1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Locking the doors when another door or hatchback is still open

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by leghk, Jun 13, 2012.

1. leghk

leghk New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This seems like such a simple question, but my forum search-fu has failed me. I found one thread, but it didn't have an answer. I've got a prius 2010, how do I lock the car with one of the doors (or hatchback) still open? As I'm sure everybody has experienced, the car just beeps at you until you close a door... And then it stops beeping, but doesn't lock. I find this to be exceedingly annoying, I'm surprised I couldn't find more than 1 other thread complaining about it. I find it annoying in two common situations:
    a) I plan on locking the car with the fob, filling both of my hands full of things and pushing the door shut with my butt. I have no free hands left to find the fob in my pocket and lock the door, or walk around to the driver's side of the car to touch the lock sensor.
    b) A passenger is dawdling getting all their stuff ready and plans to catch up with me in 30 seconds. I need the lock the car before I walk away

There is a customization setting that the manual references that disables the "buzzer sound when pushing lock with any door not closed", however the manual doesn't say if this would allow you to actually lock the doors with a door open. Anybody have any ideas? Or am I just going go get used to it after another month? :D

2. Erikon

Erikon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Don't think there's a way to do it with the fob, but you can press the armrest lock button to lock all the doors even if one or more are open, if that helps.

3. leghk

leghk New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You mean on the one on the door? That's weird, I've tried that one too. It just beeped at me. Maybe the passenger side one works differently or something.

4. Erikon

Erikon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Drivers side button should lock all doors, same as on any car with power locks.

5. Erikon

Erikon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hmm, perhaps not, it'll work for the drivers door, but not the passenger doors.

6. fjpod

fjpod Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yeah, I have found that annoying too...that you cannot lock the doors with the keyfob if one door is open. Real pain when you have to pick up and carry a lot of stuff from the car. The button on the armrest does work, but if you need to get stuff from the trunk, you have to open that first, then go to the driver;s door and push the button, then go back and get your stuff...Not a good system.

7. dmvp

dmvp Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Can't you just have the dawdling passenger hit the door lock on the arm rest when he/she leaves the car?

8. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You need to close the doors before it will lock. That's just the way it is.

Tom

9. fjpod

fjpod Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Not if you are alone.

10. fjpod

fjpod Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is the only car I have ever owned that requires this.