1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

LoJack

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Marvinh, May 30, 2008.

1. Marvinh

Marvinh Marvin

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'm thinking of adding LoJack... mainly because of high gas prices. Let me explain: With the high cost of gas I'm concerned that the Prius will start to look better and better to thieves. I know, its 'impossible' to start w/o the smart key. But thieves can be very resourceful.

What do you think? Thanks. Marvin

2. fcc

fcc New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I decided not to get it. I did add a car alarm with window breakage though.
    Also if thieves are so resourceful what makes us think they cannot find the
    part that transmit where your car is and toss it into a trash can? Maybe I did
    not read the brochure very closely but anything that transmits a signal can
    be located with the right gear. Think about the stuff they use to locate a "bug"
    planted in a james bond movie. Same sort of concept.

3. Jack66

Jack66 Kinda Jovial Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The Prius still has one of the lowest theft rates in the country so I would save your money. I turned down the LoJack when I bought my Prius back in January and worried when I left it in a nearby commuter lot for a few days -- I shouldn't have worried. Discussions on Priuschat and Internet research put me at ease. I've seen a number of threads concerning Prii in accidents (e.g. "Oh the Pain!!!) but I haven't seen any threads for stolen Prii even though a couple are mentioned.

4. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The only way you can steal a Prius is to get a flat bed tow truck. But then you still could not drive it. You could only gut it for parts.

5. Marvinh

Marvinh Marvin

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I think only police depts have the gear. And its not gear that locates the device. The device puts out a locater signal.

Thanks for the reply. Marvin

6. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    And if someone really wants to steal only the fuel they'll just break open the fill door and the gas cap to syphon it out.

7. lefat1

lefat1 Fat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    not possible

8. richard schumacher

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What makes it impossible? Good news if true, and if we publicize it widely.

9. Turbogizzmo

Turbogizzmo New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Most people dont even think the Prius runs on gas, also it would be a waste of time to pull fuel out of it you would get triple the fuel from a SUV....also no one siphons, most stories i read is a nice holed drilled in the bottom of the gas tank.....

10. Jack66

Jack66 Kinda Jovial Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    A recent article told of emboldened thieves that use a cordless drill to drill a hole in the bottom of the tank and syphon out the gas through the hole. It is stupid, dangerous, and spills gas everywhere when someone tries to fill the tank back up.

11. lefat1

lefat1 Fat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    there has been an obstruction placed in all filler tubes so that syphoning can not be done, i believe since the mid 90's

12. My2008Prius

My2008Prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    There is a ball in the pipe that prevents the gas from blowing back up... It makes it nearly impossible to siphon out a gas tank anymore. As others have noted, it's easier to drill and drain (especially if the owner has a vehicle with a plastic tank [note I did not say rubber as in ours] )

13. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    No, you'd just have to replace the controlling ecu. But why do that, when parting cars out is the way to go ... in the lovely world of theft economics. So 'only' gutting it, is where the bad guys make big bucks.

Cops say that it's best to I.D. all your parts ... cat converter, traction batteries, HSD, etc. A ton of work, but if your car has stickers saying parts are I.D.'d many car crooks will simply move on for an easier mark.

I read on the Lexus SUV hybrid board that someone had their 400h stolen / trailered away in the middle of the night, right from the front of their home. So as hybrids become more popular, expect it to become more common.

14. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

I read that too. They're even doing the metal tanks, which is downright dangerous from the sparks.

But...they prefer vehicles with a higher clearance to make it more comfortable to work under the cars so I think the Prius is pretty safe. Trucks and SUVs were mentioned. And some poor guy with a truck rental place. And Motorhomes.

I am feeling better and better about my choice to buy a Prius in April of 2005.

15. racerbob

racerbob Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Not true. I looked up a 2007 Pontiac in Mitchell and they gave instructions on how to drain the fuel tank with a hand pump and hose down the old filler tube. Straight from a GM repair manual.

16. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    if anyone decides to get a lowjack, my advice is not to pay more then the 650.00 then lowjack charges for the unit.

i guess they updated thier site, they no longer actually list what the price is so it might of gone up or down.

maybe its 695.00

17. Marvinh

Marvinh Marvin

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Can we get back to the subject of LoJack? :). My original questions was: With the high price of gas, do you guys think the Prius is going to start looking more inticing to thieves?

Thanks! Marvin

18. SureValla

SureValla Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III

good call. And based on all the I ran out of gas threads most prii are probably down to their blinking bar anyway so a would be thief would probably get 2 gallons or so.

19. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I think the car thieves have so many available cars to steal that they won't bother spending any time trying to steal a Prius. They want efficiency, like any other business. Every minute a car thief spends working on a car, he's at risk of being caught.

If they intend to chop the car, LoJack won't help. It will be cut into pieces long before you get the police to try to track it down.

20. richard schumacher

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No. You can't drive a stolen Prius unless you also steal at least one of the fobs.