1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Logging of Giant Sequoia Monument

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by SSimon, Jul 26, 2006.

1. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    They're at it again. There's a Bill H.R. 5760 up for review that promotes logging of the Monument. It's presented under a guise that it provides transition of this land from logging to the more protected status of a monument. This, obviously, is a load of crap. They are using this cloak as a means to try to log mature Sequoia trees. If it's any indication, the EPA and the US Fish and Wildlife Service have concerns about the Bill and the effects that logging will have on the area. Bush Sr. even declared this area off limits to logging. If you care, it's time to write some letters.............

2. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    What good will it do?

Even voting doesn't help.

3. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jul 26 2006, 10:57 AM) [snapback]292660[/snapback]</div>
    Logging is explicitly prohibited in the original proclamation that established Giant Sequoia National Monument. The Forest Service has tried multiple end runs under the guise of "fire reduction". Federal courts have upheld the enabling legislation every time. Supporters are now looking to transfer GSNM to the National Park Service.

The Forest Service and current administration have a mind set of "Clear cut, burn, pave it over and paint it green" - a single use extraction economy outlook. The GSNM was established for long-term sustainable protection of Sequoiadendron trees in the Sierra Nevada, not short-term gain.

Sequoiadendron are well known enough that the Bush administration will not prevail in the current proposal to extract trees.

4. wstander

wstander New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SSimon @ Jul 26 2006, 09:25 AM) [snapback]292603[/snapback]</div>
    I just checked Thomas; do you have the HR # correct? Here is what Thomas says on H.R.5760:

H.R.5760
    Title: To express the sense of the Congress with respect to sports blackouts.
    Sponsor: Rep Darden, George (Buddy) [GA-7] (introduced 8/4/1992) Cosponsors (21)
    Related Bills: H.R.4850
    Latest Major Action: 9/14/1992 Referred to House subcommittee. Status: Referred to the Subcommittee on Telecommunications and Finance.

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d102:HR05760:

Okay, a little more digging:

2. H.R.5760 : To fulfill President Clinton's commitments made as part of the designation of the Giant Sequoia National Monument by presidential proclamation to provide a transition from the timber sale program in effect before the designation to the more restrictive management anticipated for the national monument, to promote the Kings River Research Project in the Sierra National Forest, and for other purposes.
    Sponsor: Rep Nunes, Devin [CA-21] (introduced 7/11/2006) Cosponsors (1)
    Committees: House Agriculture; House Resources
    Latest Major Action: 7/17/2006 Referred to House subcommittee. Status: Referred to the Subcommittee on Department Operations, Oversight, Nutrition and Forestry.

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c109:H.R.5760:

5. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You sound like my sister!!!!!!! :) Sometimes one voice evolves into a collective voice and we prevail. Just look at the idiots that keep trying to drill the arctic for a drop of oil...if it weren't for a collective voice, the drills would be up and running. Besides, comment letters from the public cannot be rigged as easily as are our voting machines.
    :eek:

6. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
  7. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Ummm, the bill in question is simply fullfilling Clinton's proclamation.

From H.R. 5760... HR 5760
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE("H.R. 5760")</div>
    From clinton's proclamation... Proclamation 7295 (EDIT: fixed broken link)
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE("Proclamation 7295")</div>
    So, you should blame Clinton. He's the one whose proclamation clearly stated that existing timber contracts may be completed. Congress is simply following through on the proclamation.

8. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(skruse @ Jul 26 2006, 02:11 PM) [snapback]292668[/snapback]</div>
    Not true. As I showed above, the proclamation explicitly authorizes the completion of existing timber sales contracts.

9. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Marlin @ Jul 26 2006, 01:43 PM) [snapback]292689[/snapback]</div>
    The way I'm reading your post is that any "then" existing contracts for logging would be "grandfathered" in. So far as I'm aware, and as skruse mentioned, current logging is prohibited. Designation of the area as a monument was supposed to protect the area from future logging. The current Bill is trying to see fit that this protection is overturned. Some of these trees slated to be cut are over 300 years old, if you care. They can spin the Bill anyway they want but the outcome is not positive.

Defining information on monumental status of this area: When the Monument was established in 2000 on 300,000 acres of Sequoia National Forest, conservationists believed they had finally gained protection for the 34 last remaining giant-sequoia stands in the Sierra Nevadas. Indeed, the proclamation establishing the monument banned commercial logging on the Monument.

10. seasidetraveler

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    skruse- Hello neighbor! I thought I was the only Fresnan on priuschat!

11. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SSimon @ Jul 26 2006, 03:02 PM) [snapback]292699[/snapback]</div>
    Basically, what it sounds like is that there were a number of contracts that had already been signed or were in some legally binding phase of contract signing (that "decision notice" stuff). Clinton, in his proclamation, acknowledged these contracts and gave permission for them to be completed. By allowing these existing contracts to be completed, Clinton was explicitly permitting the continued logging of the areas under contract until the contracts were completed. Logging contracts are not completed in half a day, they last for months, if not years. His statement that existing contract could be completed can not be interpreted in any other way than that commercial logging would continue in the areas under contract until the completion of the contract. You just can't be much more explicit than "Timber sales under contract as of the date of the proclamation and timber sales with a decision notice signed after January 1, 1999, but prior to December 31, 1999, may be completed consistent with the terms of the decision notice and contract."

What Clinton's proclamation did do, however, was prohibit new contracts.

H.R. 5760 is very short and explicit. It is "ratifying" the proclamation by formally permitting the pre-existing contracts to be completed, as directed by Clinton's proclamation. The Federal government is bound by contracts just like everyone else. If it doesn't allow the contracts to proceed, then it gets sued. Perhaps that's what they should have done instead of following Clinton's direction.

As for your 300 year old trees, you should note in section (b) of the bill, it states:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE("H.R. 5760")</div>
    So, unless the "for safety reasons" provision is seriously abused, the 300 year old trees will be safe.

12. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Marlin, I think I messed up on Bills concerning my comment on the 300 year old trees. I now think this was another Bill. Apologies extended.

Anyhow, your interpretation and mine are the same in that any existing logging contracts at the time could be seen to completion. The same goes for mining, grazing etc. I do not believe there has been any logging in this area for years as the grandfathered logging contracts have been completed.

13. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SSimon @ Jul 26 2006, 03:35 PM) [snapback]292718[/snapback]</div>
    I would be willing to bet that there are outstanding contracts. It would not surprise me if the Forest Service, or whoever, put all operations in the monument on hold until the proclamation, and all of it's ramifications, were formally and legally sorted out. Given the glacial pace at which the Federal government acts, it would not surprise me if Congress is only now getting around to dealing with it. Therefore, it may be possible that for logging to start up again after the passing of this bill, until the contracts are complete.