1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Long beeeeeeep on opening the door.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jeepien, Jan 17, 2005.

1. jeepien

jeepien Member

I've had something odd happen twice recently that I can't find mention of in the manual.

I walk up to my 05 with the smart key fob in my pocket. touch the door handle, get the normal confirming beep/flash behavior on unlock. But when I open the door, there is a sustained long complaining beeeeeeep that apparently continues until I get into the car and close the door. There's no indication of anything wrong on the dashboard (well, it's off, so there's no indication of anything at all). It starts and runs fine afterward.

The first time it happened, I think (or at least thought then) that I had left the dome light switched on overnight. But there must have been some battery saver feature turned on, because the light was NOT still lit when I walked up to it in the morning (I saw it fade up as I approached.)

The second time was after I had been using the power outlet fairly heavily in the afternoon, to run a small tire compressor, and then came back later that night to drive it. I don't know how much they draw, but it was on for probably fifteen or twenty minutes, and it sure makes a racket, so it might be sizeable. Still, I had the car on in Ready mode while I was using it, on the theory that Ready mode would keep the 12V battery charged up. It does, doesn't it?

So I've got a theory it's related to 12V battery usage, but apart from the beep there was no indication that the battery was suffering at all, and I wouldn't expect it to have any trouble.

BTW, can anyone confirm whether the dome light does eventually shut off if switched from Door to On, and then just left that way? How about the reading lamps on either side of it? My old Dodge was good that way. You could always walk away and never worry about lights being left on, inside or out. Tell me a car this technologically advanced is at least as good.

2. Jerry P

Jerry P Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    Make sure you don't inadvertently press the black 'lock' button on the door handle when opening the door. That will give you the long beep.

3. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

I agree with Jerry, sounds like you hit the black button when opening the door.

As for 12V and dome lights.
    If in ready, the converter in the inverter will keep the battery charged and provide power to the outlets. I too used my compressor, and it ran a bit faster with the car in Ready, as most cars would if you had the engine on.

The dome lighs will auto off only in DOOR position, as specified in the owner's manual. The map lights do not have that protection. I wish they had, I have forgotten them a few times, fortunately without any ill results.

4. jeepien

jeepien Member

Thanks, Jerry and Dan. It's quite possible that with gloves on I fat-fingered the lock button.

The lights-left-on situation is unfortunate. But I thought I saw some timeout setting that was settable by the shop, using the maintenance console.

I know the normal DOOR position time-to-fade-out is one of the variable settings, and since I'm taking my '05 in tonight for some accessories, I plan to ask them to extend that from the default 15 seconds to 30 seconds. The way it's set now, it always goes out just a few seconds before I want it to.

Thanks again.

:computer:

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe the dome lamps will shut off after... 20 or 30 mins. The map lights will not, as Dan mentioned

6. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

The dome lights will go out automatically after 20 minutes if you accidentally leave a door open. However, this feature is only available to the dome lights that are set to DOOR. If they are ON, they are uncontrollably ON.

7. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm.... Then different Toyotas have different settings? I know our 2000 Corolla's dome light will shut off after 20 mins. I know cause I turned it on to read while waiting for my parents.

8. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

The dome light will, but not the reading/map lights. I have forgotten them, finding them on later.

You mean you put it in the On position, and it shut off? I'll try it here.

9. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Just had it in the ON position for 40 minutes, still on.

Wiring diagram doesn't suggest it would.

10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah the dome light

hmm, okay then. So it must be different for each Toyota. Thanks for clarifying Dan! I'll remember to shut them off if I have them on.

11. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Well, the same wiring diagram is used for the US and Canada. Any differences due to options are documented. In the ON position, the dome light is grounded, while in DOOR position it is controlled ground. Now I may have missed control on the hot side. Can you describe in detail how you got it to turn off by itself, from walking in the car? I may have not duplicated your scenario correctly for my test.

12. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh no, I didn't do anything. I was in my car with the dome light on. I was reading and then it suddenly went off. I was puzzled. I turned it to the OFF position then back to ON. I figured out later when I looked at my watch and realised that the light's been on for a long time.

13. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

What I am asking is the sequence of events. Such as, for the headlights to turn off, you need to power off, and open the driver door. If power on again, or turn the headlights off then on, they will come on again.

14. jeepien

jeepien Member

But all this was, if I recall correctly, NOT in a Prius, is that right?

15. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Ah, I missed he was talking about a 2K corolla. I thought he was referring to US versus Canada.