1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"Living With Ed" ....

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by priusmaybe, Sep 5, 2007.

1. priusmaybe

priusmaybe New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Anyone watch it? Ed Begley and going green?

It is funny and informative.

2. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Happened to catch it this week. He visited Jay Leno, and a from the ground up super-green house. And they replaced the kitchen appliances with energy star. His wife had her office organized. The house tour was interesting and Jay Leno was very entertaining.

3. Prius 07

Prius 07 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusmaybe @ Sep 5 2007, 06:42 PM) [snapback]507545[/snapback]</div>
    For Canadian fans this program will air on HGTV starting in October. Just saw the promo this morning and it did look interesting.

4. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It's better this season than it was last season. It seems that his wife isn't quite as annoying as she was last season. What they probably thought would be cute bickering between them was unwatchable to me. This season, they seem to be spending more time on some really good tips. I loved those solar tubes that funnel light into the house during the day.

I wish the energy audit was more informative and comprehensive. I can't believe that what they audited was all that should be discussed in such an audit.

5. h2photo

h2photo Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I love this show, though I missed last week. I think its pretty funny, plus I love to see all the things he's done!

6. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SSimon @ Sep 6 2007, 10:54 AM) [snapback]507945[/snapback]</div>
    I have one of these and it's fabulous. The best bang for the buck home improvement I made to the house.

7. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SSimon @ Sep 6 2007, 10:54 AM) [snapback]507945[/snapback]</div>
    I'm not so sure about that. We watched two recorded episodes last night and she's still pretty annoying. When she wasn't complaining about the energy saving techniques she was complaining that their house isn't as large as Cheryl Tieg's and that they don't have a pool and that solar panels make the roof ugly. The one with Bill Nie; she was even jumping all over him. And how can you be mean to Bill Nie? He's the Science Guy?!

8. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Sep 7 2007, 07:08 AM) [snapback]508492[/snapback]</div>
    Maybe that's the point. She's the "but this is all too difficult and annoying and we'll never keep up with the jones'" stereotype. She's the villain. Besides, people who kinda think like her that watch the show will quietly think to themselves "Christ, is that how I come across?".

9. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Sep 7 2007, 01:03 AM) [snapback]508417[/snapback]</div>
    Leakage? Cost? Pleasant light diffusion/spectrum? Drawbacks?

Wouldn't it be nice to harness the energy from the sunlight during the day and use this just as you would conventional lighting during evening hours? I don't see how this wouldn't be doable.

Also, what if you don't want this sunlight streaming in your house? Is there some kind of a shade that you could pull over it?

We could really use this type of lighting. We have a huge living room/dining room/den type room as soon as we enter the house. There used to be a closet (yes, a closet) right in front of the front door that was in the shape of an "L". We ripped that out so that a closet wasn't all one sees as they enter our house, now our fireplace is. Since this room has windows on the north and west exposures, we really don't get enough natural lighting in the room. Same with our kitchen. If it's not sunny out, I have to use supplemental lighting. This would be a really nice addition for us.

Feedback, please.............

10. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SSimon @ Sep 7 2007, 11:25 AM) [snapback]508604[/snapback]</div>
    No leakage.

Cost about $500 installed, but I had a coupon from the Del Mar Fair. If you're handy you can do it yourself. I think I saw tubular skylights at Home Depot but can't speak to their quality.

I had my choice of several different difusers. It's sunlight but...difused. My kitchen has two small windows over a corner sink. One faces south and one west. I also had a kitchen door, also facing west with a window in the top half. Not much light. Had to turn the lights on even during the day. The first week I had it in I kept trying to turn the sun off. It was brighter than when I had the lights on. I'm extremely happy with it and would spend the money again. I've now replaced that kitchen door with a french door. I get more light but do miss the ventilation as the window in the door used to open. But I still have the windows that open and I have a screen door for the french door if I want to leave it open. I've replaced the shades on my vintage ceiling lights and they are brighter now. (I use compact fluorescents.)

There are several options for tubular skylights, I think having some sort of louvre system to "shut it off" might be an option, but I see no reason to turn off the sun in the kitchen during the day so didn't explore that.

On Living With Ed, after they saw the house Ed said there was rarely something that both he and his wife totally agreed on. She loved the aesthetic of the house and he loved the eco-friendly green stuff. I think it was a good thing that that house was already owned and lived in by people. If it were on the market I think the wife would be hounding Ed to please buy that house.

I missed the ep with Bill Nye. I'll have to try to catch a rerun.

11. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'll probably be putting them on my to do list. Cost seems very reasonable and we truly do need more light in these two rooms. I'm a little uneasy as I've spent quite a bit of money on environmental upgrades for our house and as soon as I feel I've hit the end of my list, I add another upgrade. Most of the upgrades I've installed do not lend themselves to a healthy return on investment.

There has to be an end in sight.

12. mjms2b

mjms2b MJ Green

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SSimon @ Sep 6 2007, 08:54 AM) [snapback]507945[/snapback]</div>

MY DVR IS SET, LOVE IT.

13. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SSimon @ Sep 7 2007, 11:09 PM) [snapback]508897[/snapback]</div>
    LOL. I know.

Next: Tankless water heater.

Eventually. Insulate roof. Attic floor is already insulated. Then insulate floor (crawlspace).

I'm getting pretty near the end of the big stuff.

14. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SSimon @ Sep 7 2007, 10:09 PM) [snapback]508897[/snapback]</div>
    Tear yer house down and build an earthship in its place. ;)

15. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tripp @ Sep 8 2007, 02:44 PM) [snapback]509169[/snapback]</div>
    Personally, I see no point in tearing down my house and sending the remains to a landfill, only to rebuild with other 'garbage' to prevent IT from going to a landfill. Seems kinda stupid.

I'll just do the best with what I already have.

16. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hmm. Earthship. I like it. One, out of five, of our rooms has passive solar orientation. I could shift four other rooms. I'd be all set and I'd stop whining about my gas bill to you folks. Too bad the skylights on my list can't act as passive solar implements. Posting this, I just thought of something. I better check about heat loss with these things!

17. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SSimon @ Sep 9 2007, 08:32 AM) [snapback]509504[/snapback]</div>
    Heat loss will be better with the tubular ones than traditional, I'm sure. They a lot surface area.

18. GreenGuy33

GreenGuy33 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Living With Ed is my favorite show. My favorite episodes are when his neighbor Bill Nye (the Science Guy) visits and the green rivalry begins.

19. 2010PriusV

2010PriusV Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    There is a Living with Ed marathon coming up on Thanksgiving. One of my favorite shows. They have an electric Rav4 and a 2010 Prius. Having Bill Nye as a neighbor just makes it better! Science rules!

1 person likes this.
  20. radioprius1

radioprius1 Climate Conspirisist

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Saw Ed on the news. Boy he lost it. Totally looked like a fool.