1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Long Term: 2004 Toyota Prius

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Tideland Prius, Jun 3, 2005.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Aggravated at the pessimistic gas gauge in our 2004 Toyota Prius, and curious to discover if the service bulletins mentioned in our last update actually fixed anything, our vehicle reviews editor, Jeff Bryan, went on a mission to find out just how far our hybrid would go beyond the "low fuel" warnings. For his experiment, Jeff stowed an emergency gallon of gas in the cargo area, and drove the Prius until it literally wouldn't move.

Now, we don't recommend anyone try this stunt (nor does Toyota), as damage to the hybrid components can result. We took the risk under the veil of "testing," and if anything did break, we'd foot the bill. Fortunately, our Prius survived the experiment unscathed.

Full Article

2. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I've always wondered about that. I have yet to witness the blinking "low fuel" warning. I've let the tank go down to one bar, but I've been too nervous to wait for the low fuel warning.

"Do not attempt this experiment at home" - good advice!