1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Locked in Speed Dial With Bluetooth/Mot Q 9h

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by sf94127a, Jan 7, 2008.

1. sf94127a

sf94127a New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have a 2007 Prius with package 4 and a Motorola Q 9h cell phone which is exlcusive to AT&T. Its a great cell phone, supports 3G. The cell phone works BUT I find after a few minutes the Prius will just allow the Speed Dial menu to be selected and you can't select anything else. These means I can't manually dial in the number. It seems like the problem is with the Prius but who knows. Anyone else see this problem?

2. PriuStorm

PriuStorm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Yes... sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't. I can't figure why.

3. Stinky Pierre

Stinky Pierre New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    i had an answer but realized i misunderstud...

4. CatahoulaB

CatahoulaB Redneck Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Mine does the same thing if the car is out of Park. I always assumed it was a safety feature. They don't want you dialing numbers while the car is moving. I could certainly be wrong but I just guessed that was the deal.

5. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Details in your hand book

6. NanaEllen

NanaEllen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'm having a similar problem, though less predictable. I bought my 2007 Pkg #4 Prius last November. No trouble with bt pairing my AT&T Samsung SGH-D807. No trouble manually entering names/numbers. Can't upload from my phone to the car, but that may be the phone. (QUESTION #1: anybody have any idea what characteristics a phone must have to support uploading its phone book?)

No trouble receiving calls. But when I try to make a call, it gets weird. If I use the steering wheel controls, first press Off-hook, then press Talk. Sometimes it says, "Say a Command". Sometimes it says, "At the beep, please say the number." Sometimes--rarely!--it says, "At the beep, please say a name." I cannot find a way to make it go back to "Say a Command" in order to switch from number to name mode. If I press off-hook on the steering whille, I can press Phone Book on the touch-screen, then press the Talk switch, and then it will ask me to say a name. Or not. Sometimes, though, I can't press Phone Book on the touchscreen, because it displays the Speed Dial screen, so all I can do is redial the last call. I think I've only seen this last obstacle when I've been driving, but I have sat in Park for hours in end trying to coax it into saying , "Say a Command." I can press and hold something, "Talk" I think, and that resets it. Kind of. WHen I then press off-hook again, and Talk, again, it will say something about initiating voice recognition, and then it will say, "Please say the number." I think there's something wrong with it, but the dealer is clueless. The Service Department sent me to sales to talk to the tutors; the tutors don't know how to work the phone. So...I'd say, I'm not supposed to initiate hands-free calls while driving, except sometimes I can, and sometimes I can't. What's up with that?

7. NanaEllen

NanaEllen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'm having a similar problem, though less predictable. I bought my 2007 Pkg #4 Prius last November. No trouble with bt pairing my AT&T Samsung SGH-D807. No trouble manually entering names/numbers. Can't upload from my phone to the car, but that may be the phone. (QUESTION #1: anybody have any idea what characteristics a phone must have to support uploading its phone book?)

No trouble receiving calls. But when I try to make a call, it gets weird. If I use the steering wheel controls, first press Off-hook, then press Talk. Sometimes it says, "Say a Command". Sometimes it says, "At the beep, please say the number." Sometimes--rarely!--it says, "At the beep, please say a name." I cannot find a way to make it go back to "Say a Command" in order to switch from number to name mode. If I press off-hook on the steering whille, I can press Phone Book on the touch-screen, then press the Talk switch, and then it will ask me to say a name. Or not. Sometimes, though, I can't press Phone Book on the touchscreen, because it displays the Speed Dial screen, so all I can do is redial the last call. I think I've only seen this last obstacle when I've been driving, but I have sat in Park for hours in end trying to coax it into saying , "Say a Command." I can press and hold something, "Talk" I think, and that resets it. Kind of. WHen I then press off-hook again, and Talk, again, it will say something about initiating voice recognition, and then it will say, "Please say the number." I think there's something wrong with it, but the dealer is clueless. The Service Department sent me to sales to talk to the tutors; the tutors don't know how to work the phone. So...I'd say, I'm not supposed to initiate hands-free calls while driving, except sometimes I can, and sometimes I can't. What's up with that?

