1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Local political corruption and big business antics make me sick!

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by F8L, Sep 5, 2007.

1. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought I'd rant a little and let you guys know just how sickening people can act when greed rules your heart.

In my area there is a small valley called Clover Valley. It is the site of long term native american habitation, it houses multiple ecosystems, is intact and has never been tilled or developed. It houses critical habitat for numerous endangered species and used to support salmon spawning. If you truely want to learn more see these videos. or check one of many websites for this Valley.

Sample pics of the valley
    [​IMG]

Grinding stones (bedrock mortars)
    [​IMG]

So my rant is centered on the irresponsibility of elected city officials and of the tactics used by the developers to push this development plan through. I'll spare you the full details of the issue (they can be read on the website I linked in my first paragraph) but I will briefly summarize. The city of Rocklin sold this valley decades ago but failed to follow proper procedure and make the public aware of the sale and provide ample time to voice their opinion. Once the public was made aware that the land was sold and was going to be the site of 1000+ new houses the citizens began to act. After years of fighting and 4? EIRs the city push the plan through. The citizen groups now has a last ditch chance to save the valley by obtaining 3000 signatures from Rocklin residents within a 30day period. This task is not so daunting except that the developers have posted ads in craigslist and elsewhere to hire Rocklin residents to hinder this process. They pay people to harass the public near signature collecting stations, yell out anti-clover valley sentiments near these stations. They even pose as regular store customers and then complain to store managers which then resort to asking the signature collectors to leave. Now mind you that the signature collectors have been trained in the basic laws and ethics of this activity and there are 2 community politicians aiding them so they are not being considered a nusence. In effect the antics of the developers and their hired cronies are hindering the democratic process and creating a pretty disgusting spectacal. I've seen/heard about similar actions taken by greedy people but not in my home area.

So for those who often hear about similar issues and chalk it up to "liberal conspiracy theories" I urge you to do the research and find out the truth because your first assumption could be wrong. A large number of these big corporations care for only 1 thing. Profit! It doesn't matter who they step on to attain them either. Thomas Linzey explains how this systems works in this video (you have to fast forward past the 5min mark)

Sorry to rant but I wanted to make others aware of the freedoms you think you have are mearly an illusion. It is only a freedom or a democracy until someone else can find a way to profit from it.

2. scargi01

scargi01 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ Sep 5 2007, 10:32 AM) [snapback]507322[/snapback]</div>
    1) What corp doesn't operate unde this philosophy?

2) A 30/30 tends to help discourage people from acting "inappropriately".

3. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I didn't download your links but it sounds like there are legal grounds to sue the City of Rocklin for not disclosing the sale of this land within the time frame specified by the procedures outlined.

Also, couple more things...........

Can these residents pool enough funds to offer a lucrative deal to the developer and hold the land themselves?

Is there a local land conservancy that would be interested in purchasing this land from the developer for conservation purposes?

Did anyone contact the local Sierra Club to bring suit or utilize other means to fight this development? If it's truly as remarkable as it sounds, I'm quite certain they'll have an interest. If a suit is initiated, I believe that this will hinder any development activity until the court hears the case and arrives at a conclusion. At least the land will have a chance to speak in this way.

Since the land is acting habitat for endangered species, why aren't the ESA rules acting to thwart this development? This would surely be another legal means for the Sierra Club to engage suit, would it not?

Write letters to as many local newspapers as possible.

Lastly, if these jokers survive this offense, I would encourage someone to persuade them to develop the area in a sound manner. Pack the houses close together with buffer areas to protect the remaining natural area, landscape with native plantings, make sure to have an area that collects and filters storm water run off naturally before it enters neighboring watersheds and then place the remaining undeveloped land in a conservation easement so that this land is protected for eternity. Make sure an environmentally sound management plan is attached to this easement so that the land is cared for in the best manner feasible. However, funding may be an obstacle so far as this management plan is concerned. This is where a local conservation organization may be useful. I know this last event is no means of consolation, but at least they're implementing some things that will offer a compromise to the environmentally aware.

In my area, the most effective act against environmentally damaging development has been our collective voice. People need to go to the local meetings and speak out, they need to sign whatever petitions are available to them and they need to call the Mayor and voice opposition. But then you probably already know all this.

What is the name of this developer and in what city are they domiciled?

4. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(05_SilverPri @ Sep 5 2007, 10:22 AM) [snapback]507380[/snapback]</div>
    Funny, I thought using a 30/30 would be about the most inappropriate act possible, judging from the generally negative reaction when employed by private citizens in the service of "discouraging" "inappropriate" behavior (Colombine, Virginia Tech, etc.)

Back to the topic - there's an organization of volunteer pilots who regularly take local politicians and reporters aloft specifically to bring informed visibility to the encroachments of relentless development, that has had several successes at holding back the tide.

