1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Location of XM Antenna on 2007 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by gators70, Aug 20, 2007.

1. gators70

gators70 Junior Member

When I purchased my 2007 Prius with the XM satellite capability, I also paid for the XM antenna and receiver. I just assumed the antenna would be on the back roof, as that was where my Honda Accord antenna was located.

Unfortunately, the antenna was put on the inside front dash on the passenger side and I get horrible reception. It goes in and out as I go down the road. I took the car back to the dealer and told them I wanted it mounted on the outside of the roof in the back. They told me that they could not move the antenna because Toyota provides an interior antenna and it could not be placed on the outside - that I would have to get an aftermarket antenna.

I found out that "another" Toyota dealer would replace my XM radio and antenna with a Sirius radio and antenna, and put the antenna on the back roof, but it would have cost me another $500+, so I went back to the GM of the dealer where I bought the car. They have agreed to fix the antenna through an outside company.

When I picked up my car today, the antenna was not on the roof of the car, but they had simply moved the antenna to the outside of the front window at the bottom of the glass. When I questioned the "interior" antenna story, they said oh no, it is an internal/external antenna and this is the ONLY place that Toyota would let them put it. They even went so far as to tell me they could not put the antenna on the roof as it was metal and this was the best place.

My questions are (1) Is there really an internal antenna only, and how can I tell if that is what I have? (2) Where is the best place for the XM antenna to be placed on a 2007 Prius, and (3) does Toytoa dictate where the antenna should be placed?

I can't believe the different stories that I am getting from Toytota everytime I talk to someone. What a mess! You pay extra to have the features on a car, and then monthly service to XM and can't even hear the radio!

I would appreciate any feedback so that I know how to proceed with the dealer.

Frustrated in Tampa, Florida!

2. Barcelona Red Lass

Barcelona Red Lass Sips gas like fine wine!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    We got the '07 satellite capable model too. The dealer only had XM, but we bought a Toyota Sirius satellite pack through the shop on this website, and the dealer installed it no problem. They also put the antenna thingie on the roof back by the regular radio antenna. The only thing the dealer noted was that I needed to make sure the Sirius pack had the "fit kit" so that they would have all the parts they needed.

I don't know what the deal is with your dealer!

3. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Your dealer sounds horribly mis-informed. The XM fit kit comes with a standard XM micro antenna that can be installed outside of the car very easily. I have mine under my Shark Fin antenna on the roof of my car. Never have any problems with reception.