1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Long descent

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by kensiko, May 12, 2013.

1. kensiko

kensiko Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Tesla Model S
    Model:
    II
    Hello,

for the second time I went a 130 km trip x 2 to my parents. I live in a place with many, many hills and mountains. I try to get everything I can from those. On a descent today, I ended up with a full battery and no way to store more energy, so I had to brake using the discs. My first question is does anybody here got a special technique to increase mpg on roads with long descents ?

Second question is, after the battery was full the ICE started, while braking, at a speed lower than 25 mph. Could it be because the electric drive was too hot? Thanks!

2. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Question #2
    No, because your battery was full and it had to get rid of excess electricity.

3. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If you anticipate that the downgrade will be long enough to fill the battery you ought to use the "B" position with your "gear" selector. That will save your brake linings extra wear and temperature.

Braddles.au likes this.
  4. kensiko

kensiko Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Tesla Model S
    Model:
    II
    Can I do that at high speed?

5. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes.

6. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    So far, no one has told the OP the spacial purpose of 'B mode' and what it
    does to slow the car and prevent overcharging of the HV battery.

jdcollins5's recent explanation in another thread is about as short and good
    an explanation as I've read of late: (y)

Braddles.au, kensiko, css28 and 2 others like this.
  7. alfon

alfon Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thats why the Plug in Prius keeps on charging on those long downgrades and in fact is EPA rated
    49 mpg hwy instead of 48 the regular Prius hatchback.....

8. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not aware that the EPA test includes any downgrade, or ever tops the traction battery of the regular Prius. Are you sure it is this, and not the higher road speed in electric mode before the ICE is required to spin?

9. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Could be that it's the battery's higher current capability.

10. retired4999

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    More available Batter storage space and higher regen rate in the plug-in. Just my guess! :)

11. prius_in_pa

prius_in_pa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Normally, if I were going down a long hill in the summer time, I would turn on my A/C and set the temperature to the lowest setting. The A/C will consume some of the energy coming in from regen. If you used B mode to slow down the car, some energy will be captured by the battery while the rest will wasted. Rather than wasting that energy, I'd rather use it to cool my car down.

12. retired4999

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Nice Idea! Thanks! :)

13. kensiko

kensiko Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Tesla Model S
    Model:
    II
    Yes, good idea, I'll do that. I just learned recently that the AC will cool the battery too.

14. jonb505

jonb505 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    I experience similar challenges as OP, hilly area. To go anywhere in the city I have to go downhill, I get a flat road for about 30 seconds then its pure descending for a mile or 2. I notice instant fuel economy shows fuel use on these descents if the ICE is still in the warmup phase, basically its just idling, doing its warmup thing using fuel while going downhill.
    I've recently decided to try an experiment which sounds logical to me but please correct me if there is some flaw in my idea.
    So what i do is use B mode as soon as I start the descent and of course as per usual in B mode fuel is cut to the ICE, but the ICE is still being warmed up because its working as an air pump producing heat, right?
    After the I finish the descent I switch back to D mode and the ICE will sometimes shutoff, battery level permitting, indicating it is now warmed up.
    So is this a good idea, better than letting the ICE idle in D mode going down the hill even if the hill is too short to fill the battery using regen?

15. jonb505

jonb505 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    sorry double post :confused:

16. Grandpa Gone Wild

Grandpa Gone Wild New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just my two cents. I use the Torque app and it shows maximum 83.5% HV Battery charge when driving long grades in the B or D mode and that's it ! Once I reach 83.5 percent it will not charge higher no matter what I do to manipulate this condition. I think Toyota has a maximum charge condition engineered in. The MFD is showing full charge and when app shows upper 60 % range. The road used for the test was a 5 mile downhill with no ups or flats. In B mode it limited charging rate but still charges to 83.5 %.......D just gets to the max charge quicker. :D

jonb505 likes this.
  17. MPGnutcase

MPGnutcase Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Good point indeed

18. GSW

GSW PRIUS POWER

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a nice descent as well. Coming off a mountain into a valley I use regen to top off the battery and then use the stored battery power to stealth 1 1/2 miles through my neighborhood to my house. My house is on a hill and I get to do a smaller descent in the morning going to work. At the top of the mountain (4 miles from my house) I can zero out the mileage indicator and when I get home I'm reading 90+ mpg or 999 mpg. Really a lot of fun.

19. jonb505

jonb505 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Another thing I noticed on my daily hill descents is sometimes the battery level will show 1 bar below full yet act like its at max charge level. I haven't any apps or other indicators to know if it is in fact at 83.5% charge but i'm assuming the battery indicator is not precisely tied to the actual battery state of charge(more of a rough guide) and/or depending on the HV battery temperature the system will limit charge rate to keep it from overheating. Conversely After a long descent and a full indicated battery, the HSD seems to rely more heavily on the ICE for acceleration until the battery cools down. I've only had my prius for about 10 months but this car like no other continues to amaze me with its built in intelligence. :cool:

20. kensiko

kensiko Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Tesla Model S
    Model:
    II
    Yes I noticed that too, especially on some extremely abrupt hill in town here, I slow down on 100% charge rate at 20 mph and at some point I see the acceleration coming again even if the display is not showing all bars.