1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Locked out -- even with metal key

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by scoonee, Feb 2, 2008.

1. scoonee

scoonee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Anybody been completely locked out? I had my 04 Prius serviced a week ago, drove home, parked as usual, went on a one-week business trip, and on my return the fob wouldn't unlock the door. No problem I thought -- must have left a dome light on or something and run down the battery -- that's what the metal key is for. But the metal key won't unlock the door either. It turns in the lock but nothing happens. Same with the second fob and metal key. Service at the dealer says they never heard of this and can only suggest calling the RAC (UK version of AA). But I'm not sure how they will get in without breaking a window, and it doesn't appear you can jump start the car without getting in to released the bonnet (hood).

Any ideas? Thanks....

2. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    turn the ket the oposite way

i found that my metal key dint not work.. until i turnt it the wrong way ( it felt like the wrong way :D )

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Weird, no idea why the key won't work..the fob, sure if the battery's dead, but the mechanical key should work.

4. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think you need to turn the key harder. I have found this before(with a Holden Commodore), while the key turns one way easy enough you need to turn it the other way with a fair amount of force. You shouldn't need pliers but a hard turn by hand. Remember this lock doesn't get used much.

I'll run out and check which way mine turns.

I'd recommend people try to open the door with the key now and then to prevent it seizing up. Graphite powder can be used to lube the lock.

PS, The Australian made 6.0 litre V8 SS Commodore is sold in the UK as a Vauxhall. How off topic is that?

5. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For right hand drive Prius turn the key almost 1/4 turn anticlockwise to unlock.

6. scoonee

scoonee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Thanks! I had tried the "wrong" way but, especially since I didn't think it was meant to go in that direction, I was afraid to turn too hard since the key doesn't look that sturdy. But armed with your advice, I gave it a very hard twist and it worked. Now I can do a jump start.

You guys have helped me out a lot! (While I do feel a bit stupid, I would have felt a lot stupider if I'd had to get the RAC to come..).

C Wagner likes this.
  7. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    scoonee,
    That is how I found out about turning hard, I called the RAA and they told me to turn it harder.
    Actually my Prius lock wasn't that hard to turn. I have messed with it before though.

8. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    no thx

sometime going the wrong way helps:D

9. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I've never used the mechanical lock/key in my Prius. An issue came up on the forum around a month ago, and I thought I would try the key to see if it would work.

Keep in mind my Prius is almost 4 years old, and I have *never* used the key

Well, the bloody key would barely even turn the lock was so stiff. My guess that 4 years of non-use, combined with road salt use in winter, corroded the mechanical lock

I picked up a can of lock cleaner/lubricant and liberally doused the lock cylinder with the fluid. The lock worked *much* easier. I'm going to lubricate my lock cylinder every Spring and Fall, and I would suggest any Prius owner living in an area where road salt is used in winter, to do the same

10. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Let me guess, you have one as a patrol car. Lucky bugger.

11. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Glad it's fixed.

I was going to suggest the dealership gave you the wrong car and when you turned it off, naturally you couldn't turn it on or unlock it.

12. JHSmith

JHSmith 2020 Avalon Hybrid Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What worries me about my Camry (and the Prius) is that with having only ONE (1) key slot, IF the mechanical linkage to the lock has a problem and you don't realize it, you are in deep trouble if your 12 v battery dies.:eek:

Yeah, I know, that's two casualties happening, but how many of us check out the operation of the key slot? Come on, be honest! :cool:

Granted, the TCH has a key slot for the trunk, but we CANNOT climb through the small pass-through to get to the passenger compartment.

Question: Would AAA (or someone) be able to use a "Slim Jim" to open the driver's door?[​IMG]

13. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Going to place where you can get a good answer. That is definitely smart.

14. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    How about if the keyfob battery goes dead?

I never even thought of checking the mechanical key lock cylinder until another thread brought it up

http://priuschat.com/forums/prius-technical-discussion/41442-smart-key-recharge.html

Pretty clear now my fob batteries were starting to get weak. I'm going to get into the habit of lubricating and testing my key lock cylinder every Fall and Spring

15. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    If the car has power, then the key lock cylinder triggers the central locking - a 45 degree turn will lock or unlock all doors. That's less likely to have a problem that the actual mechanical back-up - the 90 degree turn unlocking the driver's door.

My lock gets a bit of use anyway - it's handy if you want to leave the car running a bit to de-ice; you can leave the fob in the ignition and then lock the door with the key.

16. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't, I have to V6 version.
    If I could fit the equipment we carry in the back I would rather have a Prius. The boot space of the Prius is 50mm(2") too short, damn!
    I'll have a look at Camry Hybrid when it comes out here and push to switch if it will work for us. We are currently switching to Ford Territory and maybe the diesel version when it comes here. The commodore boot has shrunk in the latest model.

Sorry this is OT.

17. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Well, that's typical of a fleet duty vehicle. They're usually purchased based on price, not fuel economy or features

18. realpriusnovice

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I cannot get the car unlocked even when with a 1/4 anticlockwise turn. And both my dealership and toyota.com are closed on Sundays, so I cannot get answers from them. :( Can a tow truck mechanic use a Slim Jim or other tool? Or would they have to break the window to get into the car?

19. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Remember that it's a good idea to pull on the door with the key turned. Turn the key all the way (it goes backwards of most), hold it there, and pull the door handle. That should do it.

Tom

20. realpriusnovice

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks for responding! Tried that. Still doesn't work. Any other ideas? :confused:

Lacona