1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lock/EV mod screw up-Help!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Prizzle, May 14, 2006.

1. Prizzle

Prizzle New Member

OK I managed to cut a wire the white with black stripe) with a tap installing the Coastaltech lock and EV mods. Having a heck of a time re-connecting since the wire block end piece is very short. I failed several times to connect it, my hands are hamburger. I may have to take this somewhere to fix and I'm pretty worried its not an easy fix, but first, does anyone know what the white black stripe wire is for, what it does? Other than the mods not working, the only thing that seems wrong at the moment is the passenger air bag light does not say "on". Lock mod worked briefly before the wire broke-EV mod never worked.

Sheesh

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Prizzle @ May 14 2006, 03:23 AM) [snapback]255108[/snapback]</div>
    That's probably just a ground wire. is it the wire on the EV mod or a wire from the plug to the ECU?

The fix shouldn't be that hard. If you can splice another piece of wire to the stump by soldering you should be OK...just be careful to get everything you don't want to burn out of the way of the soldering iron.

3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    yep, that's a ground. get a no-crimp wire splice, strip off a little from the end of each part of the wire, and stick them in there and screw them down. make sure it's a good connection and you have the right size splice, since it's not a big wire.

4. Prizzle

Prizzle New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ May 14 2006, 04:47 AM) [snapback]255110[/snapback]</div>
    It's the wire from the plug to the ECU. Odd that it's not overtly affecting the engine ( that I can tell anyway) I'm not geared for soldering-I was trying to use crimp connectors. I have to figure out where I could take it locally other than the dealer(!) to solder.

K

5. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    splicing another piece of wire has its own set of complications, i should mention. you have to deal with changes in resistance and use a different wire size to compensate. if it's possible it is best to use a splice connector so you don't have to deal with that.

you really don't want to have issues with a ground wire in a prius.

6. Prizzle

Prizzle New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ May 14 2006, 10:45 AM) [snapback]255169[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks efusco and galaxee. I'm headed out to see if I can find a crimpless connector as this is not the place for me to learn to solder. I hear you on the resisance issue but not much choice here for me. Hopefully with a ground its less significant.

7. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    where exactly did you cut this wire so you couldn't splice it back together directly?

definitely pick a slightly larger wire to do this because the grounds are important, and electrical properties apply to all wires.

good luck!

8. Prizzle

Prizzle New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ May 14 2006, 02:26 PM) [snapback]255260[/snapback]</div>
    Its at the connector end, leaving about 1/2" before the connecting block that attaches to the computer. Couldn't find a non-crimping connector so I have bought a couple of sizes of butt connectors and a telephone tap that might work as well as smaller crimping tool. It's really a small space to work in and not much wire left and its tough not to jar the connector when reattaching the plug.

Meanwhile our other car has a flat, its in the sidewall and can;t be repaired, there is no spare and its a specialty tire size that has to be ordered and we have to be at work tomorrow. And its still pouring out.

*&^%$#&!!

9. Prizzle

Prizzle New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Prizzle @ May 14 2006, 01:42 PM) [snapback]255239[/snapback]</div>

It's fixed! Used smaller crimp connectors, smaller crimp tool and a longer piece of added wire to bridge the gap. Still had the auto-lock mod installed and it was working so I know the ground wire connections are good. I buttoned her up and I'm going to leave well enough alone for now and not go back in and reinstall the EV mod till some other day when this all blows over. Oddly it didn't work the first time, so I wonder if it conflicts with the auto lock mod. I'll ask the folks at Coastaletech. Meanwhile, very happy with the auto-lock; a safety necessity in my book.

Thanks for the support guys!

K

10. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    From the beginning, I knew that I didn't know enough to even be able to chime in and be productive but I've been following your challenges all day.

I'm glad to hear that it worked out and that you got it figured out. I'm sure that your heart stopped beating a few times and you might have even felt that you were going to throw up once or twice. I know that when my EV button was stubborn going in, I felt that way and even got so light-headed that I passed out in front of the group.

So trust me, when I say 'congratulations' I know what you went through today.

11. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Prizzle @ May 14 2006, 03:35 PM) [snapback]255390[/snapback]</div>
    Glad it works!

I have both Coastal's Auto-Lock and EV mod and it was a pain because both connect to the same wire. I didn't expect it when I had put the Auto-Lock in back in September, but it's hard to say what I would've changed. I mean, there isn't much room to play with there.

12. Prizzle

Prizzle New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ May 14 2006, 10:35 PM) [snapback]255478[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks gang! Also though the tire in my other beast has to be replaced, I bought some time with some fix-a-flat and we both will manage to get to work tomorrow so we can pay for these toys. The tire was trashed anyways. And yes, if you notice my first post was at 4:30 AM eastern time, you can see what I was going through.

Ready to fight another daY!

K

13. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    ah, the joys of modding your prius :D

glad you got it taken care of- more experience for your next task ;)