1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Long Wait Lists/Dealer's Charging a Premium?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Oracle, May 15, 2008.

1. Oracle

Oracle New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I'm going to be in the market for a new car about early to mid 2009. Do you think there will be waiting lists for the 2009 Prius? Are they there already? What are the prospects for actually getting the new prius from a dealership at, or below sticker? How long a wait do you estimate there will be?

A lot of questions I know. What I'm looking for is the best way to proceed given that I'll be in the market next year, and looking for a new prius. Your best guesses, and recommendations based on them, would be appreciated.

Thanks much.

2. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's hard to see that far ahead. The Prius will have a redesign about the time frame you're talking about, so a 2009 model year probably wouldn't have a big wait, since other people would want the new model. Unless they ramp down production before the new ones come out, I think this is what happened when the 2004 model year came out, I remember looking at the new Prius then and the dealer quoted us a 12-14 month waiting period! But I think Toyota has ramped up their production considerably since then, but still not enough.

3. joephu

joephu New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Think along the lines of Nintendo Wii. Decent price but you're gonna have to wait in line :rolleyes:

4. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Lots of variables but here is my best guess.

Do you think there will be waiting lists for the 2009 Prius? Yes, how long depends on gas price and production rate.

Are they there already? In some areas.

What are the prospects for actually getting the new prius from a dealership at, or below sticker? Slim to none in major metropolitan areas.

How long a wait do you estimate there will be? Less than the 6 months I waited for my '04.

5. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Accuracy please...

The 2009's due here in Sept Oct will not be any different than the 2008's. The lead times will be determined by the market. At that time of the year fuel is normally going down, auto sales are going down and availability should be OK. If fuel keeps going up all bets are off.

The 2010 model due here in mid 2009 will be the different one!!! For the 5 door hatch version shown in the websites recently I'd expect a HUGE demand ( hopefully a HUGE supply ) a significant price increase probably topping out at $30-$31K.

It's going to be..
    bigger ( more money )
    more powerful ( more money )
    with better fuel economy ( more money )
    with hopefully new additional features ( more money )
    arriving in Spring when fuel will be hitting $5/gal across the country ( guess what we will be willing to pay? ... more money )
    with a US$ which is becoming increasingly worthless day by day ( needing more money to be paid by us the buyers to maintain the revenue to the builder )

It's just a business and they have a product in demand with impeccable timing.

Hopefully they will also offer at that time a smaller Prius with even better fuel economy but at a lower price point, $20K - $25K for example.

6. sbpwjm

sbpwjm New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    any word on when dealers will start taking orders for the 2010? something tells me folks will sign up before even getting details!

i'm still trying to decide if i should jump on an '09 and get the last of what has been a 'great' thing... or hold off for the 2010...

heck... by the time the 2010 prius comes out, there is supposed to be new hybrids from Honda out (Fit and FCX derivative)...

what is the word on dealers taking 2010 orders?

7. Genoz World

Genoz World ZEN-style living

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    PRIUS III, i heard a plug-in hybrid.....................now, i'm not an expert, but does that mean that having an electrical plug is MANDATORY????? is charging the new PIII a MUST??

if this is a stupid question, sorry.

8. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No it's not a stupid question. If there is a plugin Prius then it may have to be plugged in. My guess it that it won't be mandatory.

Here's what I see as a 'timeline'

mid-2009 Toyota debuts the new Gen 3 model as shown in these threads with the specs noted on several sites. It will be only a 'traditional' NiMH hybrid with very very good features. IMO this part is nearly 100% certain.

They may or may not also bring one or two other Prius models out at the same time. All speculation now.

Then in mid 2011 a new 'premium' Prius trim is added with plug-in capabilities using Li-Ion technology. But the vehicle is still a parallel hybrid as opposed to GM's series hybrid Volt E-REV. This means that the Prius will have some range of EV-only capability but when that is used up it becomes a super capable traditional Toyota hybrid.

