1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Local dealership recommends at 60K

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by tommymommy, Nov 29, 2010.

1. tommymommy

tommymommy Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My husband called to find out what service is needed at 60k miles for our 06 and 07 Prius's.

They told him:

Transaxle fluid replacement $160
    Throttlebody cleaning $110
    Inverter Service $185
    Coolant Service $85

Anyone know what is involved with this "Inverter Service"? I'm smelling a scam to part me with my money.

2. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    My dealer charges $100 - you should do it every 60k miles
    Typically not required - I have 187k miles on my 2004 and it has never been done - no ill effects
    Probably a somewhat over priced Inverter Coolant drain and refill neither this or the below coolant services are needed until 100k miles then each 50k miles thereafter
    JeffD

3. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You only need to do what your Owner's Manual recommends. Some people like to do the other dealer recommended items, but they aren't necessary.

4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Mileage is not the only criteria. Brake fluid, as an example, is hygroscopic, so it attracts water over time. I bet both the engine coolant, and inverter coolant react with the metals in the system over time, so that even when the mileage is not up, the time may be past for those services.

Shop around, those prices seem high.

5. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What jdenenberg said.

The smell you noticed that kinda smelled like an ol' road kill skunk was your dealers service adviser.

Carefully read your owners manual and don't let them sell you any services that aren't in the manual. One exception would be that if you are planning on keeping the car over 200k miles 60k transmission oil changes might be a good idea. Otherwise go by the manual on that too.

6. tommymommy

tommymommy Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is the inverter coolant service charge typically separate from the regular coolant charge? I thought it was awfully high.

7. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    The two coolant loops are completely independent. The dealer can price them separately. My dealer charged me $125 total for both loops at 100k miles. I don't have the 150k mile job priced separately as I replaced both the ICE and Inverter water pumps at that time.

JeffD

8. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    On my 2007 with 30,000 miles it did need the throttlebody
    cleaning for sure. In fact I've done it twice since bought it new.
    It gets pretty sooty.

Its very easy. Hard to mess it up.Have to loosen 2 screws.
    And you need one can of carb cleaner. SEarch my back posts as I described it in detail. Takes 5 minutes.

I would get the trans fluid done also. Your due.That can be done also by yourself but much harder as you need to get the car up on lifts which may be impossible for you.

You need to find an independant shop by you as the dealer is high. Ask around...neighbors..coworkers...family...for someone they use.

Any shop can do the trans fluid and coolants. There pretty straight forward. Trans should be around $75 labor and both coolant loops maybe $100.

One caveat for an indie shop is ask them if they use a mini evacuator to purge airlock out of coolant systems. If they do not use one pass on them. It is required on most modern cars for thorough air lock evacuation after coolant change. Lots of posts here in the last 3 years of poorly evacuated coolant loops after change and then there gurgling or poor cooling or no heat. Even seen posts of there cars doing that after dealer change so just cause its the dealer does not always mean expert repair. It does require knowlege of proper tools to do the job.

If you do use an indie shop provide them with the product needed you can find at the dealer parts counter:

WS Trans Fluid 4 quarts
    Toyota Super Long Life Coolant 4 Gallons

9. tommymommy

tommymommy Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had to laugh on the throttle body. I have also already done this once. $110 for THAT? That set off my rat sensors as in I smell a RAT and it's my local dealership.

I also had one dealership tell me about those "special Iridium plugs". He made it sound like the dealership is the only one who knows about them and they are super special. I have them sitting at my house, just haven't had time to pull the old ones. I'm at just under 70k miles right now. Something I need to look at soon if only to make sure they aren't stuck.

10. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Another tip. When you are trying to find out how a shop does a job, don't give them a hint at the correct answer. Ask them how they make sure no air is in the system instead of naming the tool or precess they should be using.:cheer2:

1 person likes this.
  11. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thats a damn good idea.