1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Look closely before entering

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by San_Carlos_Jeff, May 11, 2006.

1. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Had a funny thing happen yesterday afternoon. I was late for a meeting in another building and didn't have time to take the shuttle. So I hustled out to the parking lot (at work, big company) and hopped into "my" silver Prius. I noticed that it didn't beep when opening the door, but didn't think to much about it. Then I noticed that there was a Subway cup in the cup holder. It took a few seconds but then it registered that this wasn't my car. I got out looked around and found my car two spots over hiding behind an SUV. It may be my imagination, but I think she was laughing at me.

2. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    ROFL... I did the same with my Maxima one or twice (ok, I didn't get into it but stood outside trhing to unlock it for some time).... never thought it would happen with a prius but it's a good thing if it does!

This is one car I don't mind if everyone drives one just like me!

3. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    And the lesson is, always lock your car, so someone else doesn't get into it thinking it's his.

Of course, this can happen with any kind of car.

Yesterday I came out of the grocery store and saw someone messing around my car. Then he got in!!! Then I remembered that my car was parked farther down the row. The other guy drove by just as I had opened the door of my car, and we waved like crazy people at each other.

4. bigj3347

bigj3347 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    yup, same thing happened to me, I approached the car, pulled on the handle, expecting it to open, when it didn't, i spent about 30 seconds fishing for my key fob and trying to unlock it, it wasn't until i realized the beeping sound wasn't coming from the car i was standing next to did i realize it wasn't my prius. Reminds me of the Southwest Airlines, "Wanna get Away" commercials. good thing the car owner wasn't around, at least i don't think he was.

5. tmorrowus

tmorrowus Member

I put a foam "jack in the box" type thingy on my antenna so I can recognize my car. Also helps finding it in a row of cars because it sticks up. Before that I had an experience like the OP. Actually we both seem to live in San Carlos so maybe it was his car.

6. j24816

j24816 New Member

I left a Pizza on roof of MY car, ran back to help wife with the (then) very young children, got back to MY car to find a guy holding MY pizza. oops!

7. Drift Motion

Drift Motion RMS13

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    theres lots of new prius around me
    the other day walkin 2 school, i saw about 6 prius, most are 06 model, all with the package 5? one with all the options
    i was like dayum, that popular? my trip to school takes about 20min

8. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(San_Carlos_Jeff @ May 11 2006, 09:50 AM) [snapback]253549[/snapback]</div>
    I'll bet you a dollar that the owner of this car THOUGHT it was locked with the fancy SKS fob. I know that some dealers tell new buyers that they just have to keep the fob in their pocket - and the vehicle will unlock and lock itself.

9. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ May 11 2006, 11:35 PM) [snapback]253948[/snapback]</div>
    And just to be clear to our new and forthcoming Prius brethren - it don't work like that. Even with the SKS, you still have to press the little black button on the exterior door handle after the doors are shut in order to lock the doors.

Funny story, actually. When I took a test drive of a rental Prius, I couldn't make the SKS unlock the door by simply touching the handle. I grabbed the handle while pressing the little black button - the car unlocked, but immediately re-locked. I was baffled, and ended up just pulling the fob out of my pocket and unlocking the "old fashioned" way.

Six months later, when I took delivery of my Prius, I finally read in the manual that you were only to press that little black button when you wanted to LOCK the door, not unlock it. I really feel smart about that one (sarcasm)!

10. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brandon @ May 11 2006, 09:50 PM) [snapback]253953[/snapback]</div>
    Don't feel bad Brandon I did the thumb thing for a bit after I first got my lil rebel. I had to "train" my thumb to stay out of the way.
    I was nearly hit by aanother Salsa Prius on a little side street here in La Mesa. I was waiting to come out of a T stop and she was cutting the corner. What a picture that would be!

11. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ May 12 2006, 12:35 AM) [snapback]253948[/snapback]</div>
    Those wacky salespeople :rolleyes:

12. EricGo

EricGo New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Salsawonder @ May 12 2006, 01:11 AM) [snapback]253961[/snapback]</div>
    Me too )

13. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tmorrowus @ May 11 2006, 07:11 PM) [snapback]253804[/snapback]</div>
    That's funny. I frequently don't lock it in SC so it's very possible.

14. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    my car looks different from pretty much all angles. i like it that way, and i never miss which car is mine :D

black ones are rare around here anyway so i guess that puts me one step ahead of the game.

15. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I did the thumb thing occasionally for the first week too.

Just yesterday I cleared up why my wife's fob didn't unlock. She'd been pressing the button too.

She doesn't drive the car, but with a fob in her purse she sometimes unlocks it. Especially now that she realizes the button, enticing as it is, shouldn't be pressed to unlock!