You won't have to buy a plugin Prius unless you want to spend the money for it.

9. hawaiiguide

hawaiiguide Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    In 2008 some salesman are being told to not discuss the 2009.

2009 prices will be $3000.00 above sticker in Southern California... bet on it.

10. PriusSport

PriusSport senior member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If A123 perfects that Li iron phosphate battery they have, I predict electric cars going 0-60 in 5 seconds in a couple of years. That's the one GM is testing for the Volt. The T-shaped battery.

11. HomeandRanch

HomeandRanch New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I ordered my '09 last week. They told me 6 months. Package 2 with leather seats.

12. hiremichaelreid

hiremichaelreid New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I think you may hold the record now for longest reported wait time. But I don't think I've seen any wait estimates for 2009 until your post.

13. HomeandRanch

HomeandRanch New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yeah I do not even have a price. I will pay MSRP. Now do I trade in my V8 truck or V6 car?

Has anyone had any problems fitting an infant and a booster seat in the back? Dealer told me it wouldn't be a problem.

14. hiremichaelreid

hiremichaelreid New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I

Child seats should be no problem. Lotsa room back there. At least one person reported success installing 3 child seats.

V6 car might not be too hard to trade if it gets reasonable fuel economy.

V8 truck ? Forget about it, unless you get lucky with a private sale. How old, how many miles and what kind of truck ? If it's not worth much, consider keeping it as a backup vehicle, if that has any value to you.

I'm trying to sell my 1994 320 HP, 18 MPG Stealth Turbo now for $10k as-is (or $12k certified/safetied). I'll take $8k private sale. In theory, dealer should offer me $6k as trade-in but I bet they'd try to get it for $2-3k and sell it at auction for $4-6k.

So, unless or until I get $8k I'll be keeping the Stealth as backup car for my wife (99 Subaru Legacy) and myself (2008 Prius). If it doesn't sell in the next 4-24 months I'll probably just try to "dump" it for $5-6k. Below $5k I'll just keep it. It still runs very nice, it's just expensve and/or a lot of work when something breaks.

15. HomeandRanch

HomeandRanch New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    '05 Silverado and it only 29k Miles. Has a little bit of body damage which I may or may not get it fixed. I bought back in the day when they had employee pricing plus I got some other stuff discounted. I know it is only going to get worse so I want to get rid of one of my guzzlers now. After December I wont need the truck anymore.

Thanks

16. sbpwjm

sbpwjm New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    i was told by a dealer today that if i wanted a prius... it would have to be an order at MSRP and it would be 6 months...

if i am going to wait 6 months i might as well hang on and see what honda comes up with as well as to see what the 'next' prius looks like...

17. joe1347

joe1347 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Checking the dealer web sites in Maryland, there still seems to be a few Priuses available selling now for MSRP, while 2 months ago you could buy a Prius for $200 below invoice with plenty in stock.

18. ProfessorPrius

ProfessorPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

officially, Toyota has stated the eventual plug-in option will be an option, not mandatory.

I'm sure this has been covered, but the current plan is to offer the plug-in to commercial clients first and then to the general public within a few months of the initial release.

However, while Toyota is the ultraconservative company we all love, that info is only as good as today and may change tomorrow.

19. joe1347

joe1347 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Looks like MSRP is so last month. One of the few MD dealers that lists prices is selling a pkg#2 for almost $2000 over MSRP. This is the same dealer that was at MSRP last month and and selling for invoice a few months ago.

FitzMall : 2008 Toyota Prius

20. Lanshark

Lanshark New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    In Metro Atlanta the waits for dealers selling at MSRP is to the middle of next year. They want 500 or 1000 to get on the list.

Locally, we have one dealer with a $5000 premium, one with a $2500 premium and another with a $2000. These dealers have much shorter waits. If you go out of the metro Atlanta area the premium is typically $1000.