1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Location of oxygen sensor bank 2?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by anthonylokrn, Aug 14, 2011.

1. anthonylokrn

anthonylokrn Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So I picked up a Scangauge to check the o2 sensor voltage due to a CEL P0420. I was able to pickup a voltage on Bank 1 sensor 2, but did not receive any feedback on Bank 2...what sensor is bank 2 on?

2. anthonylokrn

anthonylokrn Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Alright after reading some more I figured out there is no Bank 2 for the Gen2 Prius.

Bank 1 Sensor 1 = Upstream (pre-cat)
    Bank 1 Sensor 2 = Downstream (post-cat)

So the SG2 was able to detect the downstream o2 sensor, but no values were detected for the upstream o2 sensor.

Does anybody know the location to access the upstream o2 sensor?

Thanks,
    Anthony

3. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The upstream sensor is actually a Wide Band A/F sensor, it is in the exhaust manifold.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  4. anthonylokrn

anthonylokrn Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Awesome!

From the looks of it, seems like B1S1 is not accessible from the engine bay at all. I assume the sensor end can be accessed under the car, and the plug within the interior cabin?

I want to first check to make sure the harness is plugged in before I order a new air/fuel sensor.

I'm also looking at the Denso as a replacement (DENSO 234-9056 Fuel To Air Ratio Oxygen Sensor).

Any tip would be great.

Thanks again,
    Anthony

5. anthonylokrn

anthonylokrn Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I checked under the car today and it looks like I might be able to remove the air/fuel sensor from under the car, but unplugging the harness might be an issue. The TechInfo calls for draining of the HV coolant and removal of the inverter which will be quite a hassle.

The air/fuel sensor physically looked fine, the wire was still intact and it was indeed plugged in. Is there a fuse that I should check that might be blown? Is there any other reason that the SG2 cannot read anything from the air/fuel sensor (B1S1)?

The post-cat (B1S2) o2 sensor reads between .7 and .85 voltage on average...so those values I believe are within range and the catalytic converter is still good.

Thanks,
    Anthony

6. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  7. anthonylokrn

anthonylokrn Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  8. anthonylokrn

anthonylokrn Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm going to have a friend/mechanic use his own scan tool to see if he can pull a value from the air/fuel sensor. If not, then I will be replacing it with a DENSO 234-9056.

Just wondering though, are there any symptoms that comes with a completely non-functioning air/fuel sensor? I've still been averaging ~43mpg without even trying to be conservative.

Thanks,
    Anthony

9. Cip

Cip Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A