1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

long term storage

Discussion in 'Prius c Technical Discussion' started by raddtracey, Mar 26, 2013.

1. raddtracey

raddtracey New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two

I love my C. Have to travel for 6 months though and need to put it in storage. I am wondering about potential risks associated with having a car 'sit.'

Please, I am NOT looking for responses that say 'have a friend drive it for you.' Obviously. But that's just not an option in my case and I am specifically looking to find out what are the real risks in letting a car sit WITHOUT running it.

I had one Toyota tech tell me that there is no danger in letting it sit for 6 months. The only harm would be that the small battery might die, but even if it did, it is covered under warranty. That's it, he said. In any case that's about a $300 fix if it wasn't under warranty. Not the end of the world.

But I'd love to check in with owners to see if anyone has also let their prius or prius c sit for an extended time.

Many thanks in advance

PS I am in Los Angeles so climate is no big deal. Thanks!!! :)

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    put a battery tender on the 12 volt battery. if you can't, disconnect it. see if the manual gives any advice on the hybrid battery. pump up the tires to max sidewall pressure or put it on jack stands. be prepared for very rusty brakes when you come back, if you live in a moist area, but that will wear off after awhile. i don't think there will be any major issues. all the best!

3. Rob.au

Rob.au Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    i-Tech
    From Section 1-1 of the manual, relating to the HV battery:

4. Les_PL

Les_PL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm not the C owner but Gen III. Anyway - I left my Prius for 3 months. My wife was told to turn it on every week for half an hour to maintain 12V battery charged. Unfortunately she has also to travel and when I came back the 12V was dead flat. I jump started the car (first time with another vehicle, then - using motorcycle battery). Everything was perfect. The HV battery showed almost full charge (two bars only less from top). Of course 12V accu is to be replaced, but in general the car is running fine. And climate here (North Poland) is more aggressive than L.A. during winter months. The garage where the car was stored is unheated, temperatures around 32-42 F. No worries. Being on you place I would remove 12V from the car and connect it to some trickle charger.
    Also the idea of the jack stands is correct - to release tension from the suspension and to avoid deformation of tires.
    Whether the storage is clean (free of dust, humidity and spiders ;) consider to leave one window quarter inch open - if any moisture is left inside.

5. raddtracey

raddtracey New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
  6. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Sell this Prius.

When you can care for a Prius again, buy another Prius.

The Prius is a great car to drive, it does not sit well. Not more than 3 weeks, at best.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    from rob's post of the owners manual, i would try to charge up the hv battery as much as possible before parking it. i think you can hold the brake down with one foot and floor the accellerator to force charge the battery.

8. Les_PL

Les_PL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    zdziwko.gif
    In Drive mode?

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, there are posts here somewhere. maybe it's only gen II, i'm not sure.

10. Rob.au

Rob.au Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    i-Tech
    Isn't the car meant to automatically overrule the accelerator command if you keep your foot on the brake?

11. Les_PL

Les_PL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I did try it now. Not much difference than leaving in "P" mode. ICE is not revving too high, besides - the Energy Monitor shows power delivery to wheels - somehow I have a feeling that is not "healthy" for the HSD. In addition - imagine - incidentally you may release the brake for any reasons and you may rocket forward making almost "wheelie"... :eek: