1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Longtime Priuschat Lurker :)

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by theborghomeworld, Apr 11, 2008.

1. theborghomeworld

theborghomeworld New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hey All!
    I've been a longtime lurker, posting here and there a few times. :behindsofa: I guess I should finally introduce myself!

I have a 2006 Seaside Blue #2, and absolutely love the car! It's the first car I ever had, and it's been great to me!!!!
    > excellent mileage (~46 mpg because I travel at high warp) :rolleyes:
    > the hatchback design allows me to carry a ton of stuff! about once a week, i need to cart around a sound system. my friends used to try squeeze it into their cars. but it's so effortless in my prius! just fold down the rear seats. (now i end up doing most of the carting around.) :eek:
    > it appeals to my tech nerd side (over several years, amassed a virtual-machine equipped laptop, a LAMP server, and a dual-screen dual-boot workstation with a SSH server). (it amazes my classmates that I can access my computer remotely). :ranger:

I would never trade this car for anything else! And I love this site, I learn something new all the time. Thank you Prius experts!

Cheers!
    Andrew

PS: I've been wondering how many computers the Prius carts around with it, and what each computer primarily does. Any ideas?

2. BoisePrius

BoisePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Welcome! Day 3 owner here as well!!!

3. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    There are a bunch of them. There are 3 separate communications buses - CAN, BEAN, and AVC-LAN so they can all talk to each other.

On the CAN bus, there are 6 ECU (electronic control units):

ECM - Engine Control Module - controls fuel delivery , spark, valve timing, etc.
    HV ECU - determines best use of ICE, MG1, MG2 depending upon conditions
    Battery ECU - monitors SOC, battery temp, sends request to HV ECU for charge or discharge depending on SOC
    Skid Control ECU - determines how/when to apply brakes, controls ABS, VSC
    EPS ECU - Electronic Power Steering ECU - determines how much assist, also report turn angle to Skid Control ECU for VSC
    Gateway ECU - translator between CAN bus and BEAN and AVC-LAN

Note: I am simplifying as much as possible for brevity, so description may not be technically correct and I am leaving out some functions.

The AVC-LAN includes the MFD (multi-function display) , the NAV ECU, and the Audio System.

The BEAN (body electronics area network) includes everything else - AC ECU, SKS system, TPMS, HID leveling ECU, etc. I don't actually know how many ECUs are on the BEAN.

Attached Files:

4. theborghomeworld

theborghomeworld New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    thanks for the welcome, BoisePrius!

and thanks for the info, Dogfriend! I was always curious about the electronics in the car. :)