1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

looking at a 2009 with 120k miles for 6400

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by zooracer, May 12, 2017.

1. zooracer

zooracer New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    and it is being sold by a dealer who has no history on the vehicle.

he does have a Carfax, which I will view once I get there on Monday to check the car out.

so I pulled up the service history with the VIN from Toyota ...

I'm trying to attach...hopefully it goes through...

anyways, at about 4/8/2014 at 79K miles the car was brought in and the dealer recommended a bunch of stuff including engine replacement? Everything the dealer recommended (cabin air filter, etc) was denied by the customer and not completed.

four months and two thousand miles later, the car is brought into a different dealer and is given an inspection and some maintenance work is done and it is noted the 12v battery needed to be jumped to start.

Now, I'm thinking the car was found to have some major issues, and the owner on 4/8/2014 decided it wasn't worth it and got rid of the car. Not sure how exactly. Maybe the Carfax will shed some light when I see it.

The fact that the battery was dead leads me to believe the car sat, like maybe on an auction parking lot or something...

So now I'm sort of suspicious and wondering why the dealer recommended engine replacement. I'm wondering if maybe excessive oil consumption, but that is pretty early mileage wise...

looks like either not much of the regular maintenance was done...or was done at a private shop.

the car appears clean and has leather, which is important for me as it will be my uber/lyft car and easier to clean...plus it has reached near the bottom of it's depreciation and I plan to just drive it till the wheels fall off...which I kind of how I've always done it.
    amateur mechanic with a bit of experience...but new to hybrids. Although thanks to this forum, not in the dark at all really ;)

well that was weird...the report I posted in the first post was not mine...no idea how that happened...lol

this is the right one

Attached Files:

2. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I'd put that car at high risk unless you can determine that work was done on the items the dealer reported as in need of repair. I wouldn't trust the say-so of a dealer unless he can provide receipts and invoices showing what and who did the repairs. If the repairs weren't done, you could be getting a bad deal costing you a bundle.

zooracer likes this.
  3. timmyjane

timmyjane Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That seems expensive to me.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    don't let the leather blind you.:cool:

MilkyWay likes this.
  5. zooracer

zooracer New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    from looking around it seemed like a good price?
    I'm actually looking at seat covers if I were to buy one with cloth seats.
    I don't think I was being blinded by the leather...lol
    that is kind of my price range...I could maybe go a little higher. Seems like the 2010's are a big jump in price over the 09's

6. zooracer

zooracer New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    the thing I cannot get my mind around is why did the dealer recommend engine replacement, and if the owner didn't do it, how is the car still running?
    only thing I can think of is high oil consumption.
    And there is no way to determine if the car has that until I buy it and drive it...right?

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you look carefully, you will see that they recommended 'replace engine', replace cabin' which would mean the filters. unfortunately, dealer software doesn't always spell everything out for the consumer.

fotomoto likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if it's a good price in your area, that's all you can do, unless you don't mind traveling further.
    the 2010's can be iffy because of oil burning problems around 100k, and there's no way to determine it at inspection. so be careful, if you decide to go that route.

9. StephenJ

StephenJ Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    That sounds like a good price to me. Within 200 miles of me there was only a couple 09's for sale. I just bought a 09 touring with 109k that is super super clean and paid 7k OTD for it.

Maybe find a Toyota dealer close by and spend a little money getting them to go over it. Maybe do the oil consumption test (I THINK you'll spend a few hundred dollars for that though).

Good luck! Hope it's a good one!

#9 StephenJ, Aug 27, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
  10. MilkyWay

MilkyWay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Expensive. I could have got you a mint 2012 Plug-in for that price but that ship has sailed.

You need to click "view all service history":

1.JPG

Then "Download details"

2.JPG

On 4/8/14 @ 79,035 miles they most likely forgot to type filter:

3.JPG

Because he got the water pump replaced under warranty and skipped all the service he needed to pay for.

And 4 months later on 8/12/14 @ 82,585 he purchased brand new michelins with wheel alignment. Why rotate bald tires?

4.JPG