8. NanaEllen

NanaEllen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have some intel on the hands-free feature. I found someone in the dealer's service dept. who researched and learned that the hands-free phone is pretty well integrated with the nav feature. Cars without nav (like my 2007 option pkg 4) have a kind of "disintegrated" hands-free setup. Here's what I was told to do:
    1) Press off-hook. This brings up the phone screen on the touchpad.
    2) Press "settings" on the touch pad
    3) Press the Talk button on the steering wheel.
    4) the voice prompt says, "Say a Command".
    5) respond, "Dial by Name"
    6) The prompt acknowledges, resets the screen, asks for the name.
    7) say the name.
    8) The prompt acknowledges, and says, "when ready, press the Talk button or press the Off-hook button to dial."
    9) I have to wait until after the voice prompt finishes. If I press Off-hook too soon, it returns to the Phone screen and I have to start over.

Alternatively, I can press Off-Hook, and then Phone book on the phone screen. That will put me in the "dial by name" function.

It is important to WAIT between steps so the system can prepare for the next step. If step 1 brings up the Speed Dial screen, then I can (usually) recover by pressing the Back arrow, which brings up a phone screen with most of the options grayed out. Then I press the Hang-up button on the Wheel, twice, wait, and then press Off-hook. So far, this has resulted in the regular phone screen so I can press Settings and proceed with steps 3-9. This all definitely discourages me from making many calls while driving!

9. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  10. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You realize that once the car is moving the Speed Dial is all you have access to via the MFD. Is that what you're referring to? While moving your only other options are Voice Command dial by name/number or dial via your cellphone. Review the manual and check back with any questions.

11. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    While sitting still....
    Ok, begin the whole process on a screen other than a telelphone screen. (Don't push the off-hook switch first.)
    Push the VR Talk switch, it will state "Please say a command"
    You say "dial by name" and it'll take you to the phone book screen, where it will prompt for and you can say a name you've recorded for that contact.
    Alternatively, when it says "Please say a command"
    You say "dial by number" and it'll take you to the keypad screen where it will then prompt for and you can say a number.

If you begin by pushing the off-hook switch, it'll take you to the telephone keypad directly, and if then push the VR Talk switch, it'll prompt you directly for "please say a number". You cut to the chase with that sequence.
    Alternatively, if you begin with the off hook switch, as above, you can select the "phonebook" button on the keypad screen and then pushing the VR talk switch it will prompt, "please say a name."

When you are moving, it's something like the above. But hitting the off-hook switch first will only take you to the speed dial page, so if you want to use voice commands, don't begin with the off-hook switch( ie: a page other than a phone page.) Begin with just the VR talk switch, and say the command you want.

In summary, it depends on if you begin with the off-hook switch , or the VR talk switch.

12. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Samsung phone are very bad about not supporting any kind of contact transfer in the Prius. Also, not supporting signal strenth nor battery level display on our screens.
    This link tells all, just fill in the blanks
    Toyota Bluetooth Phone

13. wgary

wgary Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have given up on the voice command. It is unpredictable and unhelpful. "You can't do that from here." #$%^&* So you know what I want done, but just refuse to help? Dang.

I have my speed dials set. That pretty much works in a couple screen taps. If I want a non-programmed number, well I pick up my phone and use its voice dial. Which actually allow dial by name or by number without a lot of hoopla.

Overall, the voice feature may look great on a check-off sheet when comparison shopping, but just not worth the hassle in real life, at least to me.

14. PriuStorm

PriuStorm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I would have to agree with this. I didn't even realize that the 2007 Package #4 had Voice Dial, so of course I rushed right out to check it out. It took me about 15 minutes of driving around my neighborhood (Trial by Fire ;) ) for it to understand my home phone number, and then I had to speak it in such an unnatural voice. When I first read this thread, I was like 'Wow!', but after having tried it, it's as user-UNfriendly as the voice-dial feature on my Sony Eriksson phone. IMO, the best phone I've had with spot-on reliable voice dial was a basic LG phone, one that came out about 5 years ago. I was so disappointed when I replaced it with the SE 600wi...