1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Live feed: making human brain sections

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by galaxee, Dec 2, 2009.

1. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    major contributor to the science of learning and memory, "H.M." passed away last year. in the 1950s, he had major brain (medial temporal lobe) surgery to alleviate his epilepsy, which resulted in complete anterograde amnesia. since then, his case has taught us so much about learning and memory, and the brain structures involved in these processes.

H.M. donated his brain to the science of learning and memory upon his death. they are currently making 70-micron thick sections of his brain at UCSD, so that researchers can study how the surgery affected his brain tissue.

they're broadcasting the process live. this is a neat little peek into science, and the brain... i did not fully appreciate the brain's amazingness and elegance until i had a chance to see the most intricate parts of it. i thought others might enjoy it.

The Brain Observatory - In Memory of H.M.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Very cool, thanks. I haven't seen a microtome in action in ages.

3. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Fascinating ... in a gory sort of way.

So, can anybody donate *any* part of themselves, or the entire carcass, to science? Sounds like a worthwhile thing to do

4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the link Galaxee! :)

I'd totally donate my body but I don't think they'd find anything that interesting. Mediocrity blows. lol

5. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, mediocrity can be good. Students have to practice on something, and they need to see what's normal, right?

Anybody see the BodyWorks exhibits? That'd be a good way to go, too.

I'm signed up for organ donation, with instructions to burn what's left in a big bonfire on the beach. :D

6. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i think you can contact your local university or medical school and get info if they accept donations. a lot of donations go to cadaver study for medical students. there, being "average" (if there is such a thing) is great for the students to learn for their eventual work on living bodies.

i just checked back on the feed, they're still working on the frontal lobe. it gets way cooler as you go more caudal (toward the back).

7. going red baby!

going red baby! still a n00b

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    :)

8. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Cool. to me it's a flashback to college and my behavioral neuropsychology studies. I did PET scan research for a couple of years.