1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

local prius crash

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by statultra, Sep 27, 2009.

1. statultra

statultra uber-Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  2. LoraJ

LoraJ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Not well enough since the occupants died.

3. msvenable

msvenable New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    TWO people in the prius died; the driver and a passenger. I wonder if everyone was wearing their seatbelts? You can see the SUV got hit opposite the driver's side; though it was really torn up.

4. Bobsprius

Bobsprius BobPrius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    LoraJ,

Yes agreed was sad to see anyone died, but if you look at the link and look at the Tahoe....it's amazing to see that type of damage with that vehicle. The Tahoe turned into the Prius is what the newcaster said, they turn on green and not a green arrow and it happens all the time at that intersection. You would think they would correct that huh??? :rolleyes:

5. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    From a distance it looks like the driver should have survived. Elderly? It's a hard hit but survivable for someone with a reasonably resilient anatomy. That's a helluva hit on a Tahoe though.

This sort of accident is often a drunk turning in front of someone who is sober--at least when I've seen it before. A Tahoe in front of a Prius at 65 mph is a lot worse than my 18 year old friend in a full size car at 55 mph when a multiple repeat drunk in a small pickup turned in front of her at night.

Hope the Tahoe driver is charged with vehicular manslaughter. They sure deserve it, bastards.

6. Frayadjacent

Frayadjacent Resident Conservative

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    That's the kind of crash that kills the most motorcyclists - someone turning left in front of you, failing to yield.

What is the speed limit on that road? It seems to me the Tahoe shouldn't have been going that fast making a left, unless it's a HUGE intersection, and the driver wasn't stopped at the light before making the left.

That driver's inattention killed two people. Sad.

7. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yep. One of the reasons I won't get on a motorcycle...that and knowing I would eventually push it too hard through the twisties (recovering in a car is easier/less painful even if you really screw the pooch.)

My father is still recovering from such an accident on a motorcyle. A van turned left right in front of him on the highway and he put it down to avoid a fatal collision.

8. spinkao

spinkao New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Very bad and very sad. But I really wonder whether the guys in the Prius were using seatbelts? The car seems to be in good shape, especially the rear. I would have bet they survived from the look of it.:(

9. spinkao

spinkao New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, but this is because it was hit from the side (very unfavorable angle because of a lack of deformation zone) and also (and mainly) because it was traveling slowly relative to the Prius. The the car with the less momentum always takes the main brunt of the deformation, and in this case, the speed of the Prius greatly overweights the weight difference between both cars, that favors the SUV. The laws of physics work this way. It is always the body whose vector of motion turns backwards upon impact that takes the most deformation. So this event really cannot be interpreted as "Prius is more structurally stable than Tahoe".

I remember our professor of physics at the university used to tell us, only half-jokingly, that if we realize a head-on impact with other vehicle is inevitable, we should step on gas rather than brake. The other guy would most likely brake like hell and the more speed would give us momentum advantage upon impact...

The driver of the Tahoe was lucky the impact came from the other side than where he was sitting and that he had no passenger...

10. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Other news report indicates that there were three nuns in the Prius.
    The driver and the rear passenger were killed. The front passenger and the driver of the SUV are in hospital.

11. LoraJ

LoraJ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    An updated article on that site says the driver is the one currently in the hospital and is 67 years old. The other two nuns were in their 80's. Very sad. Driver of the Tahoe was drunk apparently. Hope they throw him in jail.

12. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The speed limits on US41 through that area vary between 45 and 55,
    and that road is always a zoo. Light-to-light rat-race much of
    the way.
    _H*

13. priora

priora Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  14. hampdenwireless

hampdenwireless Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    That's criminal, stupid and more often then not wrong.

15. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Looks like I guessed correctly. Even with proper restraint crashes like this tend to kill the elderly. And of course it was caused by a drunk in a truck (SUV.) Too bad they don't allow capital punishment for the offense.

16. spinkao

spinkao New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Please don't take that remark too seriously ;). Of course, I would never do that, and I don't think the pro would either. He just wanted to stress the point he was explaining, that's all. That was what I meant by "half-jokingly". Of course, it is *never* that simple in real life and you are absolutely right that anybody doing that would be a criminal.

17. spinkao

spinkao New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Very sad, indeed. Well, if they were in their 80's, they could have worn seatbelts properly and still not survive... The elderly people tend to be much more prone to injury. I hope the guy who caused this will be treated accordingly.

18. BAllanJ

BAllanJ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The car travelling faster is going to put the highest decelleration on its occupants. These nuns went from 60 to zero in 3 feet. Hard to survive that even when you're younger than 80. The Tahoe was slower... occupant probably went from 20, to 20 in a different direction... not too hard to survive with seat belts.Would not have wanted to have been a passenger in the Tahoe.... lots of intrusion by the Prius.

19. statultra

statultra uber-Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    preliminary reports had one person dead on impact, but later on the other lady died on the way to the hospital, regardless of the age of the occupants i dont think many people would survive something like that, not without severe internal injuries.

one of my friends in a S10 wearing a seatbelt was stopped at a light in Sarasota and a Toyota Camry hit him from the rear at 80 mph ( some teenagers doing drugs ) , even with seatbelts he ended up losing his memory for weeks and had bruising of the brain, a few years later he has recovered, the passengers in the camry werent wearing their seatbelts and were ejected and survived with minor injuries.

20. PA Prius

PA Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I wonder whether this Prius had the side curtain airbags.

PA P