1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lock doors @ 15mph?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Zaxxon, Feb 15, 2007.

1. Zaxxon

Zaxxon New Member

Is there a way to program an 07 Prius to lock the doors either when moving into Drive or at some low-mph speed? It seems like this is a common option these days (our 05 Camry has it), but I haven't found a way to make my Prius lock its own doors. Anyone know of a way?

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    coastaletech.com sells a mod that will do this for you.

3. Zaxxon

Zaxxon New Member

That's a shame--this car is too smart to be so dumb!

4. jimmyrose

jimmyrose Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My mini-van did this @ 15 mph. I disliked it the entire time I had the vehicle.
    But, my Prius has this magic button on the driver-side door arm rest that will lock my doors. I would press it, but I'd have to move my arm to do it... :p

5. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Zaxxon @ Feb 15 2007, 04:51 PM) [snapback]391073[/snapback]</div>
    And it's shame people can't just lift a finger to press a button to lock their own doors. :rolleyes:

6. Zaxxon

Zaxxon New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rest @ Feb 16 2007, 04:47 AM) [snapback]391341[/snapback]</div>
    It's a shame that people can't turn their audio volume up as the car's speed increases, or make sure to remember to turn the heat down when the cabin temperature warms up to a comfortable level, or keep their foot on the gas to maintain a constant speed, or put their key in the door lock before entering, or...

;)

7. lenjack

lenjack Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It would be convenient, and Toyota has it on other models.

8. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Zaxxon @ Feb 16 2007, 07:43 AM) [snapback]391352[/snapback]</div>
    I totally agree. :)

9. ilusnforc

ilusnforc Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Coastal seems to have made a good solution, but I would rather the doors lock when the car is put into drive and unlock when you press the Park button (or when it's turned off, sometimes I don't push park).

10. DelerPrius

DelerPrius New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Zaxxon @ Feb 16 2007, 06:43 AM) [snapback]391352[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, and it's a shame people can't rotate their arms to crank windows up and down, and step on a foot pump to spray the windshield. Why not just get rid of electric turn signals while we're at it--people can just crank down their windows and put their arm out to hand signal--hey it worked 60-70 years ago--why not now? They can use the exercise! And for that matter, people should have to get up and walk to the tv to change the channel or volume! No more of this remote control stuff! :rolleyes:

11. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ilusnforc @ Feb 20 2007, 09:17 AM) [snapback]393331[/snapback]</div>
    On the Auto-Lock for the Gen 1, the doors locked when the driver's seat belt was fastened and unlocked when the belt was unfastened.

One note about Coastal's Auto-Lock; it locks the first time you reach 15 and that's it. If, for example, you pull up to a curb and let someone off (without powering down), the door(s) will not re-lock.

12. OlsonBW

OlsonBW New Member

It sounds like you like cars where you have to crank the engine to get it working.

13. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    One thing that the Malibu had that I did like, was the variable stereo volume.

Of course, I had to fiddle with it all the time, anyway, no matter how I set the MIN and MAX volumes, it was never just right when it did it automatically!

Most of the time, I don't have the stereo on, anyway. I prefer to listen to my car purr, and the silence when I come to a stop, or when I'm gliding :)

I did get used to the doorlocks, but I can definitely live without them.

14. jammin012

jammin012 The man behind The Man

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The Jaguar locks at 5mph. Bad idea unlocking when you put it into park or turn the car off. Auto lock good, auto unlock bad. The Jag would unlock when you pulled the handle to get out, no pushing of buttons. If a passenger got out only that door would unlock, if the driver got out all the doors would unlock. Your doors should only unlock when YOU want them to, not to allow an intruder in just because you're parked.

15. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I agree with jammin012.
    We should be able to select one from several usage models (15mph or Park, or else) or
    deactivate it. However, it should lock but not unlock a door. In BMW, if the door is locked, the first pull of the inside door handle will unlock it, the second pull will open the door. Simple. I wonder why other automakers don't follow this simple usage.

16. jammin012

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    It's amazing all the neat little things the high end car makers can come up with and how long it takes to filter down the chain.

UT OH did I just say the Prius wasn't a high end auto? Well, as far as innovation absolutely high end, comfort and convenience... not so much. I'll duck while broadsides are being shot, but while you're shooting just look at the "What do you wish your Prius came with" thread.

Jags, BMWs, Mercedes and Volvos all come with cool little convenience gadgets like auto locks, not pushing buttons to unlock doors, your windows automatically rolling up when the doors are locked, folding side mirrors, heated/cooled seats, heated glass of all types, auto dimming rearview mirror, voice activated anything, homelink controls, keyless entry and starting, extra high headrests, windows that automatically roll down if they hit something hard so your kid's head doesn't get squooshed, rain sensing wipres, heck they even put wipers on the headlights.

Some of these features have filtered down the food chain but there are a lot more that you wouldn’t miss unless you’ve had them before.

Took me 3 years for comfort to take a back seat to MPGs, now I just want comfort to catch up.

As for auto locks, take a seriously hard look and think about what you’re asking for, safety of the occupant is always paramount. If I were a carjacker and I knew a certain make of auto had an auto unlock in park option, that’ll be a BIG target.

Funny one night I was watching CSI and a couple left a restaurant and got in their X-Type, drove off and you heard a carjacker get in the back seat and took them off. I started laughing because I knew it HAD to be an inside job, the Jag would have locked the doors before they got 15’ from the restaurant. Sure enough it was. Pretty much ruined the ep but it was fun to watch.

17. sweetguy

sweetguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I wouldn't be so excited about automatically locking doors. If you get into an accident, you may be more easily rescued if the doors are UNlocked. Of course, it may be better to lock them in a bad neighborhood. This is best left to the driver's brain as opposed to the car's.

18. rick57

rick57 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I ran into this on an 08 that a customer wanted changed. A fellow tech was trying to change it to Auto Lock when put in gear. Having worked on Prius' since they came out, I knew it couldn't be done. But he had the Techstream ( our diagnostic tester/laptop ) hooked up so we looked at the Customization list and found nothing. The next day the customer came in and was showing the service writers her Owners Manual and yes there it was in black and white that it could be changed. Being the "go to tech " at the dealer, I was asked about it later. I checked online at TIS and found that, yes, the Owners Manual showed it in the list. So I had the customer rescheduled for me to find out what was going on. Hooking up the Techstream I found that nothing was avaliable. Calling the tech line, I found out that this is a mistake in the owners manual and Toyota is aware of it. So sorry, Prius' can't be done as far as the Customization is concerned.

19. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    sweetguy,
    I am not a big advocate of BMW (as I used to be), but this is trivial and has been solved.
    On any BMW, when in a crash, a crash sensor triggers the computer to unlock all doors at the same moment the airbags deploy, and also flash the hazard lights automatically (in case the driver is unconscious). It even disconnects the battery terminal to reduce chance of fire happening (spark could ignite fires from fuel leak).

20. jammin012

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I just installed my Coastal EEEEEE Tech Auto Door Lock and it's not working as advertised..... IT'S BETTER.

As soon as the car "boots up" all the doors lock. I don't even get it out of park. I love it. I haven't tried to see if it works more than once before turned off and on again. I was worried about the 15mph thing and was eventually going to call them or take it apart to see if it could be adjusted for a lesser speed. Locks when turned on works for me :p