1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Long Vacation - Amazing Fuel Economy

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by PJO, Jul 7, 2006.

1. PJO

PJO New Member

I just wanted to share my experiences taking a rather long trip in my ’06 Prius. On June 26th my wife, two teenage daughters and I packed up for a roundtrip from Tucson, AZ. to Fort Collins, CO., with a three day stop up in Breckinridge CO. This was a trip with 4 people and a full load of luggage (4 good size suitcases, a cooler and lots of miscellaneous other stuff). We drove between 75 and 80 on the interstates, climbed over some 11000 foot mountain passes, and used the A/C most of the time. In total the trip was over 2100 miles, most of which was under some of the worst conditions for achieving high gas mileage. In spite of all that, we averaged an amazing 47.2 mpg.

The car performed flawlessly – as expected. Got to experience going up long mountains and using all the power in the batteries, and going down long hills and fully charging the batteries. I was also amazed that we could pack as much stuff as we did and still be able to see out the back window. Also, as expected the car did struggle a little to stay at about 60 mph when making the long climbs on I-70, but it was never a problem.

The only complaint we all had was the seats. A little too firm to sit in for 10 hour days. Other than that, we were all quite pleased, and amazed at the mileage.

Has anyone else taken long family vacations in their Prius? I would love to read about your experiences.

2. barbaram

barbaram Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My longest trip so far was a short one to Rochester NY from Trenton, NJ:
    date Miles Gal MPG
    5/2/2006 371.7 7.267 51.14902986
    5/2/2006 341.2 6.541 52.16327779
    5/5/2006 366.3 8.218 44.57288878
    totals 1079.2 22.026 48.99664033

The 3rd tank driving was a bit different- took some back roads instead of the interstates and drove on RT20 from Weedsport to Rt 81- a stretch with some real rollercoaster hills- also ran into construction delays. Am heading to CT this weekend . Always use AC on highway- it's much too noisy with windows down!

I'm at the point where sitting for too long is uncomfortable period, so I really can't complain specifically about the prius!

3. lilrdwgn

lilrdwgn New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We just got back from a trip to Niagara Falls, Canada from North Carolina. Almost 1,850 miles driven and averaged 46 MPG. I now have 3,600 miles on my car so figure it is not fully broken in. Added Rostra lumbar supports to our factory leather seats before the trip and they sure come in handy. Nice trip and car performed flawlessly, Navigation system and all. :)