1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Long winter, high altitude trip results!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by icarus, Jan 27, 2008.

1. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We just completed a 5000 mile trip over the intermountain west in our 07 standard package 5. There are a number of observations that I though I would share. The bulk of the trip was at altitudes above 5000' with many passes over 8000' (The route was from Bellingham, Wa to Tucson via eastern OR, Central NV, Grand Canyon, Then on to El Paso, up to Santa Fe, Mesa Verde, Glen Canyon, Zion, Bryce, Elko NV, back to Boise and Portland.

The weather was cold almost all the way, with average daytime temps in the 20's (even in AZ) and nights between 0 and 20f. With the scan gauge, I found that I could not keep the temp at 185 or above without plugging all but the bottom vent strip. Even with the grill plugged, keeping the heat on ~ 75 in the cabin it was a struggle to stay warm. The mileage took a HUGE hit when the coolant temp dropped below 180f. Pulling many mountain passes with all but the bottom slit closed never caused the temp to rise above 205f. Going down long grades it would drop to as low as 130!

The average fuel mileage was ~50. Most tanks were about 52.5, one as low as 47.5 and two 56.5! The mileage was considerably better in hilly/mountainous country. Counterintuitivelly, the car uses less gas up a long grade, and then down for equal miles, than the same miles on level ground.

Interesting, the mileage was BEST on the few tanks of 83-85 octane "regular" sold in CO, AZ and NV. In other words, the mileage improves with the lower octane!

The average speed on the trip was about 65mph. It is a nice cruising speed on the two lane out west. Drafting semi's on the 4 lane helps keep the speed down a bit.

As for snow. The drive from John Day OR, to Tonapah NV was on snow covered, slippery road, as was the return drive from Ely NV to Portland. For all the bad rub the car gets in snow, I have to say it performed way better than expected. With the original tires and without driving crazy, I could maintain 60 on the snow packed road without feeling scared. Near the coast where the temp neared freezing the road was considerably slipperier and the knuckles were a bit whiter, mostly because of the increased traffic. There was no time when I worried about having the traction to get going, or the stability to keep going. The vsc never came on, and the traction control only came on in a frozen parking lot. ( I did some test driving skid pad tests on a big empty parking lot and the car handled like almost any other front wheel drive car, you can steer it with the the throttle, but it is hard to get it to full skid.

All in all the car outperformed expectations. I think that Toyota needs to come up with way to keep the engine warmer if it wants to succeed in colder climates. I am going to consider a full bra with removable panels to plug the grill. I also think that a scan gauge is essential however if you plug the grills more than 80%. ( I did up plug the second lower grill when the temp got above 50f going through Vegas in traffic, but I needn't have as the temp stuck around 185f)

I did note that the thermostat begins to open at 185, but is not fully open until 205f so for the entire trip, the radiator was not used at all (for all intents and purposes!) It would be nice to measure the inverter and mg1 temps but I have no doubt that there was never a time when they got anywhere near too warm.

Icarus

2. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I tried to add this as an edit, but it wouldn't work.

An interesting PS. to the above post: With the scan gauge I realized that the second to last battery charge bar lights at 75%. The last light lights at 80% The HV battery NEVER gets charged more than 80%. No matter how long a downgrade you are on, the voltage will stop going up at 80%, with the HV voltage ~240volts

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Excellent report.

Thanks,
    Bob Wilson

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've seen 83% once and 81 & 82% a couple of times with CAN-View....but not for long.

5. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The highest I've seen with CAN-View is 82%, after a long descent in the Appalachians.

Good report, Icarus!

6. priusincc

priusincc Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Great report. I can relate, since most of my driving is around 5000 ft. Considering the conditions, you got an excellant average mpg.

7. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    A little OT, I've noticed that only the 'Advanced' edit seems to work without a problem. The simple edit often hangs for minutes. No explanation, just how this board seems to work with my home computer.

Bob Wilson

8. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Thanks for the report. I've been on most of those roads, though during better weather :)

Agreed that in many winter driving conditions it is tough to keep the Prius engine room warm enough.

9. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Icarus?
    High altitude?
    How are those wings holdin' up?
    _H*

10. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hybrid wax! lol

Icarus

11. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I note the same Bob.

Great write up. Happy to see the Prius did a good job. Maybe the block neads a coat of insulation over it?

12. tbirdhs

tbirdhs Tbirdhs

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I had similar results close to sea level , check out my notes at POST "Working on my first winter 50+ tank" I got better mileage with cruise off and pulse and glide. Also some drafting worked well to bring the mileage up.

13. spf

spf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: High altitude mpg vs. sea level mpg

Hey all,
    My father was driving at high altitude (5k - 7k ft up) in CO and NM a few days ago and noticed his mpg improved around 5mpg after going about 500 miles at these altitudes, with all else being equal. He thought it could be due to the lower air pressure, but wouldn't the computer/fuel injection system take this into account?

Or asking it another way, are any of you experiencing the same thing, or are you getting the same mpg as at lower elevations?

Thanks!

14. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Re: High altitude mpg vs. sea level mpg

Air is thinner at high elevations and aero drag is the biggest source of drag at speed. So you will get best fuel economy at high altitude in hot, humid weather (all three factors reduce the density of air).

Yes, the computer/fuel injection system notes the thinning of the air and uses a device called a mass air flow sensor to compensate by accurately measuring the amount of air entering the engine and then using feedback from the O2 sensors to make final adjustments.

15. berinker

berinker New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Airplanes with ICE's fly much faster at higher altitudes at the same power setting as at sea level because the air is thinner so there is less drag. Hot dry air also provides the same effect although the engine will run smoother (not more efficiently) in moist air. My 06 Prius averages 46.2 at low altitudes but nudges 50 mpg over 5000 feet altitude (65/75 mph).