1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Long term, hybrids aren't the solution

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by ohershey, Jul 24, 2007.

1. ohershey

ohershey New Member

Memorandum of the President of the International Development Association and the International Finance Corporation to the Executive Directors on an Interim Strategy Update for the Federal Republic of Nigeria, February 13, 2002 , Report No. 23633-UNI, paragraph 15

2. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ya know. that is one of the bigger examples of wasted resources with a double whammy of destroying the environment as well. but there are many many more.

imm, nigeria is no different that a hummer driver who commutes alone to work. he is just as bad only on a smaller scale. multiply him by all the others who ALWAYS drive alone in vehicles designed for 5 or more.

3. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You are right. The Prius is just the first step with the ultimate goal being self reliant for power. When we do not need gas anymore they will not have to worry about their profit margins at all.

I was thinking the same thing. That is why I got a 6.5 KW PV solar system and a solar water heating system. I just wish Uncle Sam was a little more giving in the rebates. The federal rebate did not even cover the taxes I paid. :p And no there is not a state or city rebate where I live. :(

BTW, I usually always drive (in my Prius) in a car design for 5 people. The wife and I have totally different hours (even though we are in the same building) and there is no public transportation to my work at the hours I have to be there. Sometimes as early as 0530 hrs and as late as 1900 hrs.

But I figure I have found a new route which last tank got me 67 MPG and this tank I hope to top that. It only takes me 5-10 more minutes to get to work. The wife avgs 50 MPG in her Prius but she has many errands and side trips she runs. I think I talked her out of the Highlander or Lexus Hybrid to stick with our Prius.

4. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tadashi @ Jul 24 2007, 10:19 PM) [snapback]484492[/snapback]</div>

Just wait. You might be getting more than you thought.

Federal Solar tax credit extended.

"Extends a 30-percent tax credit, created in the Energy Policy Act of 2005, for the purchase of residential solar water heating and fuel cell property. Changes the maximum credit to $1,500 for each half-kilowatt of capacity for solar PV equipment and $1,000 for each kilowatt of capacity for fuel cells."

Might be retroactive to Jan 1, 2007.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mad Hatter @ Jul 24 2007, 11:28 AM) [snapback]484165[/snapback]</div>
    Globalisation backlash.

Sound like what Devil's Advocate is advocating:
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Devil's Advocate @ Jul 24 2007, 12:29 PM) [snapback]484197[/snapback]</div>
    I.E. Not enough money in it and NO incentives to "do the right thing". Despite their legal standing corporations are not people, do not have morals, ethics or a conscience. It's really too bad Nigeria isn't powerful or organized enough to solicit bid for their natural gas and negotiate it's sale. There must be SOME company out there willing to take on the project on the chance NG prices will go up. And they will. NG either has or soon will peak as well.

5. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I hope that bill is passed and retroactive, but I thought I still read in there somewhere there is still a cap on the max credit around $2k or $4k.

6. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tadashi @ Jul 25 2007, 08:38 PM) [snapback]485158[/snapback]</div>
    I think this raises it: "Changes the maximum credit to $1,500 for each half-kilowatt of capacity for solar PV equipment"

I didn't read anything about a $2,000 cap. Seems kinda stupid to raide the credit but keep the cap the same.

7. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Never underestimate the levels of stupidity that our government can achieve. Sometimes I wonder how our country ever made it as a super power.

8. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tadashi @ Jul 26 2007, 10:43 PM) [snapback]485968[/snapback]</div>
    We were just less f***ed up than the other guys. It's not about being better, it's about being not as bad.

9. ohershey

ohershey New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tripp @ Jul 26 2007, 11:08 PM) [snapback]485990[/snapback]</div>
    Striving for mediocrity for 231 years! It's all about stamina.

10. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mad Hatter @ Jul 27 2007, 09:47 PM) [snapback]486524[/snapback]</div>
    ;) ;)