1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Long-time reader. First-time poster. Funny answer from Toyota re: snow handling problems

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by hbmindy, Dec 16, 2010.

1. hbmindy

hbmindy New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have found PriusChat to be a great resource when I have questions on our Prius, so thanks for being here!!

I got a very amusing response from Toyota that I thought I'd share here. I emailed them regarding the terrible handling issues my 2007 Prius has in the snow, particularly going up any hill. Since we live on a small mountain, this happens just about every time we get snow. And yes, I finally broke down and ordered snow tires, so I'm hoping that will help. But I just wanted Toyota to know I wasn't happy.

So here is the response I got this morning:

Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.

We are sorry to hear of the concern you experienced in trying to drive up a slight incline in the snow.

The traction control system cannot be disabled. We recommend barely touching the throttle and attempt to travel up snowy inclines in a zig zag manner to improve traction and prevent the rolling backward in a straight line. When the traction control system senses any wheel slippage the throttle will shut down to protect the expensive transaxle in the Prius. The Prius either has either no torque or full torque and the torque is instantaneous. This is the reason the throttle shuts down immediately otherwise the axle may be broken.

A zig zag manner???!!! Really? I'm sure the driver coming down the hill will understand when I hit him head-on that I was only following Toyota's recommendations. Oh well, at least I won't break the expensive transaxle in my Prius. Whew. What a relief.

2. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Wow.

Toyota has finally come clean that their "traction control" system is meant to protect the HSD system, not to aid in traction

3. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    copy this thread while you can! you know its going to get deleted LMAO.

4. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Actually that was a very good response! Good snow tires will make a world of difference.
    Cheers,
    Hal

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Zig-zagging is a common technique with front wheel drive and four wheel drive vehicles. You don't zig-zag into the other lane, you swing the wheels from side to side to give them a fresh bite and to keep snow from piling up in front of the tires.

Tom

1 person likes this.
  6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't believe that this is a secret. The Toyota technical docs make it clear that the behavior of the system is intended to prevent overreving MG1.

7. narf

narf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Good snow tires make all the difference. I ice-autocross my Prius and have won my class (bare tire FWD) at many events. I am currently using Blizzak WS70s. I'll take my Prius in snow over an SUV with stock tires any day.

8. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    +1

And it can be disabled if needed. But if you do not know about the zig/zag technique then I doubt you receive any snow that cannot be overcome with more driver training.

9. danboy

danboy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    +1

10. s3nfo

s3nfo Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I've known about this since I bought my first Prius new in '05. Appearently it's a fairly well known "secret".

11. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I was being sarcastic

12. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the clarification. For a moment there, I was also thinking "wasn't this mentioned before?" i.e. the fact that the TRAC was designed to protect the electric motor.

13. alg

alg Junior Member

Don't blame the vehicle if you still have the original Goodyear Integrity tires... absolutely the worst tires I have ever had for driving in rain (major hydroplaning). Bought the Nokian WRs and recently the newer WR G2... fantastic traction in any condition I have faced in Pacific NorthWest and mileage does not suffer.

14. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Of course, if Toyota had actually done product testing in a real winter climate, they would have quickly realized their "traction control" would be a major problem for getting around

Another goof they made is with the FJ Cruiser. I'm not talking about defective rear axles, frame cracks, or fender bulges. Nor about the traction control, which actually does work

I'm referring to the amazing oversight of a vehicle apparently intended to operate in winter climates, but without heated mirrors. Every other Toyota, except base model Yaris and Corolla's, offer heated mirrors

15. Simtronic

Simtronic Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius PHV
    Model:
    Business Ed. Plus
    The UK Prius don't have heated mirrors or the thermos, such a shame. Have overcome mirrors but I doubt the infrastructure is there to reverse the lack of thermos bottle.

16. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Your European Prius also doesn't have:

• Fuel tank bladder
    • Drum rear brakes
    Eliminating these make the European Prius superior to the US version.

The elimination of the Thermos is also a reduction in complexity:

• Thermos assembly
    • Thermos Water pump
    • Coolant valve
    Each of which has caused some US customers expensive problems. You can regain the heat savings by installing an inexpensive electric block heater that fits into an existing hole in the engine block.

These were good decisions by Toyota Europe.

JeffD

17. MtnHighPrius

MtnHighPrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I can't believe Toyota would make a car that won't allow you to spin the wheels so fast that you melt the snow under the tires. I mean isn't that the most efficient way to drive in the snow with a car made for saving fuel? lol

Isn't it interesting that the the majority of vehicles that I see spun off the side of the roads are SUVs? Maybe its the drivers and not the vehicles.

18. bac

bac Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    You are missing the point here. The Prius simply won't go uphill in the snow relative to other FWD autos with traction control. That is the point.

I understand traction contol and why it's there. In the Prius, the traction control is very different and MUCH more aggresive. There may be valid engineering reasons for this, but the bottom line is that it make the Prius a pretty weak snow machine.

MY EXPERIENCE
    I only found out this year (bought mine in spring of '08) about the traction control problem as I moved to an area with legitimate hills. With just 1 or 2 inches of snow on the road, I could not drive up my development. I though the road must just be icy/unpassable. That was up unitl a Toyota Camry (and a few other FWD cars) passed me. The Camry went up and down the development at will. I spent 30+ minutes trying not to crash my car.

I parked at the bottom and walked the half mile up to my house. I really don't think I should have to do this every time it snows this Winter. I'm looking at a 4WD alternative now.

-Brad

EDIT: FYI, I have almost new all season Michellin tires on my Prius. The Camry had worn out tires - maybe even summer tires.

19. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    What type of tires do you have? My experience is that my Prius does as well as the average front-wheel-drive car in snow, but only if you replace the really horrible OEM tires with real tires made for snow.

Tom

20. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's been nearly 3 years now, it's still here!