1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured "Loaded" hybrids

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, May 1, 2018.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source: AD #2343 – Lexus Takes the “Premium” Out of Its Hybrids, Global Sales Up in Q1, BMW To Use Magna Lidar System – Autoline Daily

LEXUS TAKES THE “PREMIUM” OUT OF ITS HYBRIDS
    The hybrid version of any car tends to only be available on the higher trim levels, making an already pricy package even more expensive. But Lexus is finding success by taking “some of the premium out” of its hybrid models. Or in other words, making them less expensive. According to WardsAuto, in the first quarter, RX Hybrid sales are up over 33% and the NX is up close to 170%. Lexus will do the same with the new ES sedan that just debuted at the Beijing auto show and is currently only seeing a hybrid take-rate of 10%. That could be a nice shot in the arm, sales wise, for a vehicle that has been the best-selling Lexus car since 1992.

Having seen the price difference between the Prius Prime trims, Plus, Premium, and Advanced, what the heck is going on in the Lexus brand?

When I followed the link to the article, I had to dig to find:

. . . Also available is a new-generation hybrid powertrain, expected to increase penetration from the current 10% as Lexus continues with an affordable-pricing strategy that “takes some of the premium out” of its hybrid models. That game plan has worked to boost hybrid sales of the RX 33.3% and NX 167.8% in the first quarter, according to Wards Intelligence data.
    . . .

Whenever I see 'percentage' and not the numbers, I get a little anxious so:
    [​IMG]

The sales trend is positive but 33% seems a little optimistic.

Bob Wilson

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    seems backwards to me. not sure how happy lexus shoppers will be, giving up goodies for mpg's. i would think toyota buyers would be more likely, but i suppose they know their market better than i do.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You bring up a good point. What are these luxuries? Power seats? Knob warmers? Finger bowls?

Bob Wilson

bisco likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    portable smoothie machines?:cool:

5. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    For the Lincoln Fusion(MKZ?), it was mostly the base engine that the Fusion came with. Ford offerred the hybrid at the same price as the ICE model since the first gen. Which was easier to do than for the Fusion because the Lincoln's base engine was the upgraded option for the Ford.

The hybrid makes up about a third of sales for the current model. That statement alone is misleading though. In addition to the hybrid and base 2L ICE that has the same price, there is a V6 with AWD option for an upcharge.