So long as we tolerate a growing population, however, these kinds of battles are only going to be pyrhhic victories when won. I'm sure you agree, F8L, that continued population growth is probably as large or even larger an environmental threat to the ecosphere than global climate change, particularly when so much of the trappings of "civilization" include a heavy materialistic bias that values possession above other qualities of life (like honest dealing, cooperation, etc.) - issues far beyond the ability of a 30/30 to solve.

Mark Baird
    Alameda CA

5. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SSimon @ Sep 5 2007, 10:36 AM) [snapback]507391[/snapback]</div>

SSimon,

You are right in everything you have listed. All of these avenues have been exhausted. Our last 2 city counsel meetings on this subject have had over 200 citizens in attendance. They had to move the meetings to a larger complex to house all of the interested parties.

Here is info from the Sierra Club's local chapter website:

It seems like the last resort is to sue the City of Rocklin but we all know how much money will be involved in that venture. What is amazing is the amount of community support and how many groups are fighting this battle. It is amazing how nothing from CEQA (California Environmental Quality Act), Endangered Species Atc, to National Heritage Site status is stopping this locomotive, simply slowing it down. The original plans have been modified many times and now consists of only half the original amount of houses but they way the landscape if divided up there is no parcel of land large enough to maintain it's diversity. Yeah it will be full of turkeys and deer but there is much more to a functional ecosystem than "cute" species.

I know you are full aware of all the obstacles we face/faced but many others are not so this is just a cautionary tale to those who may be faced with similar problems in the future. It is like Tom Linzey said, "Another case of corporations trumping the rights of people to govern their own towns and cities. Except in our case the city officials are in with the corporations.

The original developer was Buzz Oats Enterprises but he and his partners have created subgroups to work on this "problem". It is also important to note how deeply embedded they are with Doolittle's policies and the VERY christian/conservative nature of this county (Placer).

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ Sep 5 2007, 10:53 AM) [snapback]507399[/snapback]</div>
    You are right Mark. Very right unfortunately. The problems detailed in this situation and the ones Tom Linzey listed in the rather long video I posted as not localized issues. They are global issues and are effecting everyone. When corporations started wielding the rights of people via the constitution we took a turn for the worse and the only thing we can do to save ourselves and our democracy is to strip them of those rights.

Urbanization and rapid popluation growth is a reality and unless we start using our heads and building cities appropriatly, we will be in for some long term suffering. One cannot help but think back to movies like Mad Max or Water World and wonder just how close to reality that could become. Or better yet, just superimpose the idea behind the Matrix onto our current society.

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ Sep 5 2007, 01:53 PM) [snapback]507399[/snapback]</div>
    You need something with a larger killing radius.

Tom

7. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

The (mostly) pristine valley I live in attracts developers from all over the world when they come to visit San Francisco, due to our proximity to the City. Many times our community has had to fight the good fight to keep development compatible with the surroundings. SSimon has obviously faced similar problems in his community and offers a blueprint to sound community input toward development. Notice nobody is advocating NIMBYism, but instead local control of communities. One other way the communities in my county have decreased development pressure is to offer large land holders (usually ranches here) tax benefits of not selling out to the highest bidder, as well as a locally formed non-profit to be used as a holding company to purchase and hold precious parcels until a conservation buyer can be found. The process is ongoing for generations, and vigilance is never ending, since 'no' does not mean 'never' to a developer with eyes on prime real estate.

Transit-centered clustered housing with multiple options like required low income & senior housing, dedicated open space, preservation of historically significant sites, developer provided infrastructure, and proximity to jobs are some of the considerations developers must address in their master plans to gain community planning support around here. Those who try end-runs around established practices are tied up in court for many years, usually resulting in developer bankruptcy and/or stricter controls and limits than if they had played by the rules. Those developers who work with us demonstrating sensitivity to our unique ecosystem and community spirit are much happier at the end of the project.

8. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The same sort of repeated abuse happens in San Diego constantly. It is all developers with Republican City Officials in their pockets. The most recent was building a skyscraper too tall near a local airport. The developer intentionally violated FAA guidelines, lied about it and was aided by city officials and the Mayor. The Mayor eventually backed down but one of his deputies was still lobbying for the developer while the Mayor was out of town. The corruption goes much deeper.

Liberals are always the "obstructionists" trying to hinder progress. In fact they are the watchdogs trying to keep developers and Republicans honest. Or as honest as possible. It's surprising the violations of the law these people think they can get away with. And they think that way because....they do. Over and over.

I'd suggest going to a higher level and getting your state representatives involved. Unfortunately, the "little people" have no direct power. Your opposition has too much money and too much power in the form of politicians in their pockets.