1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

lock and unlock chirp has flown the coop

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by xrep, Sep 20, 2007.

1. xrep

xrep Junior Member

The confirming chirp for locking and unlocking our '04 has quit working. We always use the keyless entry but we no longer hear our friendly beep. Have I somehow disabled it or do these things go bad? Is there a fix or do we just live without that little confirming chirp?

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No way to disable that that I'm aware of. I wonder if your 'chirper' is broken? I've never heard of this problem before.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well.. technically the dealer can disable the beep (and only have the lights flash) but it's not something you can disable yourself. Perhaps check with the dealer?

4. ACORNBLUES

ACORNBLUES New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(xrep @ Sep 20 2007, 09:46 PM) [snapback]515575[/snapback]</div>
    Check the chirper. Do you have the smartkey? I would recommend that you power up your car. Open the door, walk out and close it. See if you hear the car chirp....

5. jdmckay

jdmckay New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Along the same lines, although mine has gained a honk... sometimes!
    Sometimes when locking or unlocking via keyless entry or keyfob the car will honk and beep at the same time.

I've owned this car since 2008 and have never had any issues with it. I just got a USB cigarette lighter adaptor to charger my phone and other various usb powered devices. Do you think this had anything to do with it? It's not in the lighter receptacle when it happens.

It also just started unlocking on "power off". I'm going to go try some settings to see if I can set that back.

6. jdmckay

jdmckay New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay, just went out and tried to disable/enable something with the instructions on this site, thinking I had enabled something on accident. I don't think I have.

The other thing I noticed is that it definitely locks and unlocks the car doors when powering up or powering down - ALWAYS. This is not intermittent. I don't remember this happening before.

7. jelloslug

jelloslug It buffed right out!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The little "beep speaker" is located between the coolant thermos and the front drivers side wheel. You can see it in the pic below. It the the small black box with the rounded top half that is attached to the framework.

[​IMG]