1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Locating the 2006 Prius you want

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by BoosPrius, May 13, 2006.

1. BoosPrius

BoosPrius New Member

I just posted this in reply to someone who said he was having problems locating a Prius with the price and package he wants. I typed it very fast, so sorry about any typos. Toyota's home page has a great tool for locating Priuses in your state and elsewhere that are in stock or available. Hope this helps others:

I may be wrong, but I don't think the 2007 Prius is coming out until around late October or early November. Did some dealership tell you that you can get one now?? If so, I would not do business with them.

If you are looking for a 2006, try this method to find one: go to Toyota's home page. On the lower left, there are several links, such as Build Your Car. One of those links is called something like "Locate a dealer." When you click on that, a tiny white block will open right under the link, asking you for your zip code. Type it in, and another page will open showing you a list of dealers in your area (within something like 25 to 50 miles), and a link to each one's web page. In my state, Louisiana, the home web pages for each Toyota dealer all look almost exactly alike except for the dealer's name. At the top of each home page, usually on the left, but sometimes on the right, you will see an area for searching the dealer's inventory. There are three white blocks, one is for the manufacturer's name, which always shows as Toyota, and thus does not have to be filled out. The other 2 are for the model and year number. Just fill in Prius and 2006. A page will then open that shows you a list of all Priuses that the dealer has either IN STOCK or AVAILABLE. The key term is the latter, as most dealerships I check show one or two, if any, in stock. But AVAILABLE tells you which Priuses are in your whole area (the dealers in the area swap them back and forth). I'm not sure how big the area is. From what I could tell, it's not the whole state, but about 50 to 100 miles or so. The list also shows you the price of each Prius and the Option Package and other options it comes with. You have to click on each listing to see those details.

If your closest dealer has a Prius in stock, but not one you want, but the ones shown as AVAILABLE does include one you want, repeat this whole process for each dealership that Toyota's home page came up with for you. Also, if none of the dealerships thus listed have what you want, start from the beginning again, but this time put in the zip code for a big city about 100 miles away, get the list of all the dealerships there, and do this whole process again. For example, I'm helping a friend who is now looking for a Prius. I live near New Orleans, so first I checked all the dealerships in the New Orleans area and within about 50 miles, which was about 7 dealerships. She is being way too picky, tho. So I then got from Toyota's web site a list of all the dealerships in the Baton Rouge area, which is about 90 miles from New Orleans. If necessary, I could also get lists of dealerships from other cities in Louisiana that are another 100 miles or so away, or even check Houston, or any place in the country. My friend now can't decide whether she wants a Prius or hybrid Camry, so this could be a long search.

Good luck. If you're willing to drive as far as 300 miles or so, I think you will find it's not that hard to locate a Prius with the price range and options you want.

Gary
    2006 Super White

2. rudiger

rudiger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I tried to use the Toyota webpage 'search inventory' feature when looking for my Prius. Compared to Ford and GM, it's not as good. To begin with, it links you to a separate webpage that each dealership has (apparently) constructed on their own. With Ford and GM, the search appears to draw the inventories from a master database which exists on the corporate website.

Because of this, the inventories of the Toyota dealerships' webpages don't appear to be nearly as accurate as that of Ford or GM. There were lots of errors with the number of cars and prices, and the options weren't listed. Frankly, it wasn't very useful. With the Ford and GM corporate websites, you could actually access a virtual copy of the Monroney sticker for the vehicles you were interested in.

While a Ford or GM dealership can have a separate webpage just like Toyota, it appears that they have the option of listing their inventories on the main, corporate websites (and most do). This makes it much easier to search the inventories. The Toyota individual dealership webpages don't run nearly as smoothly, either.

The reason for the difference is probably how the vehicles are distributed among dealerships. Ford and GM likely have a much more controlled distribution system where they can tell exactly which dealerships get what cars, and that information is what is on the database. Toyota, with cars coming from both overseas and domestic plants, may have a different and more convoluted distribution network. Combined with the heavy swapping of inventories among dealerships, Toyota just might not have the capacity to structure their inventory search feature on the corporate website as Ford or GM do.

Toyota's system was likely the first to have inventory search and Ford and GM simply copied their lead, but did a good job of improving it. This is rather ironic since this is exactly how the Japanese manufacturers have overtaken the domestic automakers. The Japanese aren't quite as good at innovation as the domestics, but they're very good at taking an existing idea and improving the hell out of it.

3. brasche

brasche Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    www.vehix.com is how we found our Prius. We found the dealers listing their cars with vehix were a little more motivated than the high profile dealers.