do you think that is the guy who installed your tint and scratched your car?

Me either.... In fact, if I was a tint installer, I'd hate that job and probably be thinking about other things as I was lumping around scratching up your car...

Work on your car unless you can't. If you can't do the job yourself, hope for the best at some service shop and then live with this crap after you get it back.

7. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Erik @ Jun 1 2006, 02:03 AM) [snapback]263903[/snapback]</div>
    There should be NO bubbles in a professional tint job - not a single one. I can sympathize, I have had my share of incompetent service in the past and I would also be royally p*ssed if I were in your shoes.

I think you have a pretty strong case for the scratch being done by the tint installer, considering the car is all of 6 days old and the shoddy tint job quality means this guy either didn't know what he was doing or just didn't care.

I would definitely stick to you guns and insist that they re-tint any windows with bubbles and fix that scratch however best to make it look like it was when you brought it in. All at their cost, of course.

Good luck!

- Kevin

PS - if they give you a hard time, you may want to drop their name here to warn others to avoid them... word of mouth is the one mighty tool we as consumers have against these businesses!

8. Somechic

Somechic Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As far as the tint job, you should be able to have them fix the bubbles/shoddy work. It's obvious it happened there, not outside of the service area.

The scratch on the rear door is a different story. If you had found it prior to leaving the service area, then I would say you have a good case. But, you left, found it later in the day and now want the service department to take the blame. It's basically your word against theirs.

Let us know how it turns out.

9. Dion

Dion New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I know this doesn't help now, but the dealer scratched the paint off my door handle while my Prius was in for service. My car was only 1 month old. I immediately brought it to the service reps attention and he said its only minor. I told him, when he takes over my car payments then it becomes minor. Well they fixed the scratch.

10. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    On the subject of the tint bubbles...from what I understand it is natural. I had it on mine. It cleared up in a week or so.

11. ErikU

ErikU New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Well, I took it in this morning and they looked over it and they seemed really embarrassed. When I got in it this morning the bubbles were all gone. They weren't air bubbles but bubbles with the moisture "glue" for the tint and just needed to evaporate....so they said. However, as far as the scratch in the tint, they are going to replace the tint on that window and for the scratch in the paint they are going to repair it as well. As I said, it isn't to the metal but in the clearcoat so they should be able to buff it out. We shall see tomorrow for the final results. Thanks to all that responded in my time of "crisis"

12. Bill Lumbergh

Bill Lumbergh USAF Aircraft Maintainer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Glad to hear they owned up to it. I was going to suggest remaining calm and focused. The hardest thing for any service writer or salesperson to deal with is a customer who is so irate they won't listen.

Most scratches like your's should buff out fine. Also, the tint I had done last year had some tiny bubbles (smaller than an M&M) and they cleared up on their own.

That said, the greasy fingerprints on the MFD, the watery residue from the tint work and the scratch are all things that should have been cleaned up before you got the car. Tint guys just tint.....they don't detail.

13. ErikU

ErikU New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Well, they reapplied the tint on the one window....looks great as it should have the first time. They got the scratch out on the door and it looks good and I can't tell there was anything ever wrong with it. I have to give them the thumbs up for fixing it correctly even though the first time NONE of this should have happened.

I have to say that going back and forth to the dealer gave me a lot of driving to get acquainted with the car and hone by prius driving skills :) . That said I only have two pips left on the fuel gauge and drove 480 miles with an MFD average of 49.5 and rising. I LOVE this car! :D

14. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good to hear everything worked out for you. If you had any scratches on the car then they would have pointed it out before they took the car so it is good they fixed it. He is right about the bubbles. I had it with my tint as well. They went away after 1 week.

I got a buddy so anal about finger prints on the MFD he keeps one of those clicker pencil-like erasers in his car to use on the MFD. And heaven help those that move his A/C vents.