1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

LoJack?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by JillN, Apr 6, 2004.

1. JillN

JillN New Member

I found some old posts from Gilles from Westboro Toyota - he indicates that LoJack should NOT be installed on the Prius, due to the potential draining of the small 12volt battery, and the potential for ECU failure, which would not be covered by warrentee.

Here are two of his old posts:

Toyota did not recommend installation of low jack because of the drain on the small 12 volt battery on the "priustoric" (01-03), I believe it is the same for 04 units!

There a glinch in the installation of Low Jack, and other add on equipment.

This is a STRICK POLICY warning from our Toyota regional technical representatives.

If installed equipment causes ecu failure or others , all waranties are void, to replace ecu I think it is expensive, cost maybe over $1,000. Folks just be careful!

This notice is from the factory!

Is this information accurate, or can I go ahead and install the LoJack?

Thanks!!

2. jasond

jasond New Member

3. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I see little point since the only way a Prius can presently be stolen is via a Flatbed truck unless the would-be theif is a carjacker or somehow gets a working keyfob for your car.

4. jasond

jasond New Member

Yeah, I didn't realize that until afterwards :)

At the time, I was thinking that (a) I have no garage, so it sits in my driveway, and (B) I was doing a lot of parking in The City, where it would be vulnerable.

The question remains whether or not it would affect the warranty, and whether I'd have a valid complaint against the dealership for selling/installing something that voided the warranty before I even took delivery.

5. seeh2o

seeh2o Prius OG

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    The dealership also sold me my LoJack and said nothing about it voiding the warranty. Also, LoJack is installed with it's own small battery. If there were a low level drain on the battery I seriously doubt that my electric battery would show a full (green) charge every morning as it does and has every day since I've had the car.

In my neck of the woods a car being stolen by flatbed is not unheard of. I park on the street and my house is about one block across a hillside, so LoJack gives me real peace of mind.

6. jasond

jasond New Member

It would be the regular 12-volt car battery that's drained.

As I understand it, LoJack has an internal battery and is also connected to the 12-volt.

"The LoJack unit constantly draws a very small amount of power from your vehicle's battery. Should your battery be disconnected, LoJack's back up battery will provide power."

That said, I'm not particularly worried that it will cause a real problem for me.. I don't leave the car off for months at a time, and it's not connected to the hybrid system so there's no VALID reason for Toyota to void the warranty.

7. Brian

Brian Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My Lojack is being installed on my Prius tomorrow at 10am. I am happy for it to come.

8. T_S_Kimball

T_S_Kimball Ambassador from Uru

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Yes, I also have LoJack installed on my 02, I specifically asked for it. Actually came 'free' in the loan agreement, and was installed at the dealer site.

My reason for it was to lower the insurance cost.

And yes, it is still possible for the car to be stolen. Though at home I have a garage for it (a luxury here in Hoboken ;) ), there's plenty of places where I'd park it and still could get grabbed by a